Evidence of Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evidence of Blood Reviews

½ August 22, 2015
I love David Strathairn & Mary McDonnell- but this movie was terrible. So disappointed!
May 1, 2015
Nothing is more fun to watch than a really good mystery, and for nearly an hour, I thought I'd found one in Evidence of Blood. Films like this one really irritate me, because they are so good, well-written, and thoughtful, until the end. In the end, so many weird things happen, and the film twists in so many different directions, that when it's all said and done, the audience is left scratching it's head. Jackson Kinley (David Stathairn) is a Pulitzer Prize winning author, who returns home to the small town he was raised in. He's come back home, because his best friend, the town sheriff, has been found dead. It's no mystery how he died, it was a heart attack, but the mystery lies in where he was found and what he was doing there. Kinley follows the clues and figures out that the sheriff was close to solving the only murder in the towns history, one that took place nearly 30 years earlier. The story here is textbook, as Kinley finds what his buddy was working on and follows the evidence. The viewers learn what he learns as Kinley discovers it. Nothing is held back, leaving us to think for ourselves and letting us trying to figure out who did what and why. To me, these are the best types of mysteries, because they don't assume the audience is brain dead, and it feels like you're actually out there with Kinley, trying to solve the crime. David Stathairn stars, and has been, and will continue to be one of the most underrated actors in all of modern cinema. When you look at his IMDB page, this guy has been in everything and played some huge roles, but for some reason is always overlooked. Rarely is his name at the top of the marquee, but roles like this prove that it should be. For the first hour of Evidence of Blood, I was in love with this film, but then it got to the end, and everything fell apart. The pace of the movie seemingly triples and a million things are thrown at us at once, making for a very confusing and unsatisfying end to an otherwise great story.
February 18, 2014
a wonderful who done it.great cast and over all just a great movie
½ December 21, 2013
A slow burn of a mystery that does'nt have the payoff to warrant the wait.
March 31, 2013
I thought it very interesting with in depth character studies
July 20, 2012
So many unanswered questions: what really happened to the dead sheriff? why does David Strathairn's character--who is SO dim--have a Pulitzer prize? why couldn't and didn't anyone else in the universe solve this SO easy case already? why did the makeup artist decide to do such unflattering things to Mary McDonnell?
To add insult to injury, the plot of this movie unfolds so slowly and nonsensically as to be offensive. The acting fares slightly better, but I still would've rather watched another two hours of Passion Fish (also starring Mary McDonnell and David Strathairn) than this monstrosity.
½ November 13, 2011
When I see a movie classified as "Thriller," I expect there to be some sort of momentum or excitement involved. "Evidence of Blood" moves so slowly that I may have seen the counter on my dvd player moving backwards. While the film sports an interesting story, it seems like half of the movie is David Strathairn sitting in a chair and speaking his thoughts out loud. Outside of the mediocre acting (and laughable interpretation of an asthma attack), it simply takes too long for the pieces of the puzzle to begin falling into place (a.k.a. 90 minutes of random searching and 18 minutes of a sudden revelation and instantaneous conclusion). This movie is not bad in a "fun" way. It is bad in a "this movie is so boring that re-enacting 127 Hours would be more entertaining" way.
½ July 2, 2011
An interesting movie with a good story and good performances.
March 12, 2011
Very good movie....keeps you thinking!
February 12, 2011
I tried to like this, because I like Strathairn, but it's just not very good. It's about the same caliber as a Hallmark Channel mystery.