Fake Identity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fake Identity Reviews

May 17, 2013
Double Identity (Dennis Dimster, 2009)

Val Kilmer was once one of Hollywood's most bankable names, appearing in what seemed to be every blockbuster that came out of Hollywood in the late eighties and early nineties, from Top Gun to The Princess Bride to Tombstone and everything in between. But somewhere along the way, something happened, and Kilmer started taking roles that are, shall we say, a little less Hollywood and a little more, well, Moscow Zero and The Thaw and Double Identity. And I will admit, I defended the middle of those.

Plot: Kilmer plays an American doctor who's part of a Doctors Without Borders-style organization, going wherever his talents are needed. This often takes him behind what was at one point the iron curtain; his travels start getting noticed by certain government forces, and he ends up being misaken for a famous Eastern Bloc spy after getting caught in the middle of a nasty firefight where he helps a beautiful young woman (Coyote Ugly's Izabella Miko) escape a hail of bullets. Cue generic thriller.

To be fair, it's not a bad little film; unlike a number of actors whose career has gone to the dogs, requiring them to take roles like this, Kilmer still has a full set of acting chops, and Miko stands up to him just fine most of the time. One more rewrite with an eye towards originality, or even memorability, would have done this movie an excellent turn. As it stands, though, you will likely have forgotten a great deal about it within ten minutes of it ending. There is nothing of substance here, and that is to the movie's great detriment. **
May 27, 2012
Not bad
Spy-movie
Diamonts
I'm not going to remember this one i gues !
Minus 1,5 star ....this was the same as Double Identity !
January 7, 2012
Pretty good & suspenseful with a beneficial musical score, but there are a few plot holes, especially at the end. As a result, it ends up feeling like a waste of time as viewers wonder "Who is so-n-so?" and "Why'd that happen?" You know, not things you want to be asking in the last five minutes of a film, as it ends without answering these important questions. We expected more from Val. It's like they ran out of money and so chopped off the tying of loose ends.
½ January 5, 2012
fuck you... hehehehe :p
December 7, 2011
Nicholas Pinter (Val Kilmer) is a doctor working in Bulgaria for the Doctors Beyond Borders services. He meets the beautiful Katherine (Izabella Miko) outside of a restaurant on the way to help a friend of his, and his whole world changes. Mistaken for a man named John Charter, Pinter must now uncover the truth in order to save not just himself, but also Katherine.

An average film, but certainly not a bad one. There was enough of a plot there to hold my interest, and just enough cheese to keep me laughing. Probably one of my least favourite Kilmerfilms, though. Where Kilmer generally delivers a knock-out performance, he instead looks as though he is going through the motions (who can blame him). One of my favourite scenes - thought it was brilliantly done - was during Pinter's escape from his captives in the forest. He tries unsuccessfully to knock one of them out with a large rock. The look of surprise and confusion on his face when he realises he hasn't quite succeeded is pure gold. Thanks for keeping it entertaining, Kilmer! :)
½ November 16, 2011
Why Val? Why do you keep going for these roles? Following the path of Wesley Snipes, Steven Seagel, and Cuba Gooding Jr. is not where you want to go. You have the talent and you still show it off in these movies. YOU'RE FUCKING DOC HOLIDAY. YOU WERE IN HEAT!!!!!! Call Michael Mann or Oliver Stone. The story is confusing and you lose interest. I actually ended up forgeting some of the major plot points from the beginning of the movie. They were brought up half way later and I was like "Wait what are they talking about? Oh yeah that guy was killed" Just stay away from it.
July 16, 2011
Val Kilmer Vs Bulgarian Mafia
March 27, 2011
Watched on Showtime under the name 'Double Identity' ... felt like a 90s movie if you looked at the cell phones. Different twist on the spy genre.
½ January 26, 2011
Film sans rythme avec un Val Kilmer en surpoid qui se fait doubler pour courrir. Affligeant. ArrĂȘte au bout de 37 min.
December 19, 2010
Boring, predictable and not fun at all...
December 7, 2010
Pretty good film, but sometimes hard to follow
½ November 29, 2010
dont remember the end fell asleep
November 5, 2010
Crap Performances Mixed With A Lame Arse Story That I Swear I've Seen Done Better Before By Other Leading Actors I Can't Think Of Right Now.
xxdebxx
½ November 1, 2010
Kilmer plays an American doctor working in Chechnya who becomes mistaken for a secret agent/diamond dealer by the Russian mob. Izabella Miko is the beautiful femme fatale, working both for a British group seeking to control a diamond cartel, and the Bulgarian/Czech people who also want control of the same. The girl bumps into Kilmer, while running from being captured; kiss to shake off her dangerous assailants and that begins a love affair/ crime thriller. Nice pace and the plot twists and turns keep us guessing about each of the characters throughout the film.
½ August 24, 2010
½ August 12, 2010
This film was surprisingly engaging given what it was. Kilmer performs solidly in this film.
½ August 7, 2010
Val Kilmer looks really fat
½ August 5, 2010
Not worth your money, but not so terrible either!
August 4, 2010
Trapped Behind Borders, Caught Between Lies.