Fagbug - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fagbug Reviews

December 6, 2012
Inspiring! One of the best road trip movies ever!
September 10, 2012
At the beginning I really liked what was going on.. ticked off that insurance wouldn't fix it as it was drivable, and security didn't want it parked anywhere.. I understood the dilemma. I was ticked that it wasn't considered a "hate crime".. I'm sorry.. but if it was a racist slur it would have been.. so.. what is the difference?

Then the issues.. I get the local events.. i get the web site.. wonderful way to bring everything to light.. show that it still happens.. then someone uses a razor blade to clean it off for her.. she immediately spray paints it back on.. and you lost me. It is no longer real.. no longer authentic.. now it is publicity for the sake of publicity. The further I watched the more irate I became.. at first just simply being there got reactions.. but then she started trolling for them.. trying to force them.. I think a documentary about hate crimes in general would be better.. she starts talking about some people who were killed in hate crimes.. and honestly, the way it comes across on camera.. she sees what happened to her car as equal to that.. it isn't. I myself have been the victim of one.. someone, upon seeing my stickers when leaving a Witches meetup (I have both Pagan and LGBT stickers) rammed into my car as I was in it (they backed up, angled it towards my door and slammed the gas pedal.. no chance it was accidental).. had they managed to get more speed I would have been seriously injured.. They took off immediately and never got caught.. I got it fixed and let it go.. There are far worse things that could have happened. I understand teaching tolerance, but that has to go both ways.. trolling for reactions is intolerance of it's own.
August 30, 2012
Very good movie! Very courageous lady! Worth watching!!!
December 25, 2011
Talk about activism on wheels! This is a prime example of how to turn a negative into a positive by bringing awareness to the public about homophobia and hatred against the GLBT community. Erin Davies was a graduate student at a New York college when one day she found her VW Beetle spray painted with the words fag and UR gay on both sides of her beloved car. In response, she put her studies on hold and embarked upon a video-documented, 55,000 mile journey through 41 U.S. states, during which she interviewed hundreds of people and spoke out against hate crimes. Davies received sponsorship from Volkswagen Group of America and the Sundance Film Festival to use for gas money, car expenses, and the film which in my personal opinion was very good! It brought fond memories of the road trip I made across 11 states and 21 cities. Recommended!
November 22, 2011
Good movie, definitely inspiring. Stats at the end are interesting. cool she turned a negative into a positive.
½ July 24, 2011
While it's not the best made documentary, Fagbug is a heartfelt story of one woman's journey for civil rights. After her car was vandalized one night Erin Davies decided to keep the word fag on her VW Bug as a scarlet letter of sorts. She then hit the road across American in efforts to spread awareness of homophobia and hate crime still very much alive today.
January 3, 2011
Interesting story about one woman's courageous and sometimes solitary activism, it is certainly worth watching for activists. Just don't expect any easy answers at the end.
½ September 23, 2010
The challenge with this documentary is that it isn't that interesting. We see the results of the vandalized auto, everyone agreed it is a shame, and Erin drives across the United States.