Fake It So Real - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fake It So Real Reviews

January 19, 2013
Eberts 2012 list and Lincolnton NC
½ May 24, 2012
Probably the most honest documentary I've seen about wrestling or in general.

Director Robert Greene makes no assumptions about his subjects. There's no agenda here and there's no opinion being forced down your throat. Greene simply allows the story to unfold and allows the viewer to formulate an opinion on the very strange, but very real world of independent pro wrestling.

The viewer who isn't already at least somewhat familiar with the inner-workings of professional wrestling may have a bit of trouble keeping up or identifying with the subjects. Furthermore, those who aren't from a blue-collar background may also have difficulty. This is because Greene doesn't go to great lengths to explain things to the viewer. It is a documentary, not an educational film.

And that may be it's only drawback. The guts of the film *may* not be easily accessible to everyone, but then again, I'm not sure if it was intended to be.

If you're a fan of rasslin', or once were, this is a must see.

If you already have an opinion that's negative, you may not want to bother.

Finally, get ready for a ride when it comes to the cinematography. During the actual sequences that take place in the ring, you will *feel* the clashing of flesh and bone in your gut. It's an honest representation of the skeleton jarring life of a wrestler in the ring.
January 15, 2012
This could be fun :)
January 15, 2012
A Seba Reale le gustarķa ver esto yo creo
½ July 30, 2011
I wanted to like this movie but I didn't come away feeling like I learned anything about indie pro wrestling or any of these guys. In only a week's time, they didn't reveal much of themselves, and the film failed to make any exploration of what pro-wrestling means either. There were so many directions it could have gone it, but I left feeling the same way I do after watching a pro-wrestling match, like I watched a soap opera I wasn't interested in that didn't reveal anything of substance about any of the characters. I would have enjoyed seeing a real exploration of this community, something about the dichotomy between the flamboyancy of the characters created and the use of homophobic language, or a more in depth following of a few specific characters. But the way it is now didn't work for me at all. I'm especially disappoint to say this knowing that all the featured guys seemed really awesome and sweet in person. They deserve something that feels more "real".