Eye of the Needle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eye of the Needle Reviews

½ March 6, 2011
An exciting old spy thriller....he just goes on and on unstoppable which makes it a bit unrealistic...otherwise enjoyable
½ December 3, 2010
A bit far fetched storyline but excellant acting from Donald Sutherland and Kate Nelligan.
½ November 27, 2010
Unconventional thriller set during the days before the d-day invasion. A few too many similar killings by Sutherland makes them a bit comical by the end, but to shoe horn a love story in the middle of this was something I didn't expect. Plus the same director as Return of the Jedi.
½ September 23, 2010
WWII spy film from the novel by Ken Follet. Well worth watching as super cool Nazi spy Donald Sutherland kills anyone in his path. Highly suspenseful, this one will keep you on the edge of your seat. Wear a raincoat, because once our German spy reaches a UK island, there is nothing but rain, rain, rain.

The crux of the plot is that Sutherland is a German spy who uncovered the Anglo-American scheme to keep General Patton up north in a fake generalship, something the Germans never thought possible since he was a respected opponent of theirs since his success against them in the Africa campaign and into Italy.

But now here comes the spy with proof that can blow the lid off the hoax that the Allies have hatched for the D-Day invasion.

Unfortunately, our spy stumbles on an island with a lighthouse and radio (very important to the plot) plus a husband and wife. The husband is a crippled RAF flier who uncovers the spy's true intents and almost succeeds in killing him... but that doesn't work and its up to the woman who has a child and wants sex worse than anything.... until she too discovers everyone, including her husband, is ending up dead.

The light goes on in the mind our little lady of adultery. Seeing everyone around her dead, she figures her newfound "lover" is nothing but a snake in the grass.

A thriller to the very end, watch this on a rainy night if possible, as rain is everywhere in the plot. I had to dry out my clothes more than once just watching this one.

Diabolical David Sutherland is at his best in this war flick, very well shot, acted and directed. The bed scenes are a bit tame for our times, but no doubt were risque for the eighties. By the way, I could predict the woman would get into bed with Sutherland since her hubby had no use of his legs. I use mine all the time to great effect.
½ September 2, 2010
I seen this years and years ago cannot remember it though.
terris85017
July 30, 2010
(1981 Director: Richard Marquand) What strikes me about Donald Sutherland starring in this movie as Faber, an undercover top-tier German informant during WW II is that it is so different from Donald SUtherland's role in "The Dirty Dozen," certainly an amazing film.

Ian Bannen co-stars as Percy Godliman as a leading military role trying to stop the talented and illusive Faber. Not unlike Scotland Yard their efforts more the most part almost lend a feel of "Keystone Cops" to the Brits.
[more review to follow)
July 29, 2010
Very solid WWII espionage thriller.
July 22, 2010
En højst usædvanlig person, D. Sutherland, der samtidig er tysk spion, går helt ubemærket rundt i tophemmelige områder i Sydengland i 1944, og tager fotos til Hitler, der afsløre kommende planer om D-dag. Men i stedet for straks at sende sine altafgørende oplysninger til tyskerne, ved hjælp af sin radiosender, som han ellers bruger flittigt i starten af filmen, skal Sutherland ud på en lang og vanskelig flugt op gennem England, til en lille ø ved Scotland, hvor en tysk ubåd venter ham. Utroligt nok, ser man flere scener i filmen, med amerikanske helikoptere, der først kom i anvendelse 6-7 år senere i Korea. - Dårligt plot, totalt urealistisk forløb.
½ June 2, 2010
Sutherland was brilliant suspenseful as well
March 28, 2010
Haven't saw this movie in years! Taped it off "Encore". Donald Sutherland fantastic!
March 17, 2010
Here's a pretty underrated film that needs some attention. A good WWII spy thriller with Donald Sutherland excelling as a Nazi spy.
March 3, 2010
A bit over the top spy thriller. But Sutherland is great as the nefarious and delightfully creepy spy. And my first time seeing, Kate Nelligan, what a great actress and great to look at too .
February 21, 2010
Read the book and saw the moving when it was released. Great movie......watching on WGBX PBS 44 tonight. Donald Sutherland plays a great role as german spy!
½ February 3, 2010
Flawless spy thriller adapted from the novel by Ken Follet. Donald Sutherland as the spy is chilling and the end game plays out in the middle a powerful love triangle. A very satisfying and entertaining film.
Tecnoandre
January 23, 2010
Classic spy movie of ww2 based in a classic book by Ken Folett.
flixsterman
½ January 20, 2010
Donald Sutherland is a ruthless German spy operating in war-torn England during WWII. He's relentless. He's cold-blooded. He must be stopped. What more do you need to know?
January 11, 2010
Donald Sutherland is wonderful, and it's a tightly told thriller.
½ October 6, 2009
Sutherland as the spy sleuth was okay, but the movie was a bit on the dull side and fairly predictable. The story was imaginative though.
½ October 4, 2009
Good old spy classic. There is a German spy in England and he have vital information about the invasion of France. He has to be stopped. One of my favourite movies with Donald Sutherland.