Every Time We Say Goodbye - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Every Time We Say Goodbye Reviews

October 5, 2016
I enjoyed this early Tom Hanks movie set in Jerusalem
½ September 12, 2016
I thought it was excellent and particularly enjoyed the under-stated performance of Cristina Marsillach who played so well with Tom I'm surprised they were never matched again.
½ July 14, 2014
A thoroughly irritating, circular drudge of a romance flick. Tom Hanks leads as an injured soldier in the heat of WWII, recuperating in a cushy Jerusalem apartment, who finds/forces love in a barely-legal, deeply religious young woman. The two don't seem to have much in common apart from being particularly good-looking, and though we aren't shown any compelling reason for their love to blossom (there's very little chemistry on-screen), such flowering proceeds regardless. It doesn't take long for the plot to settle into an easy cycle of "our love is great" > "my family will keep us apart" > "I push you away" > "our love is great," which then spins out, sans-flavor, for the duration. At this point in his career, Hanks still had a ways to go as a serious actor, and his co-star most definitely wasn't recruited for her theatrical chops. At least it's nice to look at, with gorgeous locations and a beautiful young lady sharing a majority of the screen time.
July 11, 2013
The film was very well acted and there was alot of heart between Hanks and the female lead. The score of the film however felt wrong and oddly out of place in the Jerusalem setting. The ending also felt off. Especially after the serious discussion the girl had with her father. It was a bit too light hearted for the seriousness of the decision.
June 2, 2012
Very interesting film about inter-faith relationships during a time were faith was under attack (WW2). The director also uses great shots of Israel as well.
September 6, 2010
love story in the pace and film-style of the era in which it is set (1940s). A bit slow, but pleasant enough. A very young Hanks is convincing in it.