Everyone Says I Love You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Everyone Says I Love You Reviews

August 10, 2016
"-In a relationship, it is better to be the leaver than the leavee"
½ January 27, 2016
"Everyone Says I Love You" differs from most modern musicals in that it doesn't aim to be grand in scope. It aims to be a throwback to the Technicolored, frenetic days of Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse, albeit with dialogue and characters that directly reflect the modern attitudes of its writer, director, and star, Woody Allen. There is no thunderous imagery a la "Moulin Rouge!" (2001), and there are no Broadway sized numbers akin to "Chicago" (2002). It is small and intimate, its song and dance numbers giggling in the way they depict the average Joe belting as best they can, boogying with sweet conviction. Certainly, it is among Allen's best, most universal films - but few are able to recall it, as it came at the end of an era that didn't rake in as much critical and commercial acclaim as the decades preceding it.
It makes use of a superb ensemble cast, putting most of its attention onto the fictional Dandridge family, a wealthy New York based bunch liberal and free-wheeling in their beliefs. The unit is headed by Bob (Alan Alda) and Steffi (Goldie Hawn), parents in the prime of middle-age that have retained an admirable zest for life. Together, they have four kids, the angsty Scott (Lukas Haas), who has decided to become a conservative Republican, the flaky Skylar (Drew Barrymore), and a pair of preteen girls, Lane (Gaby Hoffman) and Laura (Natalie Portman). Steffi's daughter DJ (Natasha Lyonne), the result of her previous marriage to writer Joe Berlin (Allen), narrates and co-stars.
As the film opens, the family is facing rambunctious family drama better described as whimsical than serious. Skylar is getting married to the earnest Holden Spence (Edward Norton), but it so easily romantically persuaded that a lasting relationship may not be a very realistic place to go. Steffi, a lifelong rich girl who has devoted her entire adult life to social work, is in the process of attempting to get convict Charles Ferry (Tim Roth) released from prison, whom she believes is serving a sentence far from the result of fairness. Wanting to find love again, Joe hooks up with the much younger Von (Julia Roberts), a woman in the grips of an unhappy marriage; Laura and Lane are interested in the same boy; and DJ won't stop falling in love with different young men. A tidy conclusion we don't get. But like life, "Everyone Says I Love You" is messy yet breathtaking.
Without the musical angle, the film would still be among Allen's most agreeable works. It is a romantic comedy that sings, inhabiting every scene with characters we come to revere and with conversational interludes that rank as some of Allen's most sagacious. The film is screwball, but not chintzily so - it carries an energy reminiscent of times during which we might have been an observer to a different family's dynamic, totally in awe of their intricate relationships, the way in which they spoke to each other. The Dandridge clan isn't unlike most American families (maybe a little richer), and the sunny ideology that life can be a humorous thing is very much intact here.
So the added touch of music and dance that "Everyone Says I Love You" provides is more than welcome, as the old cliché of characters breaking out into song actually seems fitting. Allen gets the tone we'd expect in the best of material like this: not too campy and not too self-serious, instead drifting along with arbitrary, feel-good shades and textures. We want to give it a bear hug, being so velvety, charming, and endearing in the ways a couple hours of reminiscing with family can be. With a soundtrack that includes "Making Whoopee" and "My Baby Just Cares For Me," the delivery by the actors, who normally aren't associated with the musical genre, steals our hearts. We can't get enough, as it should be with the Hollywood musical.
"Everyone Says I Love You" climaxes in a beautifully rendered scene in which Goldie Hawn and Woody Allen slow dance like Astaire and Rogers by the Seine, Hawn flying in the air as if she were a trapeze artist, singing as wonderfully as an average person can, Allen turning into a dance partner of surprising merit. It is an unforgettable way to conclude an unforgettable film, perhaps one of the most daring of Allen's career but, all great works aside, among his finest. An underrated, humble masterpiece.
½ January 26, 2016
Such a wonderful movie, one of Woody's best.
½ January 14, 2016
meni ekstremno dosadan!!!
½ August 26, 2015
The Woody Allen musical movie follow the traditional musical movie composition but it was rare at the time that actors sing and dance without stand-ins. Woody Allen wanted amateurish songs and dances and did not tell the actors that it was a musical until after they signed their contracts. Woody Allen had to tell Goldie Hawn and Edward Norton to try to sing worse because they sang too well to be believable as a normal person just breaking into song. The actors sing their own songs except for Drew Barrymore, who convinced Woody Allen that her singing was too awful even for the realistic singing voices he was after. She said she doesn't even sing in the shower.
Goldie Hawn dancing at the river side of the Seine is the scenes to see. Her expression is beautiful from hands to toes and her movement is smooth though she is suspended in the air. She learned ballet from age of three, taught dancing and attended musicals as a professional dance after she dropped out the college. I believe Woody Allen didn't tell Goldie Hawn to dance worse for this scene.
½ June 20, 2015
A fun, witty, and toe tapping Woody Allen ensemble piece that ranks in his more enjoyable works. Strong performances from Alan Alda, Goldie Hawn, Edward Norton, Drew Barrymore, Natasha Lyonne, Julia Roberts, and the man himself Woody Allen. Allen directs wonderful musical numbers and I would love to see him adapt this for the stage
June 15, 2015
Woody Allen makes a stellar musical comedy reminiscent of 1950s classics.
½ May 23, 2015
Woody Allen's first musical comedy, like good piece of cake with icing. Delightful.
½ May 10, 2015
I guess I'm very much in the minority but I dislike everything about this movie other than the central concept of it. Which in my view fails.
March 14, 2015
When I wasn't smiling, I was laughing. A delightful movie paying joyful tribute to the great musicals of the past.
March 6, 2015
Bit of a letdown. Was expecting more of a musical Midnight in Paris, but was presented with a poor Mamma Mia.
January 5, 2015
Cheesy but it works, pretty funny and an easy watch. Some good songs and brilliant cast.
December 30, 2014
I love the Grucho Marx sketch but the whole thing is just too self indulgent Bourgeois for my liking
November 23, 2014
Combining classic Woody comedy and a handful of really good musical numbers I would recommend this highly.
½ July 19, 2014
Man, this movie was painful to watch. Watching Edward Norton, who played the Hulk, singing and dancing wasn't good and the rest of the A-list cast didn't that much better. I have never seen what the big deal is about Woody Allen movies because they just seem to have way too much dialogue and not enough action. This movie wasn't that much better and to top it off, he added some annoying singing which just got on my nerves. Originally, I thought that I would give this movie a go because of the amazing cast, but watching them singing through the movie just didn't help. Along with the usual Woody Allen type storyline, I just didn't enjoy this movie at all but it was good to see some big named actors like Natalie Portman and Edward Norton, before they became household names. Annoying!

I can definitely see why most of the cast haven't pursued there singing careers because some of the singing was awful. I was hoping that the storyline was going to save the day, but that wasn't that good either. As this was Edward Nortons second movie in his career, after Primal Fear which was a much better movie, I'm sure that he was just happy to be in a movie, even though he made a complete fool out of himself. Other young actors like Natalie Portman, who came fresh from Leon and Heat, also must have been glad to get the work so I can't really blame them for there performances. At the end of the day, you really have to be a fan of Woody Allens work to enjoy this movie but I'm just not into his comedy or his sense of direction.

Budget: $20million
Worldwide Gross: $34million

I recommend this movie to people who are into Woody Allen movies about family life and love. 3/10
June 13, 2014
A minor Allen vehicle, that is mostly hit and miss, but has enough charm to be worth a visit.
May 23, 2014
One star for Drew Barrymore. Movie is super silly and not funny.
½ May 19, 2014
Everyone Says I Love You is another example of a Woody Allen film I knew nothing about before watching it, but as I had been recently disappointed by a streak of generic Woody Allen films I didn't have such high expectations.

But I found myself rather pleased with the film due to its lighthearted nature and simple sense of glee. I mean, it isn't a perfect film because it has many of the elements found in every Woody Allen film, both positive and negative, but still it proved to be an entertaining film.
The central problem in Everyone Says I Love You is that despite it being a Woody Allen film which usually keeps its central focus on one character while touching upon the surrounding people a little bit, Everyone Says I Love You has a lot of characters. Due to its ensemble cast, there are a lot of actors found in Everyone Says I Love You and Woody Allen tries to balance focus on all of them equally. It's an ambitious effort, but it is done to a fault because I was completely unable to tell who the main character in the movie was. Natasha Lyonne narrated the film so it is believable to say that she is the main figure, but considering the small amount of screen time she actually receives, it is difficult to support this. As the title suggests, perhaps there is no main character in Everyone Says I Love You as it is a story about everyone, but the story is constantly jumping between the focus of all the characters while trying to explain why they are important or what relevance they have to each other and it simply ends up rather scattered. Everyone Says I Love You is all over the place and is one of the more high profile Woody Allen films even though its still feels like a really small scale picture due to it being a Woody Allen film. And although it is a good film, the entertainment value is somewhat inconsistent due to it being all over the place.
The story in Everyone Says I Love You is a little bit all over the place due to so many characters and the complicated relationships that they share which aren't precisely covered by the end of the film, but it is still an enjoyable film. Everyone Says I Love You feels like a cartoonish ode to both love and glamourous Hollywood musicals. And although romantic films and musical films aren't either of my favoured genres, I found that I really enjoyed Everyone Says I Love You. Although the actual development of its story isn't perfect, the way that it touches upon many characters and their approaches to love and romance is interesting precisely because they are a colourful bunch, and the romance in the film isn't melodramatic or unrealistically optimistic. Everyone Says I Love You is simply an easy film to watch and is an ambitious new step for Woody Allen, and thanks to his cleverly written script and firm direction he gives to the cast, it comes out shining as one of his much more entertaining films.
Woody Allen isn't the lead role for once in Everyone Says I Love You. He has a small but pivotal role where he portrays his stereotypical nebbish character dealing with the formulaic romantic comedy story that he faces in most of his movies. But he knows what he's doing and performs in the role easily. He creates some humourous situations for himself which he acts out easily and convincingly and shares a fine chemistry with the other actors, in particular Julia Roberts. So his performance is terrific in Everyone Says I Love You.
Julia Roberts is great to see in a Woody Allen film, particularly in her pre-Academy Award winning days when she had just become an international star. Seeing her in a low profile comedic role playing Woody Allen's love interest is interesting as it is both comic and dramatic at the right times, and Julia Roberts Captures the essence of the character easily and entertainingly. Julia Roberts' small supporting performance makes her a great addition to the cast in Everybody Says I Love You.
Edward Norton is just terrific. His character is an awkward one, almost like a subtle nebbish, and his complicated relationship with Drew Barrymore's character as well as his youthful ignorance which he plays out to comic effect. I'm not too familiar with Edward Norton as a comedic actor, but his performance in Everybody Says I Love You is lighthearted and charming and just very admirable. It is great to see his charming versatility taking effect.
And Drew Barrymore is an actress I have loved since childhood simply because of how naturally sweet she is. Any romantic comedy with her is one I am happy to see, and in Everybody Says I Love You she works Woody Allen's material into her natural demeanour very well. And her beautiful smile and natural sweet charm makes her a great counterpart to Edward Norton in Everybody Says I Love You, as well as a terrific addition to the cast.
Natasha Lyonne's small supporting performance is a good one as well, and her narration of the film is a good element.
Tim Roth's singing voice is one of the more surprising aspects of his performance in Everyone Says I Love You. It was odd for me to realise that it was actually him in the role because I'm so used to seeing him in hard hitting and rough edged material. So witnessing him in a lighthearted film like Everyone Says I Love You was good because it revealed his kind
Alan Alda is a nice actor to have on board as well, and it is good to see a supporting effort from a young Natalie Portman as well.
Lastly, Goldie Hawn is a nice touch in Everyone Says I Love You simply because of her infectious energy and the natural charm that comes with her beautiful smile and her way of interacting with other actors with wonderful ease. Goldie Hawn is a perfect asset to the lighthearted nature of Everyone Says I Love You.

So although Everybody Says I Love You is a scattered film and is inconsistent in entertainment value, but the charms of its ensemble cast are undeniable and its lighthearted energy is simply infectious.
½ March 18, 2014
Woody Allen makes a musical! And it is a standard effort with songs. The plot is pretty much like most Allen films, and the songs are sung in the actor's real voices to make it sound less glossy and more real...which would seem neat and original had "Popeye" not already done it. Only Barrymore was so bad she had to be dubbed...and that is with Goldie Hawn being told to sing worse because she sounded to good. It is decent, I enjoyed this enough, it at least had the musical aspect to set it apart from other Allen films, but it's plot is well-worn territory for the Writer-Director.
December 13, 2013