Everybody Sing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Everybody Sing Reviews

½ November 22, 2015
This film is so odd that I'm not quite sure what to say about it. It was made in the brief era of MGM history where they had no clue how to use Garland's talents, and the result is a clunky, unimpressive and often bizarre flick that leaves a lot to be desired from its talented cast (including Fanny Brice, Billie Burke and, of course, Judy Garland). I did love the bit at the beginning where Judy starts singing a swing song at that uptight girls' school, which made me wish the entire film was about a rebellious girl trying to be an individual in a snooty and repressive environment. That would have been a much better film than this! Admitedly, some of the songs are fun, like when Judy sings "Down on Melody Farm." Of course, there is that regrettable bit involving blackface, which leaves me highly disappointed as a Garland fan and serves as further proof why this film should be avoided. The Baby Snooks bit was very disappointing, too, seeing as how I am a fan of the original radio broadcast (and if you're familiar with it, you know just how funny and witty it is) and this was a pale, watered down rendition that did not resemble the show in the slightest. Overall, this film has been largely forgotten by the populous and deservedly so, as it wastes its talented stars with a shoddy script and forgettable (and sometimes offensive) musical numbers. Skip it.
February 6, 2015
1938 was the height of the screwball comedy, and MGM attempted to cash in on the craze by meshing it with a musical; although the results were less than stellar, the film does offer a chance to see a pre-OZ Judy Garland, and the great Fanny Brice.
½ August 22, 2013
A zany musical showbiz comedy
½ June 11, 2012
Music not a problem; it was just the story that was a little off.
April 6, 2012
Despite being overly cheesy and a little slow at times, the story is very nice and has some great songs. Even though Judy Garland shines on camera, Fanny Brice steals the show with her wit and charm as Olga Chekaloff.
½ July 9, 2011
A great musical comedy for the entire family! Allan Jone's character and songs are a bit of a bore, but when Judy starts to sing it will make you totally forget the boring parts! Billie Burke and Fanny Brice add to the enjoyment with their comical characters! This is just an overall fabulous movie!
½ July 8, 2011
Judy Garland takes star billing in this fairly flimsy musical when MGM was still experimenting with her talents! It's pretty routine stuff except for one little comedic gem -a song called "Why, Because" which Garland performs with Fanny Brice who re-creates her 'Baby Snooks' character.
January 27, 2011
Such a cute movie with great music and Judy Garland singing her heart out with only 15 years of age.
½ September 19, 2010
Sometimes funny, but this has a lot of singing, as the title says. If you want to see a lot of singing, this is the movie.
July 2, 2010
funny early judy musical
½ January 1, 2009
Nothing special in the plot, just the typical old-Hollywood film with over-exaggerated acting typical of the 1930's theater. There are moments of humor in the midst of the chaos the family and hired help create but utimately the star of the film is the young Judy Garland. Her voice is stupendous.
June 13, 2008
[font=Arial Black][color=black]I watched this movie a couple of nights ago and it made me laugh so much. It was a very funny movie but I also loved the singing. Judy garland is a wonderful actress.[/color][/font]