Family Weekend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Family Weekend Reviews

July 30, 2013
For once I disagree with the majority of the critic reviews. The second she started crying...In all my life I haven't seen crying that real in a movie. May not be the best script. But It had that great film festival realization feel and the acting was much better than expected. Cry during a comedy? I fell in love with her at that moment because i'm a kid I guess. It meant a lot to me.
½ July 29, 2013
This is mildly entertaining, but the family is seriously twisted.
July 21, 2013
eine tolle hauptdarstellerin rettet den durchschnittlichen film der aber trotzdem spass macht
July 20, 2013
so, i waa looking around the instant menu ans atumbled across this. some reason it caught my attention. looked like one of those family movies where the kid takes the parents and blahblahblah, but the R rating convinced me to hit play.. i was pelasantly surprised to find a decent comedy with a bunch of different characters. granted this story has been done before but this adds an adult cobtent throw to it that makes it barable to watch and enjoy. i laughed more times then i expected.
July 17, 2013
Flipping phenomenal movie ! All it takes is team work and love !
July 15, 2013
Imagine House Arrest, the movie with Jamie Lee Curtis that pretty much has the same basic concept of the kids locking up their parents, except better. The movie, as did Barry Munday, does have an inconsistent tonal approach, some of the jokes don't work but the movie is certainly solidly acted with a cast that does elevate the script past its weaknesses in delivering consistent comedy. If there's one problem is that the movie does become overly sentimental and EVERYTHING that happened in the movie happens in a period of 24 hours. In 24 hours this family goes from being at each other's trust and not being able to be in each other's presence, to being the best family the world has ever seen and while, granted, this film wasn't meant to be a realistic movie with realistic situations, it does strain credulity to think that all this crazy shit could happen in 24 hours. And this film is a pleasant surprise in that it opened my eyes to a really talented actress in Olesya Rulin. I've literally never seen this woman before this movie, and no I never watched High School Musical (and I don't plan on it) so don't bother asking, but she was really quite good here. I thought, with the way her character came across at first as a perfectionist snob, that it would make the character unlikable. Thankfully Olesya steers her character away from that and makes her likable as she really just want her family to go back to the way they were. And that brings me to another problem with the movie, there's this implication that the family, back in the day, used to be incredibly close and there's no real indication as to what happened that ended up driving the family apart. I mean it's said that Samantha and Duncan (Emily's parents) have had struggles in their marriage what with Duncan not being able to create a painting in 3 years. But, and this is the way the film presents it, it doesn't really seem like THAT much has happened to the family to justify this illegal "intervention" Emily has staged to rehabilitate her parents. As mentioned the cast is quite good, and I do think their talents make some of the film's weakest moments into better than they are. For example Jackson pretending to be gay to appear more artistic and his father's reaction to it when Emily outs Jackson as actually being straight. That aspect of the film probably wouldn't read as well as it plays out on screen, and I think that's entirely due to the cast. I also like Joey King's character who would dress up and pretend to be characters from some of her favorite movies. Again probably looks bad on paper, it plays out better on execution. The cast really is the best part of the movie, but the script doesn't give them much to work with. And by that I mean, the movie isn't consistently funny for the most part. I found the story progression to be solid, if a bit absurd thanks to the whole 'everything happens in such a short period of time' bullshit. I thought this was a solid watch, probably something I won't ever watch again but it's still a pretty good movie.
July 13, 2013
Crazy schmaltzy, but I liked it any way. It was like The Ref meets Election
July 12, 2013
Family Weekend is a slow moving comedy- drama about a girl trying to get her family to commiunate to each other. C-
July 10, 2013
A 16-year-old girl takes her parents hostage after they miss her big jump-roping competition. Very good movie
July 8, 2013
This was a wonderful movie! I loved it,it made me laugh,cry,happy,and sad but within all these emotions I felt throughout the movie it made me think about how it isn't always going to be great with you're family and no one has a picture perfect family but love and emotion will get me and anybody else through it
July 6, 2013
crazy n funny one ...
July 4, 2013
a little bit of fun. a little bit of heart. I enjoyed it.
June 28, 2013
Who was this movie made for again? Over the top acting and characters with a feel good ending.
½ June 26, 2013
Not a lot of love from critics for this one. I guess I understand it... but to be honest, I really enjoyed this movie, more than I thought I would. Sure, it's conventional, but it also makes you feel good. Most of all, the performances were very good, none more so than Olesya Rulin who is an absolute force from start to finish. I'd recommend watching this movie for that reason alone.
LWOODS04
June 23, 2013
Family Weekend was a film I decided to watch because I just wanted something to watch to pass the time. But even though it's pretty cheesy it still ended up making me laugh. It has a great variety of characters which made the family in the film one of the more interesting ones I have come across. Joey King was awesome in this. Her character has a love for movies and her character kept reenacting some pretty famous roles. It was a lot of fun to see such a young talent embody them. The movie isn't something I would have originally have ever chosen to watch, but it's not one I regret seeing.
½ June 21, 2013
Rated R for what? This seems like a Disney movie.
May 31, 2013
Slow starting but ended up being pretty good :)
½ May 6, 2013
People always say that it's the details that determine how great something is, and the details in Family Weekend are great; but how would that work if the rest is just complete and utter --?
½ May 5, 2013
This movie is weird. Its made really well but its just a strange movie. You really feel for the family and want them to work out their issues. The whole cast was fantastic and i loved the art detail that each character had. In the end, however i began to question the sanity of the leading girl, because she acts very weird. Overall i really liked this movie