Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Reviews

May 11, 2017
Since they released a 3-D DVD version it is absolutely in my opinion one of the greatest movies of this year. You have to watch it at home in 3-D tour appreciate the genius behind this movie. Highly recommended please go out and buy the 3-D version it is awesome!
½ May 9, 2017
The film is incredibly emotional and a very great companion film to the Harry Potter series. This is to be the first of five in a new series, hopefully another Potter trilogy will grace our screens at some point. The strength is the separation away from the central series, new characters and a better focus on a larger group of central characters. The film wasn't expected to recapture the magic of the universe and in this age of sequels, it's great to see a series not sell out to poor filmmaking. The cast gives one hundred percent and even throws a very large curve ball towards the end. The film has this sense of wonder and the upcoming films will have a tough act to follow. 10-05-2017.
May 9, 2017
I was really excited to take a trip back to the wizarding world. It was nice to see an older side to that world before Voldermort. That being said, I was hoping for just a little bit more. as magical as the HP franchise immersed us in, I didn't feel that when I watched this. Is it bad that I also wish Collin Ferrell would be playing Grindelwald and not Johnny Depp? I also really disliked the once Aura chick Tini. She just didn't sit well with me and I will leave it as that. And what really happened between her and the kid? why would she leave that kid with a woman who beats him knowingly? Shadey, I tell ya.
May 9, 2017
+ You've heard of a cast-of-thousands for the old Biblical epics? This is the crew of thousands, Credits running at almost 9-mins and in small print. And that tells you about the film. + Fantastic CGI wizardry, animatronics, puppeteering, rotoscoping, dark & moody e-matte painting, green screen, & TV style switcher efx - and a fine cast. But at 45-mins, no real story had emerged & the tho't to advance to the end begin to nudge. At 1:15 that's what happened. Enough with the beast inventions as inventive as they were. Seeing "The End" scene(s) suggested that the whole expensive shebang had a very modest & conventional payoff - and a very good soundtrack and workout for your 5.1 LFE channel. + Had wanted to like it more ... but didn't. Very rare to Scene advance a movie to The End; no regrets for having done so.
May 8, 2017
This movie has more heart than any of the original Harry Potter movies. It also has better actors in the leads and thankfully no Michael Gambon to drag the movie down.
½ May 8, 2017
It was a bit weird, but fun.
May 8, 2017
Awesome in both imagination and execution.
May 8, 2017
other than the CGI, stoopit and long. If this was the first time I'd seen Eddie, I'd never watch another of his filmes.
½ May 8, 2017
Not a great start to this new movie series but it was great to come back into the Harry Potter world.
May 8, 2017
the action and plot was amazing.
½ May 8, 2017
While still a very entertaining movie, the film tries too hard to be one of the darker Potter films and one of the lighter more family-friendly of the Potter bunch.
May 7, 2017
A great movie! J.K Rowling does not disappoint!!
½ May 6, 2017
Finally after 5 years, we're back in the Wizarding World for another adventure.

So when I saw the first trailer for this, I wasn't instantly hooked, but as new trailers were being released, I started to get more anticipated for this movie as I love Harry Potter minus the first two (the more childish ones).

The movie started off a bit slow but got more fast paced as time went on. Overall I liked it

7.7/10
May 5, 2017
Slightly better than what I was expecting, J.K. Rowling's imagination is fertile and sometimes interesting.
½ May 5, 2017
The magic realism that Harry Potter built up in seven movies is rapidly thrown away. As a movie, it is as a complete success, as the start of a new saga, it needs polishing
May 4, 2017
Similar to what Disney did with Rogue One, this Spin-off/Prequel may not be for casual viewers, but will be an absolute delight for fans of the original Harry Potter series. Good fun!
½ May 4, 2017
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is directed by David Yates, and it stars Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, Dan Fogler, and Colin Farrell in a fantasy film about a magizoologist name Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) who is going to New York City to get something for his family member, and he brought along a suitcase filled with creatures with him which, when someone else opened it, it was released some creatures that's running around the city where the muggles don't know about the wizardry. If you probably read my reviews, you can already tell that I'm a huge fan of the Harry Potter series as I grew up watching the films while reading the books afterwards. So of course I was excited to watch this as it has been 5 years since the last Harry Potter film, despite this being a prequel/spin-off. I was also curious in the fact that the author J.K. Rowling herself is writing the film for the first time ever, and that this is not based on any books besides the book with the same title, but it's not related to this, so we didn't really know about what it's about, nor how it connects to the Harry Potter stories. So for the first film of the new series, this is a very entertaining one. Eddie Redmayne is great as he got his quirks going on, but in a way that makes him very likable while also being professional of being a skilled wizard. Katherine Waterston is also great in it which she plays an auror that works for the Magical Congress of the United States of America, or MACUSA as the movie calls it, and I'm glad to see her in a big film like this after seeing her in roles from Steve Jobs and Inherent Vice where she got herself some prominent parts for her career. Speaking of seeing someone in a prominent film, that's the exact same thing for Dan Folger as he's honestly he best part of the film because he's very relatable to us that he gets shocked at the things that the viewers will get shocked at when they see wizardry in real life, and he brings a lot of his own that he's just entertains to watch and can do emotional moments that I almost got a bit teary in the end. Colin Farrell is very intimidating, but also mysterious as you don't quite know about whether he's a good guy or not. The effects look very creative with the creatures as there are a variety of them, and they are great, although in the beginning they look kind of iffy, but it could've been the quality of the DVD disc that I rented, so I'm not quite sure with that. I like how they tried so hard to make it different from a Harry Potter film with the setting being in the United States during the 1920s instead of in England during the 2000s, and the main character is completely different from Harry Potter also, but in a good way as the characters, while getting used to, are really good. The writing by J.K. Rowling is very imaginative which I'm very glad that she did a good job with the film. I wasn't quite sure where it was going even though half the film is basically like a Pokémon Go film, but that doesn't make it bad as I was still interested in where it's going. The film also stands out on its own, despite it being a prequel even though it doesn't remind me a lot of the Harry Potter films, and when they do put in references in the film, it's typically very small of the detail of it, or they don't tell about the reference that much. The main issue that I did with it, even if it wasn't much of it, was the pacing. There were some moments that I felt were a bit off in its pacing, and it can be a bit distracting, but it goes back to being entertaining and fun to watch. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is a really great film that I can't wait for the next film to come out as I don't mind a 5 movie series out of this.
½ May 4, 2017
Recapturing the almost lightning-in-a-bottle magic of the Harry Potter saga was never going to be truly possible. There was such a strong sense of love and care put into each of those eight films, and such passion would go on to define an entire generation. With that said, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them clearly doesn't stand up to even the weakest of the Harry Potter films, but makes for a fun return to J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World, and the start of a potentially engaging new franchise.

As the first film in a budding series, there's a lot to introduce, and that is far and way the film's biggest shortcoming. There's numerous characters intruded in this story all at once, and with this comes all kinds of subplots to try to keep up with. The narrative feels jumbled and unfocused because of this: there was a lot of worry at the announcement of a trilogy (now apparently a whopping five film series) based on a fictional textbook managing just over 100 pages or so, and just one film into the franchise, it becomes evident why. The "Fantastic Beasts" side of the story wraps up by the 90 minute mark, and even that requires a lot of fluff. The rest of the story, essentially a prequel to many of the more notable Harry Potter characters, feels tacked on, like it belongs in a completely different movie. It's compelling material, moreso than enough entire saga based around the fantastic beasts, but the lack of focus hinders its development as the beginning of a story arc.

At the very least, Fantastic Beasts does a good job of introducing us to the characters of this brand new side of the Wizarding World. Newt Scamander's awkward introversion makes for a nice foil to the more confident Harry, and Eddie Redmayne brings a lot of warmth and charm to the role. Perhaps the biggest highlight is Dan Fogler's Jacob Kowalski, a non-magic New Yorker whisked away into the wondrous world of magic, something every diehard Harry Potter fan has dreamt of. Fogler avoids falling into dumb comedic relief territory, and instead, like Redmayne, brings a big heart to his character. On the other side of the narrative, Colin Farrell makes for a captivating antagonist, and Ezra Miller is a powerhouse as usual in what turns out to be a surprisingly tragic subplot. Again, sometimes it feels like it belongs in a different movie, but Farrell and Miller bring the kind of depth that could make this franchise into something truly special.
May 4, 2017
Fantastic, original , and daringly authentic , with the 1920's theme??
May 3, 2017
40% - Relentless pacing issues and underdeveloped characters are the main reasons why this film is not as welcoming as any other Harry Potter film.