Evil Brain from Outer Space - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evil Brain from Outer Space Reviews

½ April 17, 2016
I readily admit that Ken Utsui's films as Starman from the mid-60's are a guilty pleasure. You get the strangest possible scenarios, and from the Cold War-era time of countries jockeying to be the first into manned space travel, when movies of this ilk were both a commercial gold-mine and slowly but surely getting a higher degree of intellectual and artistic sophistication (three years before its pinnacle, '2001: A Space Odyssey'). This is my second of his (to my knowledge) four times as the caped benevolent Starman, always sent from the Emerald Planet when Earth is threatened (not sure why, they must be extremely nice people).

Here, the brain of a demented dictator survived and escaped to Earth, where he is able to gather forces and threaten the world with global domination. It's pointless to explain, but the fight scenes (which play out more like carefully choreographed dances) are worth watching the film simply in themselves, and it's good-naturedness, charm and Utsui's likability shine through, and make this endeavor well-worth checking out and discovering for yourself. I found mine in my Mill Creek 50-film pack, 'Nightmare Worlds' for a very low price, and it can be seen for free online.
½ April 17, 2016

½ June 20, 2015
another campy 'starman' adventure
366weirdmovies
June 18, 2014
Three episodes of the Japanese "Starman" series edited into one incoherent story about an evil brain and his mutant army. Nonsensical but exciting; it's constant monsters and karate battles inside a plot that's impossible to follow (the supporting characters keep changing, and a narrator has to break in every now and then to explain who's who). Objectively, it's a terrible movie, but if you like this kind of camp it's a small treasure.
½ April 11, 2013
Evil Brain From Outer Space (AKA Starman) is another in a long line of Japanese B movies that spends most of its time being appalling and unwatchable. With a title like that, I was expecting a schlocky B movie about a talking evil brain with eyes on strings, attacking helpless people, but alas, the brain is more or less incapacitated and has almost no effect on the plot. Sure it summons monsters for Starman to fight, but the brain itself is pretty moot. I'm actually shocked that Mystery Science Theater 3000 didn't riff this during their original run, especially Joel, who riffed these kinds of movies all the time. Oh well, there's always Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic to look forward to. Otherwise, you'll probably sleep through this boring mess of a movie.
March 6, 2013
Weird but dull. The plot isn't very interesting and the characters are just too goofy. It was a bit hard to pay attention to. Overall, it's the usual Starman silliness.
October 1, 2011
No way 1964, more like 1954.
½ April 18, 2011
This is an old Japanese movie about the brain of an alien scientist trying to take over planet Earth with his men (through some kind of telepathic influence, I guess), mutants (created on purpose) and nuclear weapons (typical of the 50's-60's sci-fi movies) while Starman, some alien superhero, tries to prevent this. It is, in many aspects, Edwood-like : stock footage, erratic voiceovers usually found in documentaries, unsteady storyline with characters being introduced for no clear reason, overacting, coarse editing that makes parts of the movie confusing (e. g. abrupt scene switching, video/audio mismatch), and the whole thing is of course unintentionally funny (especially the fight choreographies).
½ September 4, 2009
What compelled me to rent this, I do not know. I have seen Invaders From Space, which is another film from the series, and found it horrid. In fact, this series originally consisted of nine Japanese films, but were edited down to four for American release about ten years later. This particular film was originally three. In it Starman saves the earth from the Sumarians who are controlled by an evil brain.
August 24, 2009
The evil intergallactic brain commands his forces to attack earth and starman must might with all of his awesome powers!
May 29, 2009
i know this is the japanese answer to superman. i know this is a ripoff in every way possible. i know that its completely cheesy and terrible in just about every scene. but i can't say i've had much more fun with any japanese movie. this was completely satisfying to me in so many ways. the bad editing, dubbing, plot holes, special/sound effects, and many other things were so hilarious to watch. i haven't laughed this hard in a long time. the monsters that the evil balazar sent out were completely ridiculous in every way, from their tight spandex bottoms that totally showcased the crotch to the pointless gigantic eye on their waste to the so-called "solid cobalt nails" that could kill anything including starman. if you are a bad movie lover such as myself, you will have a LOT of fun with this one.
March 14, 2009
Wow, Evil Brain from Outer Space is really bad and, to be honest, this is its biggest advantage. I mean, the worse it is, the funnier. I'd like to have Starman's watch-like gadget :D
½ February 4, 2009
Even my son who was all of 8 months old when I watched this squealed. I'm pretty sure he was offended by what he was watching. This is about as bad as it gets folks.
bbcfloridabound
January 2, 2009
This is a Black & White film with a huge amount of monsters in it, some pretty wild ones at that. Some web sites say the movie was produced in 1964 others say 1956, I tend to believe 1956 by the quality of the film, supposed to be in the first edition of the starman series. What appears to be a child's Super hero. My copy came from the Mill Creek Nightmare Worlds 50 pack, but this movie is in a number of there different 50 / 100 packs. Anyway Starman is a cool dude, he first shows up to help a man being beaten by some thugs, he is dressed in a suit and they shoot at him from about 4 ft away and the bullet has no effect, at first I thought it was a mistake in the movie, but know its Starman, and starman flies cooler then superman, he actually turns with his hand as puts his arms alongside his body to gain speed, never seen superman do this. Anyway starman battles Balazar's Evil Brain in this one, and runs into some pretty cool monsters. Its worth getting if you get more then one movie in the set.
½ August 19, 2008
starman, deadly mutants, and a brain sans body that has the ability to destroy the earth? sweet cornbread in a top hat, this film is great! it's just as cheesy as the other starman films...which means it's also just as awesome.
½ July 8, 2008
Nuclear fears arise again in this weird cult classic, about a brain that has somehow become an evil living and moving entity, later riffed in the cartoon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as Krang, but here, original and just nuts. Not three stars though. Come on. (Steve Martin's Two Brains story wasn't really like this). Fun but totally silly.
May 18, 2008
Read review of Attack From Space, applies here as well. Great crappy fun.