The Face of Another (I Have a Stranger's Face) (Tanin no kao) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Face of Another (I Have a Stranger's Face) (Tanin no kao) Reviews

½ January 18, 2011
The world needs more Teshigahara on DVD.
flixsterman
December 5, 2010
This is a film that crawls around inside your head long after the credits have rolled and the lights have come back on. A person could spend hours analyzing and dissecting the symbolism and social commentary.
November 28, 2010
<... 1/2河 (R)?>?? (R) 1/2"?? 1/4 1/4?<? (R)人??? (R), 1/4??,"?????? (R)?
August 13, 2010
Hiroshi Teshigahara's "Face of Another" is a surrealistic masterpiece. Delving deep into the mind of an outwardly scarred man, the film discovers that the true nature of disfigurements exist not simply on a surface level, but are buried deep with the man himself. An amazing film from one of the great directors of Japanese cinema.
ElCochran90
July 29, 2010
Questions arise endlessly and circle around one topic: what is the definition of self-perception? Its implications unleash an indefinite number of existential possibilities. Teshigahara's last experimental offering is an unparalleled work of art, regarded by many to be "pretentious" in its artsy imagery. Oh, people, if you could just wake up, open your eyes and see the film as the brilliant satire it is. "A satire of what", I hear you say? This treats the individual's absolutely atrocious dependence towards a visual image and a physical appearance to display personality and behavioral patterns in order to be "unique". This statement, however, gives birth to two ironic, factual contradictions:

1) We are all unique by definition, regardless of your beliefs.
2) Your personality and conducts have already been influenced, if not by media and stereotyping, thanks to your surrounding societal environment.

Hence, this is a cinematic treasure of pure genius and audacity.

99/100
July 16, 2010
A difficult film to analyze and extrapolate, though it still remains, with Tatsuya Nakadai's haunting performance and the brilliant combination of Teshigahara's eerie visuals and Takemitsu's unorthodox musical score, hypnotic, thought-provoking science-fiction existentialism.
July 6, 2010
NEMAN POJMA. Prica o ljudskin maskama, otudenju, identitetu i odnosima. Izmisani zanrovi art, SF, fantasy, psiholoska drama, sve. Dug. Spor. Tezak. Cudan. Iscrpljujuc. Kafkast. Prepun artsy detalja, simbola, perceptivnih varki. Neobicni kadrovi, ogledala koja stvaraju konfuziju, miljun utjecaja, La Jetee momenti - crno bile slike, Bergmanoliko, nenormalno dobar interijer ordinacije - ka Wans lebdece police za patike. Japan koji izgleda ka da je jedna od Europskih zemalja tj. Japanjemacka, misanje istoka i zapada. Dvi paralelne price - Marisol + Vanilla sky vezane jedino temama i identicnim dogadanjima. Dupliciranje momenata, ponavljanje scena. Kraj.
sanjurosamurai
½ August 8, 2009
what a brilliant film. entrenched in philosophy, the dialogue in the film and the films entire concept were incredibly profound and thought provoking. nakadai put in a great performance as always and the images produced through some great cinematography were perfect for creating just the right feel for the subject matter. a phenomenal film.
July 5, 2009
After being horrifically disfigured in a lab accident, a scientist dons a realistic looking facial mask with some unexpected consequences. Much like the other Teshigahara film I've seen, "Woman in the Dunes", this one has haunting quality to it with some beautilful imagery interspersed with shocking, grotesque elements. The film also features great performances and masterful direction. It's pure cinema.
½ June 25, 2009
Is your face what gives you identity? If you had no face, would you be nobody? If you had the face of another, would you become someone else? What could you get away with? This bizarre, absurd film from the avant-garde Teshigahara asks some wild questions with striking imagery.
½ June 23, 2009
interesting kafkaesque premise. It's never good though for a film to have heavyhanded conversations about its ideas and themes instead of illustrating them.
DrStrangeblog
June 15, 2009
This movie is rather...strange. Quite strange. Hard to categorize - part psychodrama, part thriller, part new wave, and not really any of those. Moves slowly but I was kept occupied (I kept thinking the psychiatrist/maskmaker had an ulterior motive), but an unrelated sideplot involving a scarred woman seemed repetitive of the main story and therefore rather pointless. Some diverting avant-garde sets and non-sequiturs (woman's bed flying through the city??) kept things edgy. A commendable experiment from '60s Japanese cinema.
½ May 17, 2009
This is way beyond its time! I highly recommend it. A visual masterpiece.
Mr Awesome
½ May 1, 2009
A man with a burned face teeters on the brink of madness, torturing himself and his wife with his daily obsessions over appearance and how people are looking at him. He goes to his psychiatrist friend who also happens to be an expert in prosthetics, and is given a lifelike mask to wear, only so the Doctor can observe and study his reaction to the mask. Soon, the man has an entirely new outlook on life, but the doctor wonders if it's the man or the mask that's living this way. There's quite a surrealistic element to this film, especially with the subplot involving a disfigured girl, suicides, and Nagasaki. Unfortunately, these surrealistic elements tend to sidetrack the main narrative rather than enhance it. And while the direction is sometimes amazing, it just as often gets lost in poor editing decisions. There are scenes that have no business being in the movie or being as long as they are, and it slows the story down to a halt. I'm also not quite sure what conclusion the film intends to lead me to. I'm not sure the filmmakers knew what conclusion they were leading me to either. Having said this, I can't deny the film has a certain charisma that draws you in, and the performances by the lead actors are really quite good. In any event, I'd trade a thousand Hannah Montana films for just one film like this. A for effort.
½ May 1, 2009
½ April 30, 2009
½ April 5, 2009
Visually rich and intriguing meditation on identity and urban alienation.
½ March 4, 2009
A smart and beautiful work by our Japanese friend. This film is, ironically, a little to "in your face" and obvious though. Also, the subplot feels awkward and the ending to it is a total wtf moment.
January 19, 2009
Good story and good direction but the movie is a bit closed and hard to feel.