Everynight... Everynight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Everynight... Everynight Reviews

April 27, 2012
I have been obsessed with movies since kindergarten. Sesame Street's Follow That Bird and Mary Poppins were the two movies that opened my eyes to the wonder and escape of fantasy. This film, 'Everynight Everynight' was one of the first I recall that forged a deep appreciation for drama and realism in cinema. I was 15 when I first saw it and it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. Soon after seeing it I desperately tried to cram in as many serious films as possible and spent a month watching as many as I could... Swoon, Henry Portrait Of A Serial Killer, The Honeymoon Killers etc. Everynight Everynight was the seed of it all.... I watched it again tonight and its brilliance is staggering. Set in Pentridge Prison's notorious H-Division it tells the true story of Christopher Dale Fannery (infamous contract killer involved with Roger Rogerson) and the brutality and depravity inflicted by sadistic prison guards. It's a harsh film and it's shot entirely in black & white which is really effective. David Field and Bill Hunter are both amazing and the soundtrack by Paul Kelly adds a cold and grim aesthetic. One of the best prison films ever made imo.