Eye of the Tiger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eye of the Tiger Reviews

½ December 13, 2014
Gary Busey takes the law into his own hands when a biker gang murder his wife and put his daughter into a comatose state. The power of Busey is strong in this one, but what isnā(TM)t strong is the soundtrack. I do give credit that the evil biker gang does go out of its way to be evil. I also give credit that a super criminal lays pity on Busey by way of a private arsenal and a super truck. Heroes rarely get it so good in these tales. Not the best film, but fun with friends.
August 9, 2014
Simply for the sound track !
½ July 5, 2014
(62%)
A better than expected 1980's mid-budget action movie. Gary Busey really is more than good in this, as he is a decent actor that could and should have been a much bigger star. The movie is as simple as milk and cornflakes, but very watchable throughout, and the really silly elements (the super high-tech, James Bond style pick-up truck being the best) make the movie even more fun to watch, despite the tragic and quite dark things that happen on screen. Overall this is a largely forgotten little gem that's worth tracking down.
April 10, 2014
If you like cheesy 80's action flicks like Rambo, Death Wish 3 or anything made by the Cannon Group, chances are that you're going to like this too.
January 26, 2014
Solid vengeance film with wrongfully imprisoned Busey returning home to be hassled by drug-running bikers and a corrupt sheriff. Inclusion of the title song--the second time used in a hit feature film--and a rousing Bingo-hall call to action speech ensures a feelgood experience. Busey and Kotto raise this one a notch above.
½ October 6, 2013
A Vietnam vet, falsely imprisoned, returns to his home town, finds it overrun with corrupt law officials and drug runners riding motorbikes. His wife is killed and he avenges her death with complete disregard for the child he is about to make parent-less. You've seen it 100 times before, but this time it stars Gary Busey. Enjoy. Actually it also stars Yaphet Kotto, which is a plus. It's not the worst.
½ October 27, 2012
Out of prison for a crime he didn't commit, a man returns home and seeks vengenace on a biker gang (another one led by Will Smith) after his home is murderously violated. Hit Survivor song of the same title proves a winner again in film.
June 25, 2012
I wanted more from this I really did, it's a good old 80s flick back when the brilliant Busey wasn't a joke and it's a revenge movie which are among my favourite films but it was pretty hammy in places.

It does use the awesome song (a bit too much) and like I said Busey was cool but to be honest his home was raided by bikers who killed his wife in front of his infant daughter who in turn became somewhat catatonic, he didn't actually seem that angry. If this was done today it'd be a bloodbath movie, yeah he kills a few of them but damn surely you'd be angrier than he was! There wasn't even a scene where he broke down or cried etc it was pretty emotionless. Maybe that was the point, he was an ex con and a Vietnam vet so maybe he'd become a bit jaded I don't know but seriously you'd be angrier. I was hoping to see more of his Tony Montana style cell mate but sadly we on;y see him at the start.
½ January 22, 2012
Pretty fun, if very, very predictable. Pre-accident Busey is solid, and William Smith is slimy with a weird hair thing (half a mohawk on the back of his head). Produced by Scotti Brothers, so Eye Of The Tiger is on the soundtrack three times. Worth a watch if you want a unspectacular but entertaining 80's actioner.
½ December 30, 2011
Why would you take a song that peaked 4 years earlier in a franchise film, derive your title from it & use it as your own theme is beyond me? I love that Survivor song. It's fucking classic but it's way out of place in this movie..maybe not because there's hardly an original idea in this filme. I think it's sorta ironic that this stars William Smith as the heavy because he made these type of movies famous in the drive-in circuit in the 70s. Those are a lot better but this one grows on you after a while. You really need to stick w/ it though. Probably about the point & time when Gary Busey slathers a stick of dynamite w/ vaseline & shoves it up some guys ass. Sorta gets it's outlandish bearings about that point & time. Worth checking out for fans of Gary Busey, Yaphet Kotto & of course the always great William Smith
½ November 10, 2011
The Scotti Brothers had a mediocre record label that hit it big when the group Survivor recorded the smash hit single for "Rocky 3". Never the ones to let anything die peacefully, they once again recycled the song and the title a few years later with the film "Eye of the Tiger", a poor man's excuse for a revenge thriller. This is by-the-numbers in every way, with a lackluster lead performance by Gary Busey. He makes much better bad guy than he does a hero, as he proved in the original "Lethal Weapon".
But this film's failure doesn't rest solely on his shoulders as everything about this reeks of blandness. The script is weak, as are all of the characters. In order for any action movie to be successful, it needs a good villain, and once again this forgettable flick drops the ball. The biker gang here, led by a duller-than-usual William Smith is more laughable than menacing. Why they chose to terrorize this vacant wasteland of a town is a complete mystery. Busey doesn't even really seem to mind when they murder his wife, even going as far as to hit on the nurse in the hospital right after her death.
And despite the film's lack of originality, it does feature some odd and laughably bad murder scenes, such as the death by overdose and the infamous dynamite stick up the ass. If only the screenwriters had that much imagination with the rest of "Eye of the Tiger". That badass truck might have given K.I.T.T. an inferiority complex back in the day, but today, it's just as silly as everything else in this lame revenge flick.
½ July 29, 2011
"Umm ... what was I watching?" There was so much cut from the film, it was a train wreck. The acting was pretty decent but this film went nowhere.
February 15, 2011
Don't fuck with Gary Busey
October 2, 2010
most the movie i like 2 watch
½ August 14, 2010
Pretty lame biker flick that was kind of an A-Team version of a good biker film. It's only worth watching if you're a fan of one of the may character actors featured in film, who include William Smith (my favorite), Gary Busey, Seymour Cassel, Yaphet Kotto, Thomas Rosales Jr., Charles Hallahan, and many others.
January 26, 2010
Nothing spectacular, normal story of innocent man released from prison and despised by local authority. Who of course are corrupt, then he destroys the bad guys though losing most of his family.
terris85017
January 23, 2010
(1996 Director: Richard C. Sarafian) This is on TV tonight.
½ December 27, 2009
i just got done watching this movie and i will never get back the time i wasted watching this awful cliche of a movie.
this movie was so awful it's funny. i wish i could give it a negative star
½ December 5, 2009
Never scratch dry shit

Buck Matthews has recently been released from jail and returned to his home town. Buck has no further ambition than to live with his wife, raise his daughter, and work a simple job that allows him to make ends meet. Buck quickly discovers that the small town has big city problems including drug trafficking and biker gangs. The problem lands on his front door when his wife is killed and his daughter is hospitalized by the bikers. Buck will seek revenge on those responsible for ruining his family.

?I know I look sharp.?

Richard Sarafian, director of Street Justice, The Next Man, A Killing Affair, Gangster Wars, The African Queen, Sunburn, and Andy, delivers Eye of the Tiger. The storyline for this picture is a bit uninventive and on par with subpar action films from the 80s. Sarafian seemed to rely more on the popular 80s songs to make this film work rather than having a reliable premise. Gary Busey delivered his role well, but it wasn?t enough to make the film work.

?You?re already dead.?

Eye of the Tiger aired on the Extreme Action Channel this morning and I decided to watch this since I had never heard of it and Gary Busey was pretty bad ass in the 80s (Lethal Weapon). However, the film turned out to be as cheesy as the title (like most things from the 80s). Nevertheless, I recommend skipping this film even if you are an action genre junky like me.

?Where do you go to surrender??

Grade: D