Fanny Hill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fanny Hill Reviews

October 18, 2015
This was a bit surprising at times, to say the least. It could have been less graphic and just as effective. It reminds me a bit of "Tess of the D'ubervilles" but not quite. Fanny got taken advantage of in the worse of ways, but she made do, and learned to survive like women often do when placed in desperate situation.
June 14, 2012
not an amazing movie , but was ok, the acting was good, and it really did seem like it was set in the 1800's
½ September 22, 2011
Cheesily perverse, that would be the best way to describe this movie adapted from the classic novel by John Cleland. Badly over-acted, laughable dialogue, and an abrupt and clich├ (C)d ending make this movie a dud.
½ July 7, 2011
From Good Girl to Haughty Naughty, it is Delicious!!! My Favorite Version of Fanny Hill
½ January 6, 2011
A richly made and somewhat ribald tale is steeped in sex, without being particularly crass. Fanny goes from young, virtuous, naïve girl to worldly woman. It certainly pokes fun at Victorian sexuality and the extremely hypocritical nature of the upper crust. Well worth a watch if you enjoy the era, but not if you're uncomfortable with sex or nudity.
August 9, 2010
Como peli de la BBC es buena, pero cambiada; una adaptaci├│n libre de la novela. La historia pas├│ de ser la vida de una mujer de placer a un melodrama con rufianes.
May 21, 2010
½ December 13, 2009
Produced for BBC4 on a rather low budget, director James Hawes and writer Andrew Davies have brought the sprawling and erotic novel Fanny Hill to screen in an elegant, endearing and ultimately satisfying way. Newcomer, Rebecca Night, transforms on screen from a terrified innocent to an experienced courtesan without losing any integrity or audience approval. I found myself genuinely wanting her to succeed no matter what circumstances had forced her to do. The two part show - running at about an hour per part - certainly showed a good deal more skin and sex scenes than I was used to, but at no time did they make me feel uncomfortable. I enjoyed the journey and the conclusion (which is rare for a story of this era and subject matter - Tess of the D'Ubervilles, for example, was really depressing)

I enjoyed watching the 'behind the scenes' clips because they brought a lot more depth to what I had seen. I hadn't realized what it would be like for actors, doing a film with so much nudity. Even though nothing R18 is shown on screen, on set, they can't be shy. Seeing interviews with the director and set managers etc also made me realize how much of a limited budget they had, and helped me appreciate the illusion that is film. Many of the sets, for example, were re-dressed and shot in the next day for a completely different location.

All in all, I thought this was an excellent production that is well worth a watch, especially if you like historical drama.