The Family Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Family Stone Reviews

May 17, 2015
Definetly a good movie worth checking out. This family film starts out as a comedy and goes to serious in the last half. Rachel McAdams is awesome.
½ May 16, 2015
A pretty good movie....More of a drama than a comedy though. I really didn't think it was all that funny. The first half of the movie is really just kind of awkward, but it all comes together in the 2nd half, and ended up being pretty decent.
May 14, 2015
Fantastic cast and story I love watching it each time it comes on!
May 5, 2015
This movie shows how real life's fantasies are not antithesis. Amazing. 5/5
February 15, 2015
love this movie <3 cry everytime!
February 1, 2015
It's not funny, it's mean spirited, and there's a lot of unlikeable characters.
January 21, 2015
One of my favorite holiday movies :)
January 10, 2015
As some reviewers suggest it is very underrated movie, the cast is awesome! One of my favorites, I wish we had more simple stories like this with good acting.
January 9, 2015
This was terrible on so many levels. So bad I could on stand so much. I only made it to the bar scene.
½ December 27, 2014
Zuerst sind alle Anti-Meredith aber für den anderen Bruder ist sie dann okay? Whatever. Die Cast ist toll, aber diese Tischszene... uuuhhh (Dezember 2014)
---
this swap partner thing between sisters (or brothers) is an arrant nonsense!! but i liked the whole family atmosphere and of course the cast was awesome. i'm a pro meredith even if this dinner scene was truly dreadful. and is diane keaton now always wearing turtleneck? (around 2008, 4 stars)
½ December 26, 2014
This is definitely one of my favourite holiday films! Genuinely heart warming, and exceptional performances from the whole cast truly elevate this potentially saccharine movie to a fantastic 2 hours
½ December 24, 2014
Pretty bad. Formulaic. Bad acting. Poor character development. Cliche. Utterly predicable. Actors did not look like the people they were supposed to be.
½ December 23, 2014
I enjoyed this one, Excellent cast in a touching comedy about an uptight, ultra conservative businesswoman (ice queen) who accompanies her boyfriend to his outgoing and screwy family's annual Christmas celebration. He has plans to propose, she is overwhelmed by the hostile reception.

It was just kind of addictive watching this eccentric (normal) family going about the trials and tribulations of love and life at Christmas. Sarah Jessica Parker is an absolute mess here and super fun to watch, she kind of steals the movie actually which surprised the hell out me because she doesn't usually have that much range. Great extended cast too, including Craig T. Nelson & Diane Keaton as the parents with Rachel McAdams, Dermot Mulroney, Elizabeth Reaser and Luke Wilson as the kids and (an underused) Claire Danes. I enjoyed everyone here and was entertained by the mayhem throughout, even surprised by some of the events. Great acting from all amid moments of humour and even some heartbreak. For a Christmas movie this is more than decent.12/23/14
December 21, 2014
Heart touching, funny a great cast must watch.
December 19, 2014
The Family Stone is a messy, convoluted family comedy that gets lost in itself. The story follows Everett Stone as he brings his girlfriend home for Christmas to meet his family, and the shenanigans that ensue. The film has an all-star cast that includes Sarah Jessica Parker, Diane Keaton, Craig T. Nelson, Rachel McAdams, and Luke Wilson. However, the script is weak; going off on several tangents and the tone is constantly changing. As a result, the story never gets going and is constantly battling between comedy and drama. Lacking focus and clear direction, The Family Stone is an underwhelming and chaotic film that's not very entertaining.
December 14, 2014
Loved this film from begging to end. great story great acting. Sadley it's underated and many people havent heard of it. A must see.
½ December 12, 2014
There is nothing I hate more than a drama marketed as a comedy. The laughs stop minutes into the film as it becomes obvious that for one member of the family, this will be their last Christmas. SJP is uptight and unlikable, as the audience waits for someone to stop her engagement to the family's perfect son. If only this cast could have made this movie minus the cancer, it could have been a great holiday comedy classic.
½ December 11, 2014
The heart has the family film warmth by the nice selection of cast, with a silly nature of illogical developments and having awkward timing of "shifting tones." (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
September 23, 2014
Kind of surprised the critics didn't like this movie more. It's funny, cute, sad...lots of elements w/ a great cast!!
August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - December 2005 in theaters)