Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Reviews

August 12, 2017
Stunning! This film is definitely one of my favourite films of all time! It has the beauty of J.K. Rowling's world, with the spice of the '20's. A must-see movie for any Harry Potter fan, fantasy enjoyers, or movie-lovers in general!
August 11, 2017
The overall story concept alongside great performance by Eddie Redmayne and the abundance of masterful CGI makes this brave endeavour a mediocre success, despite the anticlimactic plot-line getting in the way of that.
August 8, 2017
Im so glad to be back in the Wizarding World.
August 6, 2017
There were moments when this felt just a little "off" but for the most part this was fun and fresh.
½ August 3, 2017
Charming! Love Eddie Redmayne!! He's so perfect! This fits so well into the Harry Potter World!
½ July 30, 2017
3.5/5. 7.25/10.

-JDK
½ July 30, 2017
Not bad, amazing creatures, good set pieces but I found the pace rather pedestrian and not much depth to the characters, who is this guy and why is he doing what he's doing?
July 29, 2017
Redmayne is fantastic.
July 27, 2017
Great movie , i liked a lot
½ July 24, 2017
"Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them" is a great follow-up to the widely loved Harry Potter series, and by no means is just a cash grab to try and capitalize on the success of the previous franchise. This movie stars Eddie Redmayne (Newt Scamander), who did a good job in being the slightly shy, but still intelligent wizard that he is in this movie, and really helps to bring the story to life. I also really liked Dan Fogler (Jacob Kowalski) in this movie, he brought a lot of humour and wit to the film, and it was interesting to see what a regular human's reaction would be to the wizarding world. There were some references here and there to the original Harry Potter series, with some characters and events overlapping into this movie, but it also broke off from Harry Potter, which I thought was great, because that opened up more space for this movie to be its own, and to give us what it had to offer, and not just leach off of the old series. The CGI of the beasts were done really well too, there was a scene where they were all in Newt's suitcase, and the beasts looked a little weird, but I later found out that they were supposed to be fake backgrounds, and it wasn't just a green screen issue, and when the beasts were shown in the real world, it was obvious how much time and effort went in to making those beasts look good on screen. There were some slow scenes in this movie, and I didn't really fully understand the story of Ezra Miller's character (Credence Barebone), I think this movie could've done a bit better job at picking which areas to focus on here and there. However, the overall story is fun and exciting, and for the most part pretty easy to follow, and for sure will please all of the Harry Potter fanatics. "Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them" is definitely worth watching.
½ July 24, 2017
good flick l, especially if you like the Harry Potter movies
(5.5 out of 6)
When we see there is much more then meets the eye, when a magical world gets even larger when we travel to various places in search of them that others cant see. When we see we are among plain sight, but our traces of our whereabouts remain momentarily before they are yesterdays forgettful news. When we see there is a world within a world where there are those in charge keeping an eye on us and keeping us unseen when we only belong in one world. When we see there are others who see to other things that belong to our world to only try to contain them but they break out so easily to only chace after when we are behinding knowing all there is too know about everything in our world. When we see that other things we wish to contain they break out from and hide in plain sight to become a nuance to only see they dont belong in any world. When other things we see that dont belong in any world they know their existence doesnt belong when they themselves cant contain what they see. When we see others who cant believe what they see are able to see all there is to see when they seen alot but everything there is to see when thwy cant be contained. When others havent seen much to only be contained to a world away in what they dont know to have little contact with the world. When we see what keeps in good relationships, existence and balance are all the mistakes and correct ways in which govern the two worlds that it remain that way. When we see that somethings that remain and can be contained we keep and other things we dont know how to contain must go. When we see the importance of our work to keep an eye on all that dwells in both worlds, to study all there is in seeing them, and providing them a future where they are accepted by society to live and be contained according to the governing world sees fit. When we see all that we wish to see make a future for them so one day they could be of service to us and help us in need when our world is threatened by what uncertainty and constraints that are put on us. (harry potter's hippogriff). When we dont see yet how important our work is yet when we have just gotten started in seeing the world. When other things we dont need to see we might see again when they see the world differently for the taking while others we see a fond farewell and happy life. When for others its all plain fun when visiting both worlds unexpectedly and not being seen living two lives. (queenie). When there is much to see in breathe of characters we now know and see they have much more than meets the eye to see some worlds have a great future ahead of themselves.
½ July 24, 2017
This movie was horrible. I loved the harry potter series but this does not even come close. Predictable story, bad cgi, and dragged out. The beasts barely had anything to do with the actual story, it was just a mash up really. There was no character development so you didnt get attached to any of the characters. The only emotion i got from this movie was with what happened to credence at the end. The main actor had such a boring personality. The first hour of the movie was so dragged out that i almost wanted to quit watching, i was hoping it was a build up to a super climatic ending but the climax wasnt even that great. This is a movie you can only stand to watch one time.
July 24, 2017
The franchise building makes the film feel busy, but ultimately, "Fantastic Beasts" is a perfect substitute for Harry Potter fans yearning to return to the world as created by J.K. Rowling.
July 23, 2017
watch this movie with diva Bette and larry. larry thought it was ok i love it. i love the special effects.the story line and the actors. it gave a little bit of the Harry Potter magical spells. very entertaining.
½ July 18, 2017
Though slightly less magical than the best of the Harry Potter film series, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them nonetheless re-establishes audiences in J.K. Rowling's wizarding world with a spun-off tale that's at times, well, fantastical.

In this PG-13-rated fantasy adventure, writer Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) finds a treasure trove of briefcase-dwelling beasties unleashed in 1930s New York City. So far as adapting a 90-page encyclopedic primer into a 2 and 1/4 hour fantasy full of engaging characters and dazzling spectacle, Fantastic Beasts definitely deserves high marks. Thin on dramatic material but rich in the kind of detailed minutia that often supplemented Tolkien's epic works, Rowling's guidebook certainly doesn't seem like an obvious jumping off point. Considering that the guidebook began life as a prop in a single scene from 2001's Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone (she turned the prop book into an actual book while the film was in post-production), however, a feature film as the next logical step actually starts to make sense. The result mostly works and works exceedingly well. What falls in the film's favor is the fact that the author chose this project as her screenwriting debut. Rowling's rich imagination serves the project well, as she colors outside the lines of the Potter-verse while keeping one foot firmly planted in familiar (to some, beloved) territory. Set 70 years before Harry reads Scamander's book, this American-set period piece opens up a new wizarding world rife with sequel potential. Also, unlike with the mega-bestselling Potter book series, moviegoers don't necessarily know where this adventure is headed...necessarily, mind you. Therein lies one of the few actual rubs. The main plot comes to a very predictable conclusion, though the numerous sub-plots unquestionably tantalize audiences for the inevitable follow-ups.

The main character also presents viewers with a bit of a rub. The supporting cast proves so rich with personality and character (Dan Fogler refuses to let the often buffoonish best friend role drift into cliche, Katherine Waterson and Alison Sudol invest two very different sisters with enough distinct verve to fill a Hogwarts class, and Colin Farrell makes for a fearful but sympathetic villain) that the reserved Scamander almost gets swept under the magic carpet. Thanks to Oscar winner Redmayne's (The Theory of Everything) masterly use of expression and tone, however, a little thankfully goes a long way. The actor slowly turns the quiet magi-zoologist into a very eccentric - but at the same time heroic - underdog. But let's not forget the titular characters. Brilliantly realized with wand-waving by some top designers and computer animators, the missing Beasts are, if not all Fantastic, pretty damn near to Fantastic (the Niffler, a platypus-like mammal who hilariously purloins shiny things, remains the stand-out). This whole exciting cauldron of story, character and SFX is never boring, swirling us into the bigger brew that's sure to follow. A ho hum twist at the end will excite some more than others but, between plotlines involving political skulduggery and a mysterious cult-leading sorcerer, moviegoers know Where to Find themselves when the sequel arrives.

To Sum it Up: New Order of the Phoenix
July 17, 2017
A great movie! Though it wasn't as good as the Harry Potter franchise, J. K. Rowling and David Yates truly managed to bring us back to the magical world of Rowling and at the same time present us with a totally different story and atmosphere.
July 15, 2017
A magical experience for everyone
July 14, 2017
Really good movie. Honestly, I watched it on the airplane home from London after living there for three months so I had a few other things on my mind, but every other movie I watched had trouble keeping my attention and this one really didn't.
July 12, 2017
It may be a slow-burn, but J.K. Rowling's spin-off gamble to her Wizarding World surprisingly pays off, thanks to a mature sense of world-building done with visual delights, a complex story, and charming actors.