Extraordinary Rendition - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Extraordinary Rendition Reviews

November 22, 2011
Brutal and realistic. A lot better than the Hollywood version 'Rendition'
December 24, 2010
Failed to hold my attention
October 18, 2009
I thought it was very insightful though it made me mad to see that man tortured without a shred of evidence.
May 31, 2009
One of those films you are supposed to like...or appreciate...but I couldn't help but notice the cliches running the subtext of this. It was not engaged or enlightened and feel I should have been. Not boring...but not compelling either. I should feel for the Muslims as well, but I'm still not able to do so. This failing, I suppose, is my own...but there it is.
May 31, 2009
Suprisingly it was interesting to watch,similar to film Rendition with Gyllenhaal...But yes the story was same...u can watch it if u dont have anything better to do...
May 31, 2009
muito legal!!! quando o filme se aproxima do fim ocorre um evento surpreendente... no final eu quase chorei... (e daí? :P)
May 31, 2009
Excellent Film! Thats all i can say.
May 31, 2009
This film is effectively a very deliberate film which tackles the snatching of terrorism suspects by CIA agents for torturing in secret prisons in countries about the globe in not very nice countries. As the film shows, this is highly horrible, deplorable and something we should be angry about. This doesn't make an excellent film though and the point of the film seems solely to be based around making you angry and upset and presumably incite you to do something. This presents a problem, as whilst your aware that you're not enjoying the film a whole lot you wonder if that's the object in the first place. This isn't a happy feel-good film and isn't supposed to be. The film is intended to make you feel uncomfortable and angry and in that sense, and indeed in the manner it is shot and direction, it delivers perfectly what it sets out to do. However, there's a fair chance that unless you're heavily embroiled in left wing politics or appreciate the point being made as the sole basis of judgement for the film then you will ADORE this. I, despite being aware of the illegal abduction and torture of suspects and being horrified to learn of it in a current events documentary, did not enjoy this though. A good film therefore but not one I can say is amazing, and I ended up feeling like when I watched "Enduring Love" or the foreign film "Sofia" i.e. you feel bad and like you're missing something for not enjoying it more.
½ May 31, 2009
I am amazed at how many people are snatched off the street to be 'rendered'.
May 31, 2009
Fantastic, makes you wounder what exactly is going on out there.
May 31, 2009
It makes me very sad that 85% of the facebook population has no interest in a true story that should be on the forefront of everyone's minds these days.
May 31, 2009
This is a very good film that deals with an extremely challenging issue in a though provoking and humane way.
This movie from first time director Jim Threapleton (I knew I recognised the name, him being the ex partner of Kate Winslett) is not easy viewing as it is not meant to be.
The film is the story of Zaafir (an excellent Omar Berdouni) a university lecturer who deals with contentious issues such as democracy coming out of periods of violence and is also involved in programmes that promote learning in the Islamic world. Zaafir is suddenly taken of the streets by unnamed US and British agents and then transferred to an unnamed county to be questioned / tortured all in the name of justice.
The torturer in chief is never named as they would not be but is played excellently by Andy Serkiss with the right amount of evil and malice mixed with the compassion he needs to draw information.
The torture sequences are rightly hard to watch and you begin to see how confessions gained in such conditions truly are worthless.
The film is well directed and the editing serves the story well switching from before the kidnapping tgo after the kidnapping to show how the events not only affect Zaafir bit all those close to him especially his partner. Indeed some of the scenes between them the dialogue is intentionally very low in the mix as the raw emotions of the torture play out.
Highly recommended.
May 31, 2009
Thoughful, but the style is ultimately dull, I understand the context of the flashbacks but it fails to engage the audience after a while, even though some of the torture scenes are brutal.
May 31, 2009
incredible film. such a tragic tale that broke my heart to watch the trauma and despair that can be caused by these terrible acts on mankind
May 31, 2009
great filming tackling a storyline that is very relevant to today's society and makes you realise how dangerous it is for people to believe what they do, because of other people's actions who share the same beliefs. the torture scenes were horrific, and i really thought that he would continue to refuse to sign the confession and die with dignity but i guess he surrended for his life. It's a shame this film ended where it did as i would have liked to see where it would go..
½ May 31, 2009
Ultimately this is all very depressing. A very naturalistic and authentic-feeling depiction of a brutal practice, that shatters and alienates families. But its deadpan style and muted lighting doesn't always help propel the story along. That said, some of the flashbacks early in the film paint a usefully rounded portrait of the central victim.

The 'confession' extracted is self-evidently worthless, and there are hints at its effect, to create the very sort of terrorist that the rendition policy allegedly seeks to eradicate. The film could have gone on from there, but I'm glad it didn't. Partly because the style would have turned me off, but mostly because it had already effectively presented its case.
½ May 31, 2009
a pretty interesting film, good companion piece to the american movie "rendition". it's kinda ironic how in trying to "save" the world from terrorists, new ones are created in the process
May 31, 2009
Been done. almost the same title too.
February 12, 2009
Extremely powerful and disturbing.
½ September 19, 2008
a sucessful musslim, is taken from his safe london home to a european country where, he is tortured, for information, by a c.i.a type agency, a procedure, common post 9.11, a more indie effort than the more hollywood rendition from last year, and less glossy and mushy, not really giving answers than the target had a few encounters with possible cells, but does get into his mind well, with a good flashback structure of his time in london, to his treatment, a short running time, doesent hurt this film either