Explicit Ills - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Explicit Ills Reviews

June 5, 2010
its like you are seeing a De Ja Vu for some better films, Mr. Webber did a terrible job directing this job and it was really boring in sending a good massage about morality.
½ May 4, 2010
Not as good as I expected. The first half was better, then the story kind of changed.
April 24, 2010
rambling & hard 2 follow-tries 2 steal a page from robert altman but falls way short.
April 14, 2010
This is one of those movies that sounds great on paper but because its been done a hundred times before it doesn't hold your interest at all. None of the stories are interesting or compelling. They really don't seem to have a point nor do they make much sense. The characters because of a lack of storyline are dull and boring. Despite this the acting is the only movie's saving grace, mostly the youngest actor is what kept me watching. You know the writer was trying to go for the big picture message but it was completely lost on me, since it lacked an overall story and direction, I felt the director was just scratching the surface of these characters and there interlocking story. We never really get to know these characters instead were treated to random monologues hat don't connect. If the script were tighter, have an overall connecting message we could have gotten a lot more character development out of the entire cast. Sadly this is just one of those been, there done that, not saying anything films.
½ April 12, 2010
Ensemble drama clumsily works its way to a Big Message
April 8, 2010
A friendlier, kid version of 'The Wire.' But not as good. I'm not sure as to the premise of the movie, but it to covers lives from actual poverty to that of drug laden trust fund faux poverty. Parts are touching. Gather what you will, but I'm proud to be drug free.
½ March 13, 2010
One of the best indie films of 2009. The film surrounds itself with 4 interlocking stories that centre around love, drugs and poverty and how they corrupt lives. This was a powerful experience and one not to be missed. The entire cast does a fine job and there is some new amazing talent to be noted here.
March 1, 2010
I love movies set in inner cities, but this was pretty pointless. What's the point of having interconnecting stories when there's no story and not enough character development?
December 29, 2009
(** 1/2): Thumbs Down

A decent cast is here but the film just didn't quite grab me. A near-miss.
December 20, 2009
Why it lacked an overall story and direction, I really enjoyed the visual asettic and style of the film. I felt the director was just scratching the surface of these characters and there interlocking story. We never really get to know we do a little but I think if the script were tighter we could have gotten a lot more character development out of the entire cast. Lou Taylor Pucci was great he is becoming one of my favorite actors quite quickly.
December 4, 2009
Sooo good but sooo sad!
½ November 29, 2009
more socialist propaganda
½ October 24, 2009
Just because this movie has a full cast of wonderful actors doesn't make it a good movie. The message is great (better healthcare), and the examples of what happens to the people in the film who do not have health insurance is needed to see, BUT, it was slow and depressing.
½ October 23, 2009
What a powerful hidden gem. The plight of Americans...to end poverty and get health care for the good of all. To stop cut backs in Health Care and to stop needless deaths of young children because the family cannot afford the prescription that would save his/her life. I recommend that everyone see this little film...eye opener...
½ October 3, 2009
This is a great American movie in the real sense of the description. I recognized the people in this. I've seen them in NY and it was very touching.
September 9, 2009
This film proved better than I expected. It could stand to be about 20 minutes longer and would greatly benefit from giving Paul Dano more screen time.
August 30, 2009
Rosario Dawson does an amazing performance as Babo's mom! I also liked how this film showed the various people in a community who are affected and who care about the need for better health care, particularly for poor people.
½ August 28, 2009
I enjoyed watching the characters in this movie develop, but I really liked Babo. Slice of life type movie.
August 27, 2009
this movie was really beautiful. I can't say much. It starts off slow but you have just be in for a really good movie that takes a while for the story to develop. i loved it.