Ex Drummer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ex Drummer Reviews

August 29, 2016
This movie is disturbing!
½ June 4, 2016
Que es la adaptación de un libro se nota y de muy buena forma, algo diferente, decadente con una música excelente.
February 2, 2016
I've had this one laying around for ages, as I think I won it in some random Interweb contest, so I was happy to finally give ti a spin and see what's up. The story of a group of misfits trying to form a rock band and the ensuing manipulations and chaos that this causes are rather engaging, though I don't know how often I would revisit the film.

Rental?
½ January 3, 2016
Being Belgian myself, I was able to read the book "Ex-Drummer" about a decade ago in its original language when I was 17 and I was pleasantly surprised by the eloquence, cynicism and misanthropy of author Herman Brusselmans. In spite of the dirty language, the book was pleasant to read and you really felt like you're exploring the mind of a lone intellectual hanging out with the lowest common denominators of Belgian society as part of a personal anthropological study in a world of despicable morons.

"Ex-Drummer" attempts to do the same but fails at every level. The main character is little different from the lowlife scumbags he mingles with, totally ruining the entire concept Brusselmans had made. The environment fails at its portrayal of the sad and depraved milieu it takes place in. The attempts at surrealism are superfluous and feel out of place. The screenplay is utterly boring and uninteresting. Without the eloquence and cynicism that's omnipresent in the book, the film is entirely void of content. Add to all this a few pretty disgusting scenes and you have a recipe for an unnecessary and barely watchable attempt at making an art house film. I would not recommend this film to anyone.
½ August 5, 2014
This was a very interesting film that definitely looked to be bizarre.
Had some really strong visuals and the story was interesting but it had lots of lulls.
½ July 9, 2014
obviously it isnt a family flick.
the camera work is very creative and even if the plot may not be great it is a quick look into the lives of a bunch of bizzarro misfits.
The main argument of this story is about a rich famous guy who wants to live the way those lowlifes lived having always an escape route. And its exactly what the viewer gets: A glimpse to that world having the oportunity to stop the movie at any time if they find it way to hard for them.
May 31, 2014
A truly nasty and devastating film.
This film has lots of blood, vomit, gore, dirt and dark stuff. At the same time it's a comedy of some sort. A very dark one, I guess.
It's got that kind of "I will include it, just because I can" attitude that some films have. It features a guy that's tied up in bed the entire film and some dude with a two feet penis. Some scenes are done with flipped camera. So much morbid and very brutal language and content here. A nice feature is the atmosphere and the neat editing and filming - original and effective.

One of the nastier films I've seen - I've had more shocking experiences and stranger ones, but it's up there on both of the lists. Experimental, debateable, extreme and a definitive stand-out from the movie scene.
Not bad, not great, but something to remember.

6.5 out of 10 wigs.
½ January 5, 2014
Quite genius. Very Belgian.
March 19, 2013
Loved it! Completely sick, incredibely raw, gritty, bold and bloody portrait of niilism and vulgarity! Loved it even more than Man Bites Dog!
½ February 4, 2013
impressive begining, but something got lost on the way ... the drummer shows his true colors - his a hipster, and whats worse, the director/writer identifies with him, so .. everything that's good about this movie, is unintantional.
dont understand why my fav char, Koen de Geyter, had to be made such a pussy next to that fuck
anyway, good ost, worth the shot
½ November 16, 2012
Nonostante le tante idee in fase di montaggio questa pellicola non mi ha convinto. Trovo sbagliati gli accostamenti con Trainspotting piuttosto credo sia più ragionevole confrontarlo col cinema di Larry Clark per la descrizione estrema del disagio giovanile che non fa sconti in quanto alla rappresentazione cruda della realtà e della violenza. Ma questa violenza spesso è forzata e narcisisticamente fine a sé stessa. Essendo un film che parla di un gruppo musicale non si può non citare la musica belga, molto hardcore.
July 13, 2012
Ex Drummer (Koen Mortier, 2007)

From everything I'd heard about Koen Mortier's Ex Drummer, a shockingly (well, shocking to me, anyway) controversial film when it came out in 2007, I expected it to be a Flemish Goreinvasión. Instead, I got a Flemish Hard Core Logo, and while it's nowhere near as brilliant as Bruce MacDonald's tale of life-on-the-road punk woe, it's funny, it's switchblade-sharp, and it's not nearly as politically incorrect, or as controversial, as you've been told.

Plot: Dries (successful TV actor Dries van Hagen, most recently in the series David) is a drummer who joins a band where everyone is handicapped. (This is the source of most of the controversy, and it's entirely artificial; the "handicaps" in question are of the emotional "daddy didn't cuddle me growing up" variety... which really, when you consider it, means Dries is joining Staind.) There is then great controversy among both critics and fans, entirely separate from the controversy that surrounds the "handicapped" issue, about what occurs. The press for the film, and most of the critics who reviewed it when it was first released, are convinced that Dries immediately starts manipulating the other members of the band in his own quest for fame and fortune. A growing number of us, on the other hand, have a different view of that, but I'm getting ahead of myself. In any case, the band (who are truly awful) start making a name for themselves, capitalizing on the handicapped angle. Can fame and fortune truly be on the horizon? Hey, it worked for the Kids of Widney High...

So, back to the manipulation angle, which is where the real controversy about the film can be found (in the same way that, say, it's "controversial" that the original cut of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is better than the director's cut). Is Dries actually manipulating the band? Because let's face it, these guys are stereotypes. They're lazy white-trash rednecks who are trying to find a way to get out of working for a living, and what they need is direction. Dries is the only one in the band with even the slightest motivation to get anyone going, even if that motivation is somewhat ulterior (Dries is a writer, and he's ultimately going to write about all this-but the band knows that before he signs on). How much can it be manipulation when everyone gets what they want, and Dries' laying down the law (which comes to a head about two-thirds of the way through the movie) seems a lot more like a frustrated parent dealing with raging toddlers than it does someone who's manipulating adults? The movie's worth watching just to find out what side of the line you're on.

Not that there's no other reason to watch it. It's wickedly funny, as politically incorrect as one would expect given the premise (the lazy-redneck premise, not the handicapped premise), and the sterling soundtrack is chock full of bands like Lightning Bolt, Mogwai, Isis, Arno, and Funeral Dress (okay, I'd never heard of the last before seeing the movie, but immediately picked up their first album after). It could've been a touch more coherent, to be sure, and it seems to lose its way during the final third of the film (until we get to the climax), as if Mortier (who adapted the screenplay from Herman Brusselmans' novel) didn't quite know how to get from point A to point B. Still, it's one to watch. ***
July 6, 2012
Mensen zijn lelijk, en dat is grappig. De film ook.
July 6, 2012
A true original, nothing like it.
½ June 6, 2012
Visionné dans le cadre du festival Fantasia 2008.

À peine Ex Drummer sorti en salle, les critiques montaient déjà sur leurs grands chevaux et proclamaient d'instinct que Koen Mortier était l'équivalent belge du visionnaire controversé Gaspar Noé, un réalisateur coup de coeur qui a véritablement révolutionné ma vision du cinéma par des longs-métrages déchirants de réalisme comme Seul contre tous et Irreversible.

La comparaison était poignante; difficile de ne pas se faire d'attentes dans de telles occasions. Parce qu'il aurait été très facile de tomber dans des sujets aussi glauques que ceux abordés par Noé sans pourtant être en mesure de les maîtriser convenablement, j'appréhendais quelque peu Ex Drummer, dont le synopsis m'avait pourtant si aisément séduit dès ma première lecture. Et pourtant, dès les premières minutes du film, le ton du film est clairement palpable: on a véritablement affaire à un second Gaspar Noé, à quelques différences près.

Dries, un auteur à succès, se voit proposer le poste de batteur dans un groupe de musique où chaque membre souffre d'un handicap quelconque. Le seul hic, c'est que ce dernier ne possède aucun handicap. Après réflexion, il finit par accepter. Au fur et à mesure que l'aventure progresse, Dries s'aperçoit que, psychologiquement, c'est véritablement lui le plus handicapé d'entre tous.

Sans véritablement être un film politiquement incorrect (une seule scène me vient en tête à ce propos), il s'avère que Ex Drummer plonge la salle dans un malaise nécessaire pour pousuivre le visionnement du film. Les thématiques abordées ne sont pas forcemment communes, et le cinéma sert alors ici d'intermédiaire pour forcer le spectateur à ouvrir les yeux sur une réalité qu'il se forçait à ignorer, soit celle de la pourriture de l'âme humaine et de son orgueil médiocre qui l'amène à accomplir les actions les plus viles sur son entourage. Chaque scène s'efforçant d'approcher une esthétique cinématographique originale, le long-métrage devient un bijou visuel douloureux qui s'emmêle peu à peu vers une décadence complète dans les recoins les plus profonds de nos propres défauts.

Ex Drummer, c'est un peu ce miroir qu'on voudrait tant briser avant qu'il ne nous montre des aspects de nous-même qu'on ne veut pas connaître.
½ April 28, 2012
A bit like 'This is Spinal Tap' but with the depravity turned up to 11. Both shocking and darkly comic, the last half hour drags a little as it seems to run out of ideas probably because it had run out of taboos to break.
October 26, 2011
Do yourself a favour and watch this movie. Brilliant, intriguing and disgusting.
October 23, 2011
Madness on meth, still i cant decide if i hate it or like it
½ October 21, 2011
½ September 11, 2011
No hay un solo personaje interesante en "Ex Drummer", una cinta que comienza como una imitación muy pobre de "Trainspotting" y termina con uno de esos tipicos clímax brutales que son explícitos y un tanto irrelevantes al resto de la pelicula. La historia contiene un tono bastante misógino y homofobico que se torna tedioso bastante rápido y nos impide identificarnos con la ridícula premisa donde un escritor quiere formar parte de una banda de metal.
Y aunque "Ex Drummer" contiene escenas obscenas esta es una cinta bastante genérica que recicla muchos elementos de mejores películas. Fans del metal deberían bajar el soundtrack e ignorar la cinta (algo que recomiendo a cualquier cinefilo).