Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn Reviews

• Sep 11, 2019

This is a funny movie, no really! Although The Evil Dead and Evil Dead II share numerous plot similarities, the tones of the features are significantly different. While both movies contain elements of satire, the first is much more of a straightforward horror endeavor than its sequel. Evil Dead II raises the stakes by introducing outright slapstick and one-liners into the mix. Consequently, the "scare level" of the movie drops a notch. It is still possible to be unsettled by Evil Dead II, but far less likely than by its predecessor. It's interesting to note the way Ash changes between The Evil Dead and Evil Dead II. In the former, he's a geeky guy who ends up being a reluctant hero of sorts. In the sequel, he's a none-too-bright macho dude who's out to get the "Dead-ites". By the end of Evil Dead II, he has an impressive arsenal of weapons, including a sawed-off shotgun and a chainsaw. Evil Dead 2 is a worthy sequel to the first Evil Dead, but the tone is so different you must go in with a perspective.

• Sep 09, 2019

Evil Dead II forms a rare sequel that improves upon the original with even more insanely cartoonish violence -- the whole reason we've come to like Evil Dead so much.

• Sep 05, 2019

Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell combine to create a shocking gut punch of slapstick phantasmagoria. A true original that broke the mold-- it's visual camp combined with gruesome physical effects challenged viewers perceptions of what horror could and should be. Both versions are absolute necessities.

• Sep 04, 2019

Definitely eerie and spooky. The special effects and makeup are really good. The camera work is so good. The whole P.O.V. of the evil chasing Ash is brilliant. This movie has one of the most disturbing stop motion scenes I have ever seen. It's almost unbelievable to think that this is the same guy who made the first three Spider-Man movies. An exaggerated amount of blood at times that it's hilarious. I love how the use of practical effect but the creative and original spin they put on it makes it even more interesting to watch. One thing for sure about this movie - your going to have one hell of a fun time watching it. This movie without a doubt is a horror and comedy classic. This movie was so fracking good. Way better than the first one in terms of everything.

• Aug 12, 2019

It's a little more manic and sillier than it's predecessor

It's a little more manic and sillier than it's predecessor

• Apr 05, 2019

This might be one of the most perfect horror movies ever. It never takes itself too seriously, and it doesn't overstay its welcome. This is just great.

• Apr 04, 2019

Not really that interesting. Ash chops off hand to avoid it taking over him because it got demon possessed, Ash straps chainsaw to stump, and gets blown into the past at the end of the film. I guess it has so many high ratings because of the comedy in it, but that doesn't make up for its problems in my opinion. There is little to no plot and the film only loosely follows the original film's story while essentially copying every scene (such as the bridge getting taken out, tree rape scene, etc.) It did keep me entertained, so I'll give it that (favorite scene was the chalk outline of the chainsaw), but the frenetic pacing of the scenes gave me anxiety that had nothing to do with horror and I was a little glad that it's a shorter film.

• Mar 25, 2019

This 'remake' of its predecessor starts almost exactly like the original, but then evolves into something bloodier and much funnier lead by a career-defining performance from Bruce Campbell.

• Mar 22, 2019

a sequal better than its predecessor showing the full copasity of an artists work

• Mar 15, 2019