Exit Through The Gift Shop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Exit Through The Gift Shop Reviews

½ November 28, 2016
A fascinating documentary about an eccentric guy who decided to film the work of street artists - which could immortalize their ephemeral art -, and it is not only the record of a movement but an amusing character study that also makes us question the nature and value of Art itself.
½ November 25, 2016
Ohh yeahhh baby!!!! Art in the hyperconnectivity era.
November 18, 2016
Coming from Banksy's home city, you can't miss a screening of anything 'him' related. If art in general is subjective, then the question of whether or not somebody is, or not a worthy artist is clearly down to what an artist provokes within. My personal view of the outcome was that the film itself and the string pulling the whole illusion was maybe the art and not the exhibition, either way .... Is this a touch of the Emperor's New clothes? Or is there really such a fine line between genius and insanity?
October 21, 2016
First part was fascinating, second part endearing. All in all, Banksy, Theirry, and the filmmakers have created beautiful art.
½ September 19, 2016
A flat and unengaging documentary about street art that only captures the surface of the process, without making any kind of reflection on the meaning of it.
Mixing the life of the filmaker to the creation of street art, the result fails to hold its pieces together.
½ September 14, 2016
Film and street art collide in this colorful and comical documentary from acclaimed artist Banksy.
½ September 4, 2016
Joke of a movie starts out with promise then you realize you were simply being trolled by whom ever actually created the film. They basically tell you how dumb the public is when it comes to art.
½ August 1, 2016
½ June 8, 2016
Banksy's directorial debut and it shows. It nears mockumentary status for how the subject of the film essentially becomes the filmmaker, but that switch comes too late to fulfill the larger narrative purpose or thesis, which isn't quite discernible either. I thought I'd be getting a film about graffiti and its status in the art world, but there is very little actual background or debate about this guerrilla art form.

The camera flashes quickly through the art pieces, not staying on any one long enough for the audience to take it in. The film is tainted by garbled and shadowed Banksy's desire for anonymous fame, and the motor is more propelled by Thierry Guetta's wild ravings and incompetent artistry than a real search for truth. This all makes me wonder whether or not Banksy even intended to make an earnest film about the legitimacy of graffiti (which seems to be what most people take away from this film), or if he actually just intended to alienate the audience with devil-may-care antics as a type of "joke's on you, this is shite" anti-art performance piece, and if that's the case, he may have succeeded.
May 25, 2016
Hard to believe, Exit Through the Gift Shop is wacky, inspiring, illuminating and mind blowing narrative.
½ April 29, 2016
This AMAZING documentary on Mister Brainwash is enough to change anyone's prejudice on the outlook of street art and enough to give inspiration for just about anything.
April 29, 2016
The title is telling. Do artists create art for art sake or for the prospects in the gift shop? While Banksy's art is thought-provoking and this is a Banksy directed film, the subject of the film, Mr. Brainwash, is less about commentary on brainwashing in media / pop culture and more about or maybe less about an original idea. I'm not sure about this one.
½ March 16, 2016
Image: it's important.
February 16, 2016
The con that is modern art is on full display in this engrossing documentary.
½ February 5, 2016
I'm still watching it. It made me laugh a bit. matey boi iz nuts. got a headache now. The film/documentary turned into a real Synecdoche, New York (kinda) well reminded me of it slightly. Mr Brain Wash is dog poo, The riff raff luv u.
January 8, 2016
Pretty good movie. Very beautiful movie about an art that some see as demeaning. It definitely shines a light on street artists. But, the movie was a bit too long for my taste, especially for a documentary. But, very interesting and memorable.
December 17, 2015
Leaves you to think, doesn't it!
November 25, 2015
Pretty cool look at a cultural icon. I don't know how he keeps his anonymity. I hope he continues to put his public art out there.
October 18, 2015
Loved this weirdness. At once confusing, amazed at the stupidity of consumers, irritated with Banksy, laughed at Thierry, duped, tricked and played, all in the name of great entertainment!
½ September 20, 2015
Took me a while to get around to seeing this one, but I'm glad I did. It's a funny, satirical look at modern art and the idiocy of hypes.
Is it largely staged? Is all of it true? Who cares, it's entertaining and it gets its message across loud and clear.