The Family Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Family Stone Reviews

December 1, 2015
This film was ridiculous, and not in a good way. So many characters that you never even got to know them beyond their unlike ability and implausible behaviour. The film itself was very inconsistent, was it supposed to be funny or touching? Was it supposed to be focused on Meredith and Everett or the mother? Unfortunately I cared little for either. Definitely not a heart warming holiday movie.
November 28, 2015
Don't waste your time on this movie. Do something useful like clean the kitchen, take out the trash etc.
November 18, 2015
Great cast, part of me felt " WHAT FAMILY ACTS LIKE THIS" But after the initial shock I'd grown fond of the characters especially Ben (Luke Wilson). Sara J. Parker was believably uptight and who Diane Keaton is on her A game. I watch it every year around the holidays. Amy Adams plays a sister you love but thinkiand punching out often!!!
August 22, 2015
The movie never really ever catches a stride and floats around more like an annoying vapor.
½ June 8, 2015
I don't know what we were expected to feel.
½ June 3, 2015
Despite The Family Stone's predictability from the start, its charm is saved by its stellar cast.
May 24, 2015
A funny if predictable rom-com. The ending didn't have enough resolution for me and went a different direction as if the director was saying "it's so predictable you know what happens so I want to put something else in." I definitely enjoyed it though and would recommend it but it doesn't have re-watchability.
May 17, 2015
Definetly a good movie worth checking out. This family film starts out as a comedy and goes to serious in the last half. Rachel McAdams is awesome.
½ May 16, 2015
A pretty good movie....More of a drama than a comedy though. I really didn't think it was all that funny. The first half of the movie is really just kind of awkward, but it all comes together in the 2nd half, and ended up being pretty decent.
May 14, 2015
Fantastic cast and story I love watching it each time it comes on!
May 5, 2015
This movie shows how real life's fantasies are not antithesis. Amazing. 5/5
February 15, 2015
love this movie <3 cry everytime!
February 1, 2015
It's not funny, it's mean spirited, and there's a lot of unlikeable characters.
January 21, 2015
One of my favorite holiday movies :)
January 10, 2015
As some reviewers suggest it is very underrated movie, the cast is awesome! One of my favorites, I wish we had more simple stories like this with good acting.
January 9, 2015
This was terrible on so many levels. So bad I could on stand so much. I only made it to the bar scene.
½ December 27, 2014
Zuerst sind alle Anti-Meredith aber für den anderen Bruder ist sie dann okay? Whatever. Die Cast ist toll, aber diese Tischszene... uuuhhh (Dezember 2014)
---
this swap partner thing between sisters (or brothers) is an arrant nonsense!! but i liked the whole family atmosphere and of course the cast was awesome. i'm a pro meredith even if this dinner scene was truly dreadful. and is diane keaton now always wearing turtleneck? (around 2008, 4 stars)
½ December 26, 2014
This is definitely one of my favourite holiday films! Genuinely heart warming, and exceptional performances from the whole cast truly elevate this potentially saccharine movie to a fantastic 2 hours
½ December 24, 2014
Pretty bad. Formulaic. Bad acting. Poor character development. Cliche. Utterly predicable. Actors did not look like the people they were supposed to be.
½ December 23, 2014
I enjoyed this one, Excellent cast in a touching comedy about an uptight, ultra conservative businesswoman (ice queen) who accompanies her boyfriend to his outgoing and screwy family's annual Christmas celebration. He has plans to propose, she is overwhelmed by the hostile reception.

It was just kind of addictive watching this eccentric (normal) family going about the trials and tribulations of love and life at Christmas. Sarah Jessica Parker is an absolute mess here and super fun to watch, she kind of steals the movie actually which surprised the hell out me because she doesn't usually have that much range. Great extended cast too, including Craig T. Nelson & Diane Keaton as the parents with Rachel McAdams, Dermot Mulroney, Elizabeth Reaser and Luke Wilson as the kids and (an underused) Claire Danes. I enjoyed everyone here and was entertained by the mayhem throughout, even surprised by some of the events. Great acting from all amid moments of humour and even some heartbreak. For a Christmas movie this is more than decent.12/23/14