Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close Reviews

• Jan 30, 2019

1.5/5. Most of the supporting actors are solid, but the main character is just so insufferable it makes this film nearly unwatchable. How it got nominated for Best Picture I will never understand.

• Dec 10, 2018

I had to watch it in class and it gave me Ligma 2.5 dead furries out of 5

I had to watch it in class and it gave me Ligma 2.5 dead furries out of 5

• Nov 07, 2018

This film was almost good.

This film was almost good.

• Aug 24, 2018

through the lens.. Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close Extremely Loud And Extremely Close is a character driven feature about the repercussions that a terrorism breeds on a much simpler mind. The premise has potential enough to withhold the audience for its runtime since its contradictory nature that plays irony and satire calculatively but in excessive amount. Its structure is benign and questionable and its tour de manipulative emotions that are drawn out from cheap shots. But in its own sketchy terms, it is utterly electrifying to the core with sensitive material that is respected with brilliant material. The conversations may be pragmatic but few liners hits hard and draws out most of the emotions from its skill to play with words like a puppet. The makers are aware of its poignant concept, pathos and vulnerable characters whose fragile and innocent relationship is explored layer by layer in here which works most of the part like an onion; peeling off will result into tears. The places the features visit is also a bit obnoxious but the procedure it follows to shift from one sequence to another is the key. The background score is decent with a camera work that is pleasant and appropriately handled with beautiful locations, bright colors and stunning visuals. On the other hand, it is short on cinematography, sound department, production design and editing. Hanks is supportive, Bullock is achingly good with an amazing support from Sydow and the convincing and troubled protagonist Horn. Daldry has grown mature on his execution skills no matter how much the script overchews, he elevates the heart rate of the viewers and keeps them rooting for the characters. Plethora of emotions, character's perspective and sharp and edgy one liners are the high points of the feature. Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close is an essential tale about the nature of humanity that is peeked through the lens of a persona that is unaware of the terms and conditions of the society.

• Aug 08, 2018

extremely boring and incredibly excruciating

extremely boring and incredibly excruciating

• Jun 30, 2018

A deep movie, that takes you through a young boys journey of grief.

A deep movie, that takes you through a young boys journey of grief.

• Jun 18, 2018

Having seen the 49% critical rating on Rottentomatoes.com concerned me since the trailers for this film had me anxiously awaiting its release. I never read those reviews until after I see the film. Then, if I disagree, I go back and read what insight other critics had in the film that I didn't see. 9 times out of 10, it is because the critic doesn't like the translation of the written material from book to screenplay. That appears to be the case with "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close." I haven't read the book, so aside from some small "Hollywoodisms," I can't see how anyone could hate this movie. Thomas Horn's portrayal of Oskar is touching, heartwrenching, precious and incredibly real. I cringed a couple of times where it was clear that the story was being manipulated and, as a person who is known to cry at these kinds of things, I didn't. I was moved by how "father-and-son" the story was. However, I wish I had received more than a "meh" from my 16 year-old who saw it with me. 9/11 is such a risky theme around which one would base a story, but, aside from the recon adventures and Asperger element of Oskar's character, I can imagine that the emotion and the time it took to let sink in the inexplicable and sudden horror that happened on that day had on families, especially children, of the victims as very close to reality. The setting of New York City is a character in and of itself in the movie. As a lover of NYC, i strongly connected with every stop in his tour of the boroughs, seeking the answers he thought his father wanted him to find. Overall, "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" is worth the time and engagement, if for Thomas' performance alone. Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock are perfect to support Thomas without smothering his wonderful work. And while it's hard to imagine Max von Sydow as anyone but Ming the Merciless in "Flash," his script-less role is stronger than most in other movies with 2 full hours of dialogue. The movie is precious from beginning to end.

• Apr 30, 2018

This is by far one of the best films I've ever seen, from its well crafted plot lone, charcters, and music. It gives you a plot that's believable and yet seems unrealistic and impossible of a boy trying to find a lock that fits a key, and using it as a way to deal with his father's passing and how there are some questions that won't be answered.

• Apr 23, 2018

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close Directed By: Stephen Daldry Starring: Thomas Horn, Tom Hanks, and Sandra Bullock Plot: A troubled young boy, Oskar, is trying to cope with the loss of hisfather. Oskar starts lashing out at his mother and the world. Until a yearlater, he discovers a mysterious key in his father's belongings and embarks on a scavenger hunt to find the matching lock, just as he used to when his father was alive. On this journey he is bound to meet a lot of people and learn a lot about himself and his family, but will he ever find the lock? Review: This movie is a deep emotional ride into how a kid deals with the tragic loss of his father and his attempt to keep his father close to him and not moving on. This movie drew me in right from the start I was literally on the edge of my seat watching this film. It was great to watch a film that not only makes me think but has the ability to make me feel so sad and emotional. This isn't a happy story real but it has a positive message but if you're not into depressing films you might want to skip this film as its based around 9/11. Rating: 8/10 Recommendation: Rent; It's a great movie but I feel it only needs to be watched one time to understand it and get the full effect of this emotional film.

• Jan 18, 2018

Spectacular editing; great performance from the main character. Interesting script and concept. Recommend.