Gram Parsons: Fallen Angel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gram Parsons: Fallen Angel Reviews

½ July 16, 2016
another terrific musical portrait doc
BBC led, with one of those engaging English woman narrators, its a swell mix of talking heads, footage and music...not the best nor most adventurous, but very straight forward and engaging
surely someone deserving of a doc worth a look or two
and
looking now at a Gram Parsons doc! CoonDog Snively, now that is a fucken name!!!!
if ya like music docs and human portraits, this one is worth ur time, fore or back ground viewing
great music of course, incl snippets of who inspired Parsons and much more
July 19, 2010
Fine documentary. Recommended.
January 19, 2010
A moving documentary about one of the most underrated figures in country and rock.
May 12, 2009
I knew the Gram Parsons story was tragic. Yet I had no idea how tragic and brilliant his life was. Died at 26 in a motel near Joshua Tree, one of his favorite places. Yes, I think the Parsons and Snively's were a cursed family, if you believe is such a thing.

Great, long interviews with Keith Richards. And he wasn't even mumbling.

Just don't watched this right after watching the Reader!
October 21, 2008
to think i thought i knew so much about the godfather of country rock, boy was i wrong. did you know gram parsons lacked self discipline, was a trust fund baby, & attended Harvard? that is just a small portion of what you will learn in this excellent documentary featuring rare performance clips & interviews with his widow, Chris Hillman, Dwight Yoakam, Emmylou Harris, Keith Richards, Phil Kaufman, & Bernie Leadon among others. The low point was Bernie Leadon's holding onto years of resentment which is still ever present some 30 years later. He needs to get over it & move on. After all, if it weren't for Parsons, he might not of become a member of the Eagles. A must see for all fans of Americana, Southern Rock, & country.
October 14, 2008
Told through interviews with the people who knew him best. Gives cool insight into who he was and why he was. Fascinating look at the whole late 60's country rock scene. Keith Richards, Altamont, Byrds and burnt Burritos.
September 30, 2008
Excellent telling of a largely unknown story. I wish there had been more complete footage of some of his performances. Nevertheless, a movie well worth seeing.
July 20, 2008
Tragic story of a talented musician. Makes you wonder what music today would be like had he been around more than 26 short years. I was sad all day after I watched this. I was reminded of how I got sad after watching "La Bamba" as a kid.
July 16, 2008
A beautiful tribute to this musical genius, told by the people who knew him. Parsons himself feels mostly missing from the film -- there's very little footage or audio of him besides the music -- but maybe that's fitting.
½ June 29, 2008
Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Stones, Altamont, Emmylou Harris--what an impact Parsons had in such a short time. If you like Wilco, Calexico, any "alt-country" you need to listen to his music. But I knew nothing of his tragic life story. It could've come across as "privileged kid indulges too much after finding success" but the filmmakers dig deeper. Young German super-fan Hennig gets all sides of the story with help from rocker/journalist Sid Griffin. And there's even a twist ending.
January 7, 2008
I was in high school in the early 70s and graduated in 73 the year Gram died. It was big news back then. I loved Gram - and saw him perform once when I was 14 with the Flying Burrito Brothers (mostly made up of the Byrds). He was only 26 when he died. I think his death is still highly suspect & ultimate theft and burning of his body was more a cover-up than a pledge to a "friend" . I think though his whole life was tragic on many levels, one critic had said that Tennessee Williams could not have written about his family any better - and that is so; and though sad, not surprising it ended the way it did. I think if he could have survived past his 20s there is no end to what he could have done, but even in a short life he left behind a large contribution of music.