Failan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Failan Reviews

July 27, 2015
This is probably in my top 10 fav list.
September 13, 2014
I think I've unintentionally discovered a new subgenre of film in these beautiful tragedies coming out of Korea. There's something very similar about them in that they're born out of the problem of life in poverty. I don't speak the language so I can never remember the titles, but I do remember the English titles of a couple that I've seen recently. They are Breathless and The Yellow Sea, the former is especially recommended.
August 12, 2014
Most likely the greatest romance movie of all time. Amazing writing and superb acting, especially by Choi Min-sik, make this film a true work of art and emotional journey.
June 16, 2014
Choi Minsik delivers a very believable performance as Kang, an aging kkangpae (mafia) right-hand in desperate need of a way out of untimely and unfortunate circumstances beset by his superior. Incidentally, Kang marries a Chinese migrant to grant her residency status, but it proves to be a sham.

This movie is about redemption, but also the permanency of past outcomes as they relate to the present.

This movie will make you cry, but Choi also delivers some painfully hilarious fight scenes.
½ September 1, 2013
Failan is a movie about romance, but without any romance in it. Its about low level gangster Kang, who runs a video shop and doesn't have a lot of ambition. He witnesses his boss kill a rival gang leader, and is asked to take the blame. In return, he will get enough money for a boat so he can go fishing in his hometown after serving his sentence.

The police arrive at his door, and it turns out his wife is dead. Failan is a Chinese immigrant who was seeking her aunt, but she moved away. Failan's parents passed away, and she has no one left. Someone sets up Kang and Failan to be married, as simply a marriage of convenience.

Through flashbacks, we get to see how the innocent and simple Failan lived. Even though Kang has never even met her, she worships and admires him with a small picture. She thinks the world of him, despite the fact that he doesn't give a shit about her.

As he travels to where she lived and worked, he realized how he has affected her life and how he could have been there for her to make her illness a bit more bearable.

Cecilia Chung gives a masterful performance, as the quiet and simple Failan. She is not without merit, as a clever move on her part allows her to avoid a job at a seedy night club. She bites her own cheek in the washroom and pretend to be ill, so she gets a better job as a laundromat instead.

Relying on the sentimental letters and flashbacks, Failan is a sad tragic drama about perspective. The acting from Chung alone makes it worth a viewing.
May 26, 2013
"Everyone here is so kind, but you are the kindest of all". Too sad.
March 2, 2013
A sad movie about romance in meaningless lives, without any romance.
January 9, 2013
The greatest movie I've ever watched.
September 7, 2012
A very tragic story that brought tears to my eyes.
July 27, 2012
An intimate tale that will pull at the heart-strings of anyone..!!
½ June 3, 2012
Non è il mio genere, ma è ben scritto, diretto e recitato
May 5, 2012
A sad tale of two downtrodden souls from different worlds that almost , but are not quite able to find happiness together. Great film.
½ December 29, 2011
Miserable lives tell a lovely tale of romance. A tear jerker, almost.
October 22, 2011
Superb. A hidden gem. It's a shame such films remain unknown among masses.
September 24, 2011
Min-sik Choi and Cheung are great, but this is a poor blend of two completely opposing genres. It takes forty minutes to set up the crime part, and then when the romantic plot starts it is completely disjointed from the rest of the story.
June 20, 2011
such a sad movie! brought tears to my eyes
½ January 8, 2011
Takes a while for it to develop, but still good.