The Exploding Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Exploding Girl Reviews

July 4, 2014
I have never really noticed Zoe Kazan as an actress before and now I've all of a sudden seen five of her movies in a row. Sadly this was the only one I haven't really enjoyed out of the five.
The storyline and acting was great, the filmography was great as well, especially in the beginning and end. I just found it very slow and it was quite difficult managing to sit all the way through, despite it being very short.
August 30, 2013
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
August 17, 2013
The two things I remember about this movie:

1) The main character has epilepsy but that's not the point of the story. Both of the stars I gave the film are for the refreshing normalcy with which a "disabled" character is portrayed.

2) It's otherwise a movie about people not answering their cell phones when you want them to, providing a blow-by-blow account of nothing happening.
February 16, 2013
Zoe Kazan is one of the most gorgeous young actress adding freshness and spark to most of the indie flicks she stars in. Exploding Girl greatly beenfits from Kazan's radiant personality and looks, however, drifts off into something blant and empty. Juding by the favorable reviews of the critics, it seems, once again, that I have only looked at the surface of it. It's undoubtedly a very quiet and subtly told character study that requires you to be in the right mood. Probably, I wasn't. I'll give it another chance.
November 27, 2012
This is reaaally slow. It was decent. Watch at your own risk.
½ July 28, 2012
This movie was slow and utterly pointless.
April 12, 2012
The Exploding Girl is kind of just a prototype of an independent film. It has scenes you've seen before, understated characters who go through hard times and mope around at parties, or have meaningless banter with their parents. Aside from being fairly well acted, this movie isn't much different than countless other indie films. The reason I like it is a purely egocentric one: I've found myself in situations like this before. Being a college student and observing the sort of innate transience of friendships, relationships, and environments, this movie did have some effect on me, despite the endless scenes of people walking or doing random things that establish far too much mood and far too little substance. I'd say there's a really great movie in here somewhere if ideas were expanded and the writer/director was willing to push a conventional film in a more audacious direction.
March 26, 2012
" Tell her that I say feel better. I mean, I know she doesn't know me,and I don't know her,,,but..."
March 4, 2012
Like its titular character, The Exploding Girl is simple and sweet and familiar. At first I found its pondering pace to be tiresome. Slowly however, the good natured sincerity of the movie worked its way into my heart.
March 4, 2012
A small, sweet movie with a couple of beautiful visuals and a thoughtful performance by Kazan as a college student struggling through a summer.
½ February 18, 2012
One of the best low budget indies I've seen since Cold Weather.
January 6, 2012
The problem with independent movies is that either they are really good or they really suck. This one really sucked but it's a great movie to put on if your gonna go lie down and go to sleep, because it will make you want to do just that.
hunterjt13
November 27, 2011
A epileptic woman in a fizzling relationship considers romance with her longtime platonic friend.
There are such long moments of silence in this film, the camera trained on Zoe Kazan's often impassive face through much of it, that it is easy to lose interest in the story and characters.
As I watched the film, I thought that all of this must have happened to the writer or director, and he thought it was terribly compelling at the time and would've made a good film, but sometimes such personal stories don't translate. So much is built on silence, and sometimes I thought that whatever they were trying to communicate slipped through the cracks of understanding.
Overall, I think this is a film you either love or hate, either connect with or don't, and I found myself checking my watch instead of propelled by the character's journey.
½ November 17, 2011
If it is something really really really slow that you wanna watch this is it. It isn't a bad movie honestly but it is just really really really slow
November 12, 2011
There are many scenes where your just watching Ivy do nothing or she's talking on her cell phone. Then you have annoying camera shots of the characters and objects blocking my view or cars whizzing by. Throughout the whole movie I'm asking myself why the two main characters don't just hook up. But I'm supposed to like movies like this because it's "artsy", right.
October 26, 2011
the simple beauty of a break up is having someone there for you.
½ October 9, 2011
Switch into your calm zone and enjoy this quiet gem. It's attempt at being an honest, truthful, realistic love story hits very near the mark. Ivy (Zoe Kazan) is epileptic, thus, the somewhat misleading title, and a source of suspense. When I picked up the film the first thing the title reminded me of was the line from Repo Man "It happens you know...people just explode." Still that part of the story is skillfully underplayed, it is an undercurrent in Ivy's life. She can't drive, she needs to have someone around to take a bath, she has to visit doctors for blood
tests and the like, but she does not let it define her or get in her way. Al (Mark Rendall) is a long time neighborhood friend who also rode home from the college together. Soon he learns his parents had rented out his room, with no where to turn, he stayed the summer with Ivy and her mom.
Director Gray let's the cameras roll and we watch Ivy endure heartache as her old relationship dissolves via cell phone conversations. The plot is predictable. Ivy and Al slowly spend the summertime together and inevitably realize they are happiest when they are together. The leisurely pace of this film reminded me of "The Way Home", "Ghost World" and "Lost in Translation", all films that allow rich truths to blossom in one stark plot and "geologic" movie time. It winds up being warm and sincere and real.
½ September 3, 2011
A quiet film, but in all the right ways. There's so much unspoken but it only heightens the desired effect. Really, really a special picture.
August 29, 2011
This film is your standard issue indie film, when you think of a art house film this kind of film I think comes to mind for most, that doesn't mean it is a bad film. It is like a love child of Woody Allen and a Gus Van Zant movie (that is too much information right there). The acting is very spot on, the visuals is very well done however the films' major weakness is also what makes it unique is it's pace. The film runs like a snail or a camera that was placed somewhere to let things go as they may like a live theatre performance.

I think most people who watch this movie who are not gauged for art house films will be turned off by how incredibly slow this film is and how artsy it is but if you can get passed all that you are treated to a nice story with a nice ending.
½ August 11, 2011
Long film with little plot.