Everyone Says I Love You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Everyone Says I Love You Reviews

½ August 22, 2017
#WoodyAllenRetro Podcast Project

Given Woody did this musical within his year timeframe - it's still impressive, a simple lighthearted romance with little depth, actors of note from past and even present are here to again shine, musical set pieces range from decent to medicore with a STUNNING final but short riverside waltz with goldie hawn - a clear masterpiece on its own - overall its good but can't help but wishing woody had 2 or 3 years to prepare this properly as it has the potential of a timeless classic but as it is now, we can see Woody just dabbling in the idea and coming up with something fun and fancy free... people love it more but it also hasn't aged as well as other alike musicals - and usually a musical has a timeless quality to it - good for what it is without a doubt
March 28, 2017
Did not care for Woody nor anyone else singing mostly unknown (to me) songs which get sung all too often in this many subplot musical. I had to stop watching this though I am a big fan of most Allen films. I also got tired of the male actors seemingly imitating all of Woody's mannerisms. Not very funny at all it was a disappointment and could not watch all the way through. Goldie Hawn hasn't aged one bit miraculously and though not out of her usual character was refreshing compared to all the others. I do not crave finishing this film sadly. ---

--- M. rick has spoken.
November 24, 2016
How many musicals are done by Woody Allen? Not many but this one is a gem. What a cast! Should be on Blu-ray but is only on DVD.
August 10, 2016
"-In a relationship, it is better to be the leaver than the leavee"
½ January 27, 2016
"Everyone Says I Love You" differs from most modern musicals in that it doesn't aim to be grand in scope. It aims to be a throwback to the Technicolored, frenetic days of Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse, albeit with dialogue and characters that directly reflect the modern attitudes of its writer, director, and star, Woody Allen. There is no thunderous imagery a la "Moulin Rouge!" (2001), and there are no Broadway sized numbers akin to "Chicago" (2002). It is small and intimate, its song and dance numbers giggling in the way they depict the average Joe belting as best they can, boogying with sweet conviction. Certainly, it is among Allen's best, most universal films - but few are able to recall it, as it came at the end of an era that didn't rake in as much critical and commercial acclaim as the decades preceding it.
It makes use of a superb ensemble cast, putting most of its attention onto the fictional Dandridge family, a wealthy New York based bunch liberal and free-wheeling in their beliefs. The unit is headed by Bob (Alan Alda) and Steffi (Goldie Hawn), parents in the prime of middle-age that have retained an admirable zest for life. Together, they have four kids, the angsty Scott (Lukas Haas), who has decided to become a conservative Republican, the flaky Skylar (Drew Barrymore), and a pair of preteen girls, Lane (Gaby Hoffman) and Laura (Natalie Portman). Steffi's daughter DJ (Natasha Lyonne), the result of her previous marriage to writer Joe Berlin (Allen), narrates and co-stars.
As the film opens, the family is facing rambunctious family drama better described as whimsical than serious. Skylar is getting married to the earnest Holden Spence (Edward Norton), but it so easily romantically persuaded that a lasting relationship may not be a very realistic place to go. Steffi, a lifelong rich girl who has devoted her entire adult life to social work, is in the process of attempting to get convict Charles Ferry (Tim Roth) released from prison, whom she believes is serving a sentence far from the result of fairness. Wanting to find love again, Joe hooks up with the much younger Von (Julia Roberts), a woman in the grips of an unhappy marriage; Laura and Lane are interested in the same boy; and DJ won't stop falling in love with different young men. A tidy conclusion we don't get. But like life, "Everyone Says I Love You" is messy yet breathtaking.
Without the musical angle, the film would still be among Allen's most agreeable works. It is a romantic comedy that sings, inhabiting every scene with characters we come to revere and with conversational interludes that rank as some of Allen's most sagacious. The film is screwball, but not chintzily so - it carries an energy reminiscent of times during which we might have been an observer to a different family's dynamic, totally in awe of their intricate relationships, the way in which they spoke to each other. The Dandridge clan isn't unlike most American families (maybe a little richer), and the sunny ideology that life can be a humorous thing is very much intact here.
So the added touch of music and dance that "Everyone Says I Love You" provides is more than welcome, as the old cliché of characters breaking out into song actually seems fitting. Allen gets the tone we'd expect in the best of material like this: not too campy and not too self-serious, instead drifting along with arbitrary, feel-good shades and textures. We want to give it a bear hug, being so velvety, charming, and endearing in the ways a couple hours of reminiscing with family can be. With a soundtrack that includes "Making Whoopee" and "My Baby Just Cares For Me," the delivery by the actors, who normally aren't associated with the musical genre, steals our hearts. We can't get enough, as it should be with the Hollywood musical.
"Everyone Says I Love You" climaxes in a beautifully rendered scene in which Goldie Hawn and Woody Allen slow dance like Astaire and Rogers by the Seine, Hawn flying in the air as if she were a trapeze artist, singing as wonderfully as an average person can, Allen turning into a dance partner of surprising merit. It is an unforgettable way to conclude an unforgettable film, perhaps one of the most daring of Allen's career but, all great works aside, among his finest. An underrated, humble masterpiece.
½ January 26, 2016
Such a wonderful movie, one of Woody's best.
½ January 14, 2016
meni ekstremno dosadan!!!
½ August 26, 2015
The Woody Allen musical movie follow the traditional musical movie composition but it was rare at the time that actors sing and dance without stand-ins. Woody Allen wanted amateurish songs and dances and did not tell the actors that it was a musical until after they signed their contracts. Woody Allen had to tell Goldie Hawn and Edward Norton to try to sing worse because they sang too well to be believable as a normal person just breaking into song. The actors sing their own songs except for Drew Barrymore, who convinced Woody Allen that her singing was too awful even for the realistic singing voices he was after. She said she doesn't even sing in the shower.
Goldie Hawn dancing at the river side of the Seine is the scenes to see. Her expression is beautiful from hands to toes and her movement is smooth though she is suspended in the air. She learned ballet from age of three, taught dancing and attended musicals as a professional dance after she dropped out the college. I believe Woody Allen didn't tell Goldie Hawn to dance worse for this scene.
½ June 20, 2015
A fun, witty, and toe tapping Woody Allen ensemble piece that ranks in his more enjoyable works. Strong performances from Alan Alda, Goldie Hawn, Edward Norton, Drew Barrymore, Natasha Lyonne, Julia Roberts, and the man himself Woody Allen. Allen directs wonderful musical numbers and I would love to see him adapt this for the stage
June 15, 2015
Woody Allen makes a stellar musical comedy reminiscent of 1950s classics.
½ May 23, 2015
Woody Allen's first musical comedy, like good piece of cake with icing. Delightful.
½ May 10, 2015
I guess I'm very much in the minority but I dislike everything about this movie other than the central concept of it. Which in my view fails.
March 14, 2015
When I wasn't smiling, I was laughing. A delightful movie paying joyful tribute to the great musicals of the past.
March 6, 2015
Bit of a letdown. Was expecting more of a musical Midnight in Paris, but was presented with a poor Mamma Mia.
January 5, 2015
Cheesy but it works, pretty funny and an easy watch. Some good songs and brilliant cast.
December 30, 2014
I love the Grucho Marx sketch but the whole thing is just too self indulgent Bourgeois for my liking
November 23, 2014
Combining classic Woody comedy and a handful of really good musical numbers I would recommend this highly.
½ July 19, 2014
Review:
Man, this movie was painful to watch. Watching Edward Norton, who played the Hulk, singing and dancing wasn't good and the rest of the A-list cast didn't that much better. I have never seen what the big deal is about Woody Allen movies because they just seem to have way too much dialogue and not enough action. This movie wasn't that much better and to top it off, he added some annoying singing which just got on my nerves. Originally, I thought that I would give this movie a go because of the amazing cast, but watching them singing through the movie just didn't help. Along with the usual Woody Allen type storyline, I just didn't enjoy this movie at all but it was good to see some big named actors like Natalie Portman and Edward Norton, before they became household names. Annoying!

Round-Up:
I can definitely see why most of the cast haven't pursued there singing careers because some of the singing was awful. I was hoping that the storyline was going to save the day, but that wasn't that good either. As this was Edward Nortons second movie in his career, after Primal Fear which was a much better movie, I'm sure that he was just happy to be in a movie, even though he made a complete fool out of himself. Other young actors like Natalie Portman, who came fresh from Leon and Heat, also must have been glad to get the work so I can't really blame them for there performances. At the end of the day, you really have to be a fan of Woody Allens work to enjoy this movie but I'm just not into his comedy or his sense of direction.

Budget: $20million
Worldwide Gross: $34million

I recommend this movie to people who are into Woody Allen movies about family life and love. 3/10
June 13, 2014
A minor Allen vehicle, that is mostly hit and miss, but has enough charm to be worth a visit.
May 23, 2014
One star for Drew Barrymore. Movie is super silly and not funny.