Familiar Ground - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Familiar Ground Reviews

½ October 6, 2013
Je vois du bon cinoche depuis quelque temps.... Ici j'ai ri. Beaucoup. Humour noir efficace. Trame sonore hallucinante. Personnages fascinants..... Histoire d'hiver sur fond fantastique. J'adore.
½ September 3, 2011
This is one of the few films I saw at the LA Film Festival and if it weren't for "Winnie the Pooh" I would say this was the best film I saw. I was happy when it won the award for best narrative feature because it really deserved it. The film follows the lives of a brother and a sister who are a in a bit of rut in their lives. The brother can't seem to get his relationship right and the sister is having marital problems. The viewer gets the sense that the two never spend much time together and aren't very close. It really adds to the film because it makes the second half of the film very enjoyable. The film was very well directed and not a single scene was wasted. Almost ever scene in the movie served a purpose.

I think I liked this a lot because it's my type of film. It's a drama with a nice blend of dead pan humor. There are some hilarious scenes in this movie and those scenes worked well for the movie and kept it from getting too serious. Every actor in this film does a great job carrying the film. It's an actor's film and to see these actors together, especially the brother and sister, was a treat because they all work well together. In the end, I was very happy I got the chance to see this wonderful film because it's a showcase of great independent filmmaking.
August 30, 2011
A quirky, amusing portrait of a sad-sack, non-achiever with a short fuse and an ability to turn everything he touches into mush. So what happens when he meets a man from the future? This is an understated but highly original film which creeps up on you and lingers pleasantly.