Ever in My Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ever in My Heart Reviews

March 30, 2017
Relatively short movie- aprox 1:15 // seen on TCM- the 1st 2/3 were good..gives an interesting perspective of how legal immigrants were perceived back in the day..Tragedies notwithstanding in this particular play...it all went well had fluid script up until the abrupt & seemingly illogical separation. Barbara Stanwyck ends up supporting troops in Europe..magically her ex shows up who is coincidentally platooned in the same camp..this is were the movie falters..Suspension of belief further questions when her ex mysteriously shows up in her camp dressed as U.S. MILITARY ( he is German with noticeable accent- no explanation as to how he made it in). Conclusion is swift & sad...best part were the German songs sung & words spoken..this could have been greater bit it seems like they lost interest in the script after 2nd half.
December 19, 2012
Some pretty heavy stuff here. Barbara loses everything here.
December 19, 2012
Better than average melodrama about the trials of a German-American couple under the anti-German sentiments of WWI. Generally well-acted, although Stanwyck had yet to find a range between weeping and hysterics, and the whole story might be a little depressing for some.
jjnxn
½ June 2, 2012
Well acted but very depressing film about the discrimination of German Americans during WWI.
February 1, 2010
I want to see it again. First saw it on TCM back in 2008. When it becomes available on DVD I'll buy a copy.
August 22, 2008
I did not see the ending coming!
Other than that it was a pretty average movie but it did make you think about how to treat the strangers among us, especially when they are from someplace that becomes an enemy. What about allegiance? What about being fair? What about fear? This movie addresses these issues, not in an impressively nuanced way or anything, but the viewer definitely can draw parallels to today.
Also I like Barbara Stanwyck.
½ August 19, 2008
Q: Why do I end up liking what other people dismiss as soap opera mush?
A: Barbara Stanwyck.