The Evening Star - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Evening Star Reviews

July 16, 2016
Shirley MacLaine should have won another Oscar for this sequel also! I have no idea why it didn't make even the budget at the Box Office. It was a Christmas movie of 1996. It had to have been bad timing. This gem of a film is so tucked away that I never knew it existed until Netflix came along! Now I bought the DVD and look at merchandise of the movie on Ebay. This script and the actors are perfection! This is my favorite movie. I don't watch Terms of Endearment like I watch this one. Such a GREAT movie!
April 28, 2015
An afterthought sequel.
April 13, 2015
I have neglected my life.

Aurora Greenway has gotten much older since we saw her in Terms of Endearment and she has sense raised her daughter's kids and they are now getting to the age of moving out. She deals with an internal divide to ensure her grandchildren's safety and happiness versus living to be happy herself.

"You can love them but you can't live their life."

Robert Harling, writer of the screen plays for Steel Magnolias, Soapdish, The First Wives Club, and Laws of Attraction, delivers The Evening Star in his directorial debut. The storyline for this film was very well written and contains great dialogue and fantastic character development. The acting was also first rate as the cast includes Shirley MacLaine, Bill Paxton, Juliette Lewis, Jack Nicholson, Scott Wolf, Ben Johnson, and Miranda Richardson.

"You didn't come here just to talk."

I came across this film while reviewing Jack Nicholson films on Netflix. This was a very well done sequel to Terms of Endearment. Shirley MacLain reprises her role perfectly and provides a solid conclusion to the Aurora Greenway character. I strongly recommend the original and this pictures.

"You're so fucking fired."

Grade: B
½ March 19, 2015
Sad, really, that the wonderful characters from Terms of Endearment were reduced to sitcom cliches. However, if you think of this movie as independent of its predecessor, it's a fairly humorous sitcom.
½ December 15, 2013
not one of the better sequels debra winger u r missed
November 24, 2013
The Evening Star is a great drama with a mix of comedy about family and friendship. It touching in all kind of ways, the cast is amazing and lead by the excellent Shirley MacLaine. I recommend.
½ November 7, 2013
Not a great follow up to Terms.
March 4, 2013
Wonderful characters in another pointless sequel.
September 2, 2012
fair sequel to Terms of Endearment
August 24, 2012
First off this movie did not need to be made and it's an unnesasery sequel but I liked it. It's a little slow at parts but I liked the story. I liked how it's about the friends and family in your life that you love and that drive you crazy. I loved Meranda Richardson in it she steals every scene she's in. Shirley MacLaine is great in the film tho Juliette Lewis was awful.
August 12, 2012
Love me some 90s movie!!!
July 9, 2011
This sequel to Terms of Endearment is almost as endearing as the original. Although it didn't need a sequel, it is realistic to see that the characters didn't live happily ever after when the movie ended. And to see what other problems they deal with. I liked this movie, it was a good drama with good actors and it's a very realistic drama.
June 16, 2011
Still soap operatic, this sequel to the lovely Terms of Endearment works mainly due to MacLaine's performance.
January 19, 2011
Good music. Strange movie.
September 27, 2010
if anyone ever finds this movie on dvd please let me know, need it for my colection.
September 23, 2010
i love this movie its a tearjerker
August 23, 2010
The Evening Star in it self is just a spoof of the original Terms of Endearment. It's like a two hour long episode of Desperate Housewives, though I would rather watch all the episodes of that series then see this movie again. It's to predictable, there are too many plots, to much overacting, and everything is happening to fast. The only thing I did like about this when they looked at the photo album, which made me remember how much I missed the original movie.
August 10, 2010
Shirley MacLaine returns to her Oscar winning character Aurora Greenway to duke it out with her three grandchildren, the woman who wanted to raise them after her daughter's death, an array of suitors, and her maid. This is Maclaine's vehicle, so I enjoyed it immensely.
April 21, 2010
(from The Watermark, 12/26/96)
An often lovely sequel to Terms of Endearment that unfortunately doesn't complete itself. MacLaine is back as the pushy, domineering Aurora Greenway, now facing her share of depression and anger over her three underachieving grandchildren. She starts seeing a cute younger therapist (Paxton) and finds the root of her unhappiness: she has never found the true love of her life, and she is unsure of what she will leave behind when her life is over. The story then meanders along with interesting episodes that aren't fully tied together by the film's end. The saddest part is that we are clearly shown the love and legacy of Aurora's life, but the film never gives her the proper revelatory scene in which she realizes this herself. Were it not for the excellent work by the well-seasoned cast, the script's shortcomings would be much more apparent. Supporting players are keenly extracted from the first film - Ross as the live-in maid, and Richardson as MacLaine's best friend and worst enemy - and are used to their fullest dramatic and comic effect. Nicholson's role is only a short appearance toward the end of the movie, but the film doesn't suffer from his absence. Robert Harling, the screenwriter who also adapted The First Wives Club and wrote Steel Magnolias, sticks to familiar turf: the relationships among the female characters. And Nicholson's presence is very much a reaffirmation that MacLaine has emotionally outgrown him. Lewis is perfectly cast as the daughter of the now-deceased Debra Winger, even in spite of the fact that she is still one of the worst actresses of all time. Queer Quotient: Scott Wolf (from Party of Five) plays Lewis' boyfriend. He's a complete schmuck (most men in Harling films are), but he's incredibly cute as he prances around in his underwear flexing his muscles.
March 4, 2010
Didn't like Terms of Endearment, either.