Every Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Every Day Reviews

½ October 22, 2016
It's not really interesting or have something really good here, even my dear Ezra Miller, who is always amazing at what he does, can make it worth.
August 3, 2016
A typical family drama with flat characters and an ordinary story.
½ June 6, 2015
My wife and I watched this on a Friday night after a long week at work. Great cast and perhaps it was a bit predictable but it was a fine movie and a bit touching at the end. I read some negative reviews before watching it, so I was not expecting to like it, but we both did.
½ February 8, 2014
Like watching a soapie or sitcom.
SC007
November 24, 2013
This film took me by surprise. From the trailer, I wasn't expecting much. However, I was very delighted from beginning to end with this film. Everyone is well cast and they all shine. It reminded me a little bit of the movie, City Island. On a negative it is a little predictable, but that didn't bother me here. I definitely recommend this film.
November 1, 2013
Every Day is a disappointing film. It is about a family's struggle to survive life's curve-balls that ultimately bring out the best and worst in us and make us closer. Liev Schreiber and Helen Hunt give awful performances. The script is badly written. Richard Levine did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ October 17, 2013
The plot is predictable, with very few surprises, but the interesting characters and solid performances from the entire cast make this one worth watching.
August 12, 2013
Caught the last 30-40 mintues, it was super sad & made me cry. This is a must see movie!
July 6, 2013
Really good movie, quite authentic really.
SarahTheMovieLover
July 2, 2013
Full review to come later (maybe)...

What did this movie teach me? Apparently "professionals" still do cocaine.
½ May 5, 2013
Every Day is every family's scenario. An ordinary midlife crisis, a slightly rebellious child, a difficult parent... it could be anyone, and it serves as a mirror telling people who look upon it: "Yes, it happens to others too. It's not easy, but you can make it."

The good. The acting is well dosed, just right to make us feel at home. The script keeps event popping in, but does not become overly complex. The story is dynamic, yet quiet. The dialogs, characters, and background are realistic, without dragging us into the mundane or the boring.

The actors. Liev Schreiber is the steadfast husband and father who's running into a wall. Good performance. Helen Hunt is the daughter, wife, and mother who is lost. For once, I did not find her annoying, and I must give her credit for keeping her performance on par with the flick. Carla Gugino as the sexy fun seeking coworker, Eddie Izzard as the flamboyant boss, and Brian Dennehy as crotchety old father are what gives the film its piquant. Well done.

The bad. I think all this production needs to really have more punch is a bit more polish in almost all departments while avoiding becoming slick which would loose the "anyone" feel.

The ugly. Nothing.

The result. A bit of entertainment for everyone, but don't expect any action or big gestures. This is about "every day".
March 2, 2013
I liked this movie, it started out really good but as the movie progrssed I felt that they were trying to shove the most importent parts into 30min and it just wasn't worker. This makes me think much more of a TV show drama not a movie that left off with more qustions then answears.
February 20, 2013
I like that it faces some of todays realities.
LWOODS04
December 15, 2012
"I really liked this movie. It deals with some hard issues with difficulties of marriage, a sons sexuality, and a harsh father whose deteriorating. I really like Ezra Miller. I think he's a great young actor. Brian Dennehy was great in this. Oh how I have missed Helen Hunt. I think she's fantastic. She's really good in this. Liev Schreiber was really good here too. Ok, obviously what I'm getting to is that the performances were great. The story is really good. I, like others, have a hard time understanding why this film got such low ratings. I thought it was a great indie flick. Has it been done before? Yes. But the difference between this flick and ones before it, is the actors. They make the movie. They make the story relatable and realistic. This is someones life in one way or another. We all struggle with one or more of these issues. See it if you get a chance."
November 11, 2012
I'm not sure why this movie has such a low rating. This movie had a really good cast, was really well done, and I found the storyline interesting. This movie is, in a word, real. Real life issues. Real life dialog. I was never once bored, and I found myself enthralled in their lives. Good movie...
½ August 20, 2012
Every Day is mistitled -- it should be A Lifetime of Stress in Two Weeks. The film's intentions are good: showing how life -- spouse, children, work, parents -- is hard and requires work and will include missteps from which you learn. But in Every Day, there are enough travails for four movies and the audience would like some more in depth exploration of each.

First Ned, the central character, is starting a new job writing for a "five shocks in every show" television series. That portion of Every Day is a heightened satire of television, the problems with dealing with a psycho boss (played by a delightfully over-the-top Eddie Izzard); it has a subplot of dealing with an attractive co-worker.

Second, Ned's father-in-law, Ernie, is failing and Ned's wife who "doesn't even like" her father is moving him into their small house. How the family relates to dying Ernie, and the stresses this move puts on the family could be a whole movie. Another movie could be made (and has been) about the relationship between Jeannie and her father with a subplot about the idiocies of our health care system.

A third (or fourth or fifth) movie could be made about the elder son who has come out in the last six months and is dipping his toe into the gay scene. Perhaps the way the film deals with this, portraying Ezra's journey as similar to any kid's blossoming sexuality and breaking away from the nest is the best part of the film. Jonah is dealing pretty well, but its a scary journey.

The most mature character is the youngest sone Ethan, who observes all these changes and deals with them in a forthright manner. Perhaps unrealistic, but cool.

Performances are generally superb. Only Helen Hunt seems somewhat forced -- playing Helen Hunt in "As Good as It Gets. Schreiber, Dennehy and Miller are particularly wonderful.

Settings and music unobstrusively support the stories well.

Director Levine is able. Writer Levine is the weak point in that he crams so much into the film that the audience keeps wanting more deveopment of everything. Despite these many crises, the movie pretends they can all be resolved positively -- the situations are interesting and real, the pat resolutions don't ring true. Nobody is that lucky.
August 9, 2012
I think the title aptly describes the story-line of this family drama. It is not nearly as bad as the reviews on Flixster, more in line with the Netflix reviews. A solid performance by a good cast that with just a little more editing and tautness to the story-line could have been great.
June 24, 2012
I am going to have to pass on this one.
½ June 10, 2012
I might have liked this movie more than the average viewer because I'm a huge Helen Hunt fan, she makes everything worth watching. And it was a good story I think.
½ June 10, 2012
Whilst this was not a bad movie I failed to see the point of it. I think to much got jammed into the movie and it made it seem hurried.