The Extra Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Extra Man Reviews

July 30, 2015
Quaint, killed time. 2 out of 5 Stars.
½ December 6, 2014
The cast made this movie worth watching, but it was full of strange characters.
November 24, 2014
A really awful movie. Weak story. Kevin Kline at his worst.
½ May 16, 2014
Always been a fan of Paul Dano.
September 9, 2013
Paul Dano is starting to become pigeon-holed in my head. The more I see him, the more I realize he is perfect at playing strange characters (like Michael Shannon, without the intimidation factor.) Kevin Kline is ridiculously awesome in this movie. It's a little bizarre and occasionally laugh out loud funny.
½ June 15, 2013
Kind of reminds me of Harold and Maud, but a bit too without focus and rambling.
½ June 11, 2013
The script is indifferent to our desires, and attempts the crime of art piece. That is truly a flaw. The character of Kline's seems a child of Del Close's depiction in My Day's with Del Close, and that is truly a saving grace. The magic is in. If Kline is off screen Katie Holmes seems authentic and at peace.. as if she phoned it in, but in a Brando natural style, that invites the camera inward. If you want hacky comedy Rielly will break your heart and all supposition. The only draw back to this one is that you are ushered in and out of the cross dressing of the main character and feel that it is both canned and maybe a shame reserved for the 20's. Show me the money, and do what you do dawg. Squirming over a drag show is archaic.
June 3, 2013
A quirky comedy, a few laughs, good performances.
May 21, 2013
A decent comedy with some fine character work all around, even if it's slight and pushes the whimsy too hard at times.
March 18, 2013
Strange and humorous in equal measure, The Extra Man is an interesting character study but is ultimately forgettable.
February 1, 2013
This immediately became one of my favorite films, I watched it twice in one week.
Paul Dano is the perfect oddball, charming yet believably flawed and Kline is gold. 10/10
January 27, 2013
Quirky can be good, but not in this case. Only Kline is worth watching.
½ January 10, 2013
The lack of female companionship is as good a reason as any to start cross dressing...
December 21, 2012
Wildy fun and incredibly interesting. Kevin Kline's character Louis is so neurotically endearing! Paul Dano's delivery of a "coming of age" man discovering and exploring his inner demons is wonderfully played out.
Thoroughly enjoyed this movie (3 times so far, still enjoying it)... John C. Reilly's character (I won't give further info as it may spoil the film's surprise pieces) is very well done. You'll be amazed. You will enjoy this film if you can move beyond mindless into appreciative of our idiosyncrasies. Especially when Kevin "dances" ... Oh delightful.
December 15, 2012
Here's an excellent example of a movie that left its best material in the trailer. The premise had much potential. Kline and Dano are fine actors with good onscreen chemistry and the first 30 minutes were charming and quirky. However, the story quickly flatlined and the charming quirkiness turned weird.
½ November 10, 2012
Odd dud with cross-dressing and endless voice over narration that kind of meanders along dragging us to introductions of strange, unlikable character after character. Might be for someone, but not for me.
October 14, 2012
kinky and melancholic. perfect
October 7, 2012
Kevin Kline is amazing as usual, extremely witty film.
September 28, 2012