Vynález zkázy (The Fabulous World of Jules Verne)(A Deadly Invention) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vynález zkázy (The Fabulous World of Jules Verne)(A Deadly Invention) Reviews

Harlequin68
½ August 31, 2014
On the way to visit his friend Professor Roch(Arnost Navratil) and assist him on a new invention, Simon Hart(Lubor Tokos) enjoys his journey while taking note of all the new wonders of technology. Since that new invention is a deadly new explosive, it should come as no surprise that the two men are kidnapped by the nefarious Count Artigas(Miroslav Holub) and taken to a secret island.

"The Fabulous World of Jules Verne" is an entertaining film that is partially animated(through the wonders of 'Mysti-Mation!). This process works for the most part, even though the underwater scenes are a little underwhelming. Even then, the movie conveys as well as possible the rapidly changing world that Verne was experiencing on a daily basis in the 19th century. At the same time, it also anticipates what would come to be known as steampunk.
½ February 5, 2014
Notable for its unique animation techniques.
March 24, 2013
A brilliant and often times seamless stylistic mix of live action, traditional animation, and stop motion. A Deadly Invention truly does capture the world of Jules Verne.
½ March 21, 2011
Incredibly beautiful, layered mix of stop-motion, live action and multiple exposure in wide, panoramic sets to recreate the style of period illustratiion. The Deadly or Diabolical Invention is a more accurate title than the original US marketing, as the subtitled version now available reflects the real character and concerns of the work more accurately. This is not as humorous or surreal as some of the other Zeman I have seen - Na komete (On the Comet), Krabat/The Sorcerer's Apprentice or the wild Baron Prasil/Munchhausen adaptation. But it is a lot of fun, and constantly amazes in shot after shot.
November 16, 2010
I'll never forget watching this film at the ripe old age of 10 at the local drive in with my grandma and aunt. This was my favorite author with his own really cool movie. Boy that was a long time ago. I have a VHS tape of this film, and would like to buy a DVD of it, but the quality of all the DVD's I seen are no better than the tape I do have.

It was a masterpiece of animation/live action created in a format called "Mystimation". The look of this film was intended to be in the same idea as the pen and ink drawings that were present in some versions of Vern's works. I loved it, and I watch it from time to time for the fond memories of a time when your imagination was the special effects of the day. Films the like of this one are gone forever and will never return. The story told by the film isn't as important as the time and place it was viewed. I hope all you Scifi movie folks get to see this treasure at least once.
August 18, 2010
yep. its a mechanic visual masterpiece.. liked the machinas and underwater sword fight adventures, all made within a beautiful and sort of epic montage.
liked the music as a protosynthetizer punkindustrialnoise.. yea
½ June 5, 2010
i love the visual part of this film, specially the scenes underwater. long live the mysti-mation tecnique!! using engravings and turning them into motion pictures makes everything seem magic and eerie, a world you want to live in. at times not the most thrilling of plots, but i can't wait to see the rest of his filmography.
½ April 4, 2010
A lot of fun visually. Karel Zeman's originality and ingenuity shine through. This film offers little more than a light treat for the eyes, but maybe that's enough.
January 25, 2010
okouzlujici klasika karla zemana
August 17, 2008
Skoda preskoda, ze jsme tnkrat byli ve vychodnim bloku, jnak by Zeman strcil Spielberka do kapsy.
April 1, 2008
Actually this is a very old movie with traditional way of presentation animation. Looks funny but u can see a lot of creative used in this film when u imagine the time the Czech made this film. Overall Czech's style of films that I watched so far are in pretty dark mood. Still it's entertaining.
January 2, 2008
saw clips of this and it looks brilliant- can't wait to see the whole film
½ December 11, 2007
Another typical Zeman film and even though in black and white, it is still entertaining and visually very interesting.