The Exonerated - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Exonerated Reviews

January 30, 2013
I wish I hadn't wasted my time. I'm not sure how I even stumbled upon this film. Dumbest shit ever.
April 22, 2010
Just try to watch the end and not tear up. Just try. Seriously, powerful stuff.
September 29, 2009
Unfortunately for the real-life subjects of The Exonerated, the death penalty is exactly what they did not deserve. Portraying harrowingly narrow escapes from unjust execution, the powerful stories of six innocent death row inmates are related. We witness the gross failures of court justice, the painful incarceration as the convicted await that reprieve which is as uncertain as it is deserved and finally the freedom which is irrevocably scarred by their past ordeals.

Much of the strength of the play's message lies in its simplicity. A panel of actors sit across a harshly-lit stage and read from lecterns. Any sense of theatrical artifice is underplayed, so that the experience possesses a powerful sense of the genuine.
August 10, 2009
Actor/Director Bob Balaban directed this fascinating pseudo documentary on death row inmates that are innocent, based on true stories. Actors tell the stories of the people charged with the crimes, and some of the acts are played out. This is a good lesson on the evils of capital punishment, and with great actors such as Susan Sarandon, Aidan Quinn, Danny Glover, Brian Dennehy and others, their stories are riveting and true. This is probably one of the best true life movies you'll ever see on this subject.
May 10, 2009
This is the story of 8 people who have been wrongly accused of a crime which they are given a death sentence for. This is really a documentary of their experiences... this is not a light movie.
June 28, 2008
If you have an opinion about the death penalty, you must see this film. Using the voices of renowned actors against the backdrop of an unlit black stage, Bob Balaban allows the words from court records and interviews to examine the issue with a clarity I did not think possible. If you haven't an opinion regarding the penalty, it is improbable to emerge from the piece without one. Please watch this.
½ April 4, 2008
This is a very interesting cable television movie from 2005. It starred Susan Saradon, Aidan Quinn, Danny Glover, Brian Dennehy, among others. This was originally a play, and it doesn't change much on screen. All of the above play ex-Death Row inmates who through either DNA evidence or other exculpatory evidence are effectively cleared of all criminal charges. It's powerful.
March 23, 2008
Very good movie!!! We need to do something about...