Eyes Wide Open (Einaym Pkuhot) Reviews

• Jan 15, 2018

Tenuous And Beautiful In Its Sadness

Tenuous And Beautiful In Its Sadness

• Jun 10, 2017

A profoundly sullen and pensive dramatisation of the hypocrisy of hegemonic masculinity and its frailty in a strictly Orthodox Jewish community.

• Nov 09, 2014

This films says a lot when it says nothing at all.

This films says a lot when it says nothing at all.

• Aug 31, 2014

Historia con profundo sentido. Un dialogo entre la naturaleza humana, el amor y el fundamentalismo religioso que aún existe en este siglo.

• Mar 08, 2014

A powerful film about how the society can kill an individual. It's about unacceptable love in a strictly religious community without a happy ending. What made it especially interesting was Israel and the traditions and rituals. I'm not saying I understood everything, but it was a pleasure to watch it, culturally speaking as well.

• Nov 27, 2013

La version Judia de Broke Back Mountain. Una increible historia, la prueba del amor en contra de la religion y las costumbres milenaria. Atrevida y rompedora.

• Jun 18, 2013

fantastic, beautifully shot, and magnificently underplayed story of homosexual love in Jerusalem. Aaron is living a entirely repressed life of duty, duty to God, duty to community, duty to family when he takes in a student and they fall hopelessly in love. At first Aaron says "well,we'll just overcome it" as god has given him the test, but his resolve soon slips and the attraction turns physical. the lack of dialogue in the film is never noticeable as the scenes are so well painted with Jewish life, Jewish customs and the horribly depressing day to day sights of the Jerusalem corner they are living in. when the dialogue does come it's never unimportant and the crescendo for me, and where I broke down was when Aaron snaps and shouts at the Rabbi, "I was DEAD before I met him!" which really sums it up--and of course (being a writer of gay romance and fiction set in historical times) I knew it was all going to end badly, and I'm afraid it does. anyone with an interest in gay themes should watch this--and then again, everyone should watch it because it's masterful.

• Apr 23, 2013

Honest, sincere and well-acted.

Honest, sincere and well-acted.

• Mar 29, 2013

Very good flick... loved how main character thought out all his decisions... and music was great also!

Daniel D Super Reviewer
    Jan 21, 2013

Eyes Wide Open is my official introduction to Israeli cinema and I must say it's a weak start. While the film which is a directorial debut is well organized, it's to pessimistic. I felt like I was a watching a holocaust movie for Gods sake. The opening scene showed two depressing men in a gloomy raining setting, the whole film continued like that. It was a drama queen, and not a particularly entertaining one. As a drama it tried to hard to make the audience depressed, and based on the critical reception it worked, I didn't suck into it though.