Eyeball (Gatti rossi in un labirinto di vetro)(The Secret Killer) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eyeball (Gatti rossi in un labirinto di vetro)(The Secret Killer) Reviews

½ May 9, 2016
A nice giallo filmed in Barcelona...
March 31, 2012
Certainly one of the better underground giallos out there. Most of the time the pace of these films doesn't move all that fast. They tend to crawl but this one just flat out runs. There's a point in the middle when things slow down, but overall, it had a terrific pace to it. It's also to see a giallo where nearly all of the plot threads are tied up and seem to make sense. The performances aren't spectacular and the music isn't very good, but the pace of the entire thing makes up for all of its flaws. There isn't a high amount of gore or really murders that stand out, but I liked it quite a bit. It's also nice to see American actors instead of all Italians for a change, too.
½ September 15, 2011
Just about my favourite kind of film - Carry On Abroad meets proto-slasher movie! Great locations - the rest of it is just completely ridiculous in the best possible way. My favourite line when one of the witnesses is describing seeing the killer escape is definitely: "This person looked like a cat - a big red, kinda crimson cat!" MEOW!
FilmFanatik
August 23, 2011
May 8, 2011
Typical sleazier than sleaze Umberto Lenzi Giallo. The camera at times is a literal voyeuristic eye that pervs over some of the pretty young teens having showers and what have you before they get bumped off and eye gauged out. I must say the final big reveal is impressive as is the reason behind these eye obsessed killings. But besides the final 10 minutes it offers little in anything else to make it stand out from all the classics in the sub-genre. Still i feel its a worthwhile watch for fans of Giallo.
October 3, 2010
Even though Eyeball is a much cooler title I watched this as Secrete Killer which is pretty appropriate considering the herrings are redder then the killers rain slicker. While on a bus tour of Spain someone is killing & plucking an eyeball out of those on the tour. Who the hell could it be? W/ most giallos they give you false clues so you don't know the killer is but this one drives it home so much it becomes inane. I didn't bother to try to guess & by the end I didn't care. It should have played to it's stronger suites & had more eyeball gauging & exploited it's Spanish local. Most of all more eyeball trauma (that lesbian didn't even get hers snatched out)..Umberto Lenzi has made much better films but he has made worse
May 12, 2010
Amazing and rare giallo!!!!!
½ June 21, 2009
Before I watched this film, all I really knew about it was that it had played on a double bill with Suspiria back when it was first released here in the states. However, this is no Suspiria. What it is, however, is a competent giallo with just enough mystery and suspense to keep you entertained even as the poorly executed murder scenes fail to do so. Now about those murder scenes - why is it that so many of these low-budget italian horrors from the 70s and 80s skimp on the special make-up effects? Just as it was with Anthropophagous, this one just cuts to a shot of the knife going towards the victim, then another shot of the victim with some blood on their face and an eye missing. It's just lazy and inexcusable considering what guys like Bava and Fulci did on similarly meager budgets.
The story is not particularly good but the mystery is well sustained, and there are enough creepy scenes littered throughout (such as a ride through a funhouse with Suspiria-like gel lighting, and the hero finding some creepy clues in a hotel room supposedly checked out to his wife) to keep your attention. The resolution is a bit lackluster, and I had already begun to suspect who the killer was, but it's still a fun movie. The score by Bruno Nicolai, as you'd expect, is exceptional, and I still find myself humming the main theme.
As with the last giallo I watched, it's no masterpiece, but you could certainly do a lot worse. Such as Black Demons from the same director....
John2223
December 21, 2008
This movie was part of ¨Quentin Tarantino's Grindhouse Festival¨.
Not the best giallo movie out there but still manages to play with brain and keep you glued to the seat from start to end.
If you're a giallo fan, then this is a must see at least once.