Falling for Grace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Falling for Grace Reviews

September 6, 2013
One line summary: Comedy of errors; needs better acting and a tighter script.
Cinematography: 7/10 Way too much soft focus.

Sound: 7/10 Fine for the English speakers. The incidental music is cloying.

Acting: 5/10 This is a mixed bag, to say the least. BD Wong, Lewis Black, Christine Baranski, Ato Essandoh, Roger Rees, and Margaret Cho were fine. Christine Baranski was the best; her discussion with Andrew Jr about how he had to marry Kay was one of the most genuine moments in the film. On the other hand, Fay Ann Lee, Gale Harold, Stephanie March, and Ken Leung were much less satisfying, with Gale Harold being the absolute worst.

Screenplay: 4/10 There were too many cliches from the romantic comedy field. I have nothing against cliches; even the oldest can be funny if done right. There were only a few recognizable attempts at humor. I found myself thinking that I should be laughing at this, but I did not laugh once.
½ January 5, 2013
wOw, wOw, wOw! it was romantic and meaningful. i like how Grace (Fay Ann Lee) supports her family and Andrew (Gale Harold) likes her n her family although they are no high society family. he sees their love.
April 9, 2012
Good movie but, story line goes too fast. Great movie for Gale Harold fans.
February 28, 2012
This just has no appeal for me.
January 19, 2012
This is supposed to be a retelling of Cinderella- in fact, the main character is apparently named after the Chinese Cinderella. But it just doesn't work. It's not well-rounded enough, it's full of every romantic comedy cliche ever, and there's nothing to keep you interested.
½ July 7, 2011
Another "mistaken identity gone too far" movie. Promotional consideration by Dunkin' Donuts and Coca-Cola. That's all I got from this flick.
June 24, 2011
Not bad for a sappy culture related rom-com. The story goes along with the classic story, girl gets mistaken for famous socialite, goes along with mistaken identity, falls in love with boy, boy finds out girl lied, boy gets mad at girl, girl redeems herself and boy takes girl back for happy ending to movie, the end.
June 4, 2011
Boring. Bleh! Undeveloped characters and a fragmented plot line.
½ May 31, 2011
Sweet. A typical girl meets rich guy Cinderalla story. The main characters were good, but some of the supporting cast were pretty sad. But, as love stories go, this one is certainly pleasant enough.
½ May 9, 2011
the cantonese dialogue is refreshing, and oh so familiar. perfect fob date movie!
May 9, 2011
A highly enjoyable movie! The spoken Cantonese in there gave it a ring of authenticity and familiarity that was both very believable and witty at the same time.
May 9, 2011
Good movie but, story line goes too fast. Great movie for Gale Harold fans.
May 4, 2011
How can you not fall for Gale Harold? I love that Roger Rees was in this movie and that Christine Baranski was Gale's mother. It is a cute movie.
April 26, 2011
It was another stereotyped, cross-cultural, ethnic romance with a tad of class struggle thrown in. American filmmaker Fay Ann Lee did what she can to save this little NYC Chinatown vs. East Coast establishment fairytale. The made-for-television cinematography, editing and background score have all the Hallmark TV series trademark. Its storyline was very superficial. Margaret Cho (Ghost Whisperer), Christine Baranski (The Good Wife) and Ken Leung (Rush Hour; Saw) were much underused as sidekick cameos. What really hurt the film was that there weren't much chemistry or sexual attraction between the gorgeous Ms. Lee as Grace and her prince charming Gale Harold (Brian from Queer As Folks). For these fluffy type of love stories, we've gotta care for these two leads!
½ September 5, 2010
It was cute, I'll give 'em that.
iLeo
½ July 18, 2010
Hilarious movie! Here's a story plot that centralizes upon a Cinderella-like theme that follows the life of Yip Han, or otherwise known as Grace Tang. After wanting to become a princess and fitting into society, Grace not only cares for her parents and brother but also tries to succeed in a career within a thriving business with her best friend, Janie, in tow. She meets a handsome lawyer at a party where attendees assume she's an heiress. She tries to correct the mistake, but later gives up. This leads to a series of events where Grace and Andrew spend more time together, and begin falling in love. Great cast- Fay Ann Lee, Gale Harold, Margaret Cho, Ken Leung, Elizabeth Sung, Clem Cheung, B.D. Wong, Stephanie March, Roger Rees, and Christine Baranski. Definitely worthy!
April 13, 2010
It's very cute! One of your typical romantic comedies, but finally with some Chinese main characters. I've been dying to see this movie for 3 years! I have to say I am happy with it, except for Gale Harold's hair in one of the scenes. Gale is absolutely fantastic! In the deleted scenes on the dvd, there are some cute scenes that I wish weren't cut out.
½ April 8, 2010
Forced performances and pacing as slow as molasses makes this a difficult watch. Not a good sign for a romantic comedy, which should be breezy and fun. The best actor here is Ken Leung from Lost, who is wasted in a small subplot.
March 20, 2010
"Falling for Grace" is an original romantic comedy, with a great cast: Fay Ann Lee & Gale Harold as the romantic couple. What a great way for spending some time in a theater or at home dreaming with a love story like that in our life, and specially if it`s with Gale Harold !
Gale already showed us his great work in several roles but this is one more surprise to us from him.
Gale is versatil enought to make comedy and even so letting us all fall for his charm. Gale Harold is taking another step to stardom and he will be soon rewarded and recognized by his incredible work as an actor.
I believe Fay Ann Lee is a great actress but also one of the emerging directors and we will hear more from her in the future if she wishes to continue her work. Well, at least she is brave and talented enought for that !

Julia