Exit Through The Gift Shop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Exit Through The Gift Shop Reviews

November 25, 2015
Pretty cool look at a cultural icon. I don't know how he keeps his anonymity. I hope he continues to put his public art out there.
October 18, 2015
Loved this weirdness. At once confusing, amazed at the stupidity of consumers, irritated with Banksy, laughed at Thierry, duped, tricked and played, all in the name of great entertainment!
September 5, 2015
9/5/1?5 Netflix

A funny documentary that might even be a mocumentary. Anything involving Banksy is interesting and this film explores him as well as other renown street artists. Is this real, who knows but it does touch on the craziness that is the art world.
½ September 1, 2015
The best part about this documentary is how it still captivates your interest throughout the entire film.
½ August 23, 2015
Banksy is an enormous dweeb but his movie is pretty cool
½ August 17, 2015
A funny and interesting character study. I don't even care if the whole movie is fake, because it is extremely entertaining to watch!
July 30, 2015
Interesting story, almost too good to be true. Guetta kind of epitomizes what I don't like about modern art and the whole art scene. Still an interesting figure. I don't get the hype of Banksy, he just seems like a great advertiser, much in the way he criticizes Guetta near the end of the film. Guetta himself seems like quite the character.
July 7, 2015
Interesting but seems a little fake? MRBW
June 29, 2015
Omggggggggg I totally wanna see it !!!!!!
April 29, 2015
A unique documentary that gives a insightful look into the world of street art, while also begging the question of what art really means.
April 14, 2015
An odd, little documentary that provides insight on the subject of urban art, that wavers a bit, but is shot like a piece of "graffiti" itself.
March 28, 2015
enjoyed quite a bit but was left wondering..
is the joke on us or the art world itself?
March 28, 2015
This was really funny and really interesting.
March 22, 2015
This hilarious street art documentary is sure to please people who've never even heard of street art.
½ March 12, 2015
An engrossing and rare look into the underground cultural movement of street art made with such finesse and insight that it serves both as a rich documentary and an allegory for human nature and what is perceived as art.
March 11, 2015
We've all been myster brain washed.
½ February 23, 2015
A really fun look at art and authenticity.
February 23, 2015
This documentary initially seems just like an expose on the artists behind the punk rock art, but truly it's about a crazy individual who could just be crazy like a fox. Thierry obsessively films everything all the time, and the artist's work has such a short lifespan they're happy to have some documentation before it gets painted over and torn down. With thousands of hours of footage Thierry claims to be making documentary, but in actuality everything he captures ends up becoming a documentary about Thierry.
As art goes from punk rock to collector's editions and the very thing these people were being arrested for is now selling for thousands of dollars, Thierry goes from dimwit to genius. The entire process puts the concept of art into question. Like Ed Wood or Tommy Wiseau his passionate effort becomes camp and his peers think he's just a lucky idiot.
Some parts of this doc work out a little too perfectly in the narrative and one wonders if he's a concoction of Banksy and Shepard Fairey. This has been debated ever since the movie came out, but never substantiated. So giving the benefit of the doubt that this is a true story how do we evaluate these artists work? If someone cares enough to create does that simply make it art? Or do we need collectors to spend millions on it in a gallery for it to be a valid thing. So far as I can tell ART is the value in and of itself. The commerce of art is the joke, because life is fleeting n' shit.
Anyway while we're on the subject, if you live in Chicago I highly recommend Cole's Bar on a Wednesday night (when they have some decent open mic comedy). You'll see some interesting local art displays in the main bar, and some grungy street art in the bathroom. Best of all, you'll see that 'fuck it' attitude all over.
February 16, 2015
Que história inusitada e surpreendente. Talvez Banksy devesse tentar uma carreira paralela como documentarista.
February 4, 2015
Documentary about graffiti artists are the subject of this documentary.