Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Reviews

May 22, 2017
A very fun and entertaining way to begin the expansion of JK Rowling's Wizarding World
½ May 21, 2017
Terrible acting, overly clichéd in its 1920's look, long and boring with no chemistry
½ May 21, 2017
As long as I disconnected the film from my own concepts of the HP universe, I enjoyed it. The graphics and music were excellent and the story was good. Eddie Redmayne was flat, but the rest of the actors were good.
½ May 21, 2017
No plot and very predictable
½ May 21, 2017
Good movie!! Worht watching once. Liked the twist in the end. Hoping to see more of Johnny Depp
May 20, 2017
Enjoyable, and a very good film overall, but I don't feel overly hyped for the rest of the franchise.
May 20, 2017
amazing, fun, and action packed
May 20, 2017
Aucune emotion du debut a la fin. Enrobage d'effets speciaux sans aucune histoire a cote.
May 19, 2017
There are some pacing issues here and there, but overall Fantastic Beasts is an entertaining, exciting and (sorry) magical expansion of J.K Rowling's Wizarding World.
½ May 18, 2017
Great movie - very entertaining and great acting.
May 18, 2017
Would give it 10 stars if I could! One of my favorite colorful stories of imaginary and friendly beasts. Total brilliance!
½ May 17, 2017
Visuals were nice but it was missing something. Lost interest at points
May 16, 2017
I love Harry Potter, I love the whole wizarding world J.K. Rowling has created. I also love creature features, big effects movies with lots of bizarre monsters and creations. I also love period-piece films, especially 1920s America. So is it really any surprise that I liked this movie?
In the story and pacing department, the movie is admittedly a little lacking. This is the first time Rowling has written a film script, and it kind of shows. It's good, but it probably could've used some brushing up from someone a little more experienced. The pacing between events feels a little uneven and choppy at times. There are whimsical moments of chasing after creatures followed by quick scenes of exposition, and while I enjoyed both scenes in concept, they don't quite flow together. I also have some issues with the main conflict of the movie. It's regarding the rise of a dark wizard who came before Voldemort, and while a cool story, it feels very separate from the beasts segments with Newt Scamander. It feels like Newt was forcibly thrown into the this story that he's not really relevant to, making the whole thing a little clunky.
So more than any of the other Potter films, I have some major issues with this films story. However, I think it's a credit to the film that these glaring flaws really only became minor annoyances to me in the end. What pulls the film together for me is, well, for one just having a bunch of things I like in it. But also, it's got great characters that I really wanted to follow. Newt's so charming and awkward, he's an eccentric oddball who just loves what he does and that love passes on to us the audience. The Goldstein sisters are pretty likable too, but the one who really steals the show is Dan Fogler as a muggle who gets wrapped up in everything. He's clearly the audience surrogate, a character you really need in this sort of story, but he's such a lovable character you forget that his primary purpose is to have the plot explained to us. He needs to come back in the sequel or I'm really going to be dissapointed, because his friendship that develops with Newt is really the heart of this whole movie.
Fantastic Beasts is a little clunky in its storytelling, and at the end of the day it's not necessary at all. But here it is, and for what it is, it's really enjoyable. It's not a masterpiece, and doesn't have the same nostalgic pull as the other Harry Potter films, but as a side story in that world, it's a great deal of fun.
May 16, 2017
Hope there's a #2! So good!
May 14, 2017
Although a little overstuffed, Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them is nevertheless, an engaging and promising start to another magical series from JK Rowling, with atmospheric direction, wit, and wonderful characters.
½ May 14, 2017
There are some beautiful scenes, and there is some charm, but the movie is weighed down by a convoluted plot. Potter fans will no doubt enjoy it. Rowling, an incredibly talented writer, created a screenplay that presumes too much familiarity with the source material, and suffers for it.
Redmayne's performance seems oddly detached. The other roles are so thinly laid out that it's difficult to feel any connection with what is supposed to be dramatic tension. And the stormy flurries of destruction go on much too long.
The good news, for Potter enthusiasts, is that there are sequels already in the works. One hopes that Rowling will find her footing as a screenwriter, or hand those duties to another.
½ May 13, 2017
An exciting and action-filled adventure, though it would have been nice to see the story that lead to Newt Scamander's book by the same name.
½ May 12, 2017
Top-notch production design and some fun, wizardy FX moments aren't enough to carry a film mostly devoid of interesting characters. Eddie Redmayne's Newt Scamander is a weak protagonist, who seems to stutter his way through the proceedings -- one disaster after another largely caused by his own doings. J.K. Rowling's adaptation of her own book suffers from screenwriting inexperience, I feel; events just happen, scenes don't flow from one to the next, focus is often put on details more interesting to the author than the audience, and the action sequences aren't as well crafted as they need to be in order to hold interest. Disappointing, but maybe now that this set-up is out of the way, future installments can develop a story and characters that are more compelling.
May 12, 2017
A enjoyable movie overall, but I have a lot of issues with this film. The first is the main character, Newt Scamander. He's not nearly as interesting as the supporting characters, such as Tina, Graves, or even Jacob, as the only thing he does in the movie is capture magical creatures that escaped from his suitcase. His storyline felt irrelevant to the main plot, which involves an entity destroying NYC and the wizards and witches has to stop it before they're exposed to the Muggles. Sorry, but Muggles sounds better.

The movie falls apart when Queenie is introduced, and her relationship with Jacob felt forced. Ezra Miller's character was also very annoying. I understand that his character was abused, but his constant whining made him the most irritating and unlikeable character in the film. There were so many plotholes and the plot twists were very predictable.

The movie also tried to condense its mythology, but I don't understand why J.K. Rowling had to cram in so much mythology into one film when there are four more movies planned for this franchise. She wrote the screenplay as if she's writing a book. I understand she wanted to expand the Harry Potter universe, but Fantastic Beast was just more of the same but done better in the Harry Potter movies. The Fantastic Beast universe isn't nearly as immersive as the Harry Potter universe. Nothing in Fantastic Beast felt like it was set in the '20s, except for the clothes and vehicles. The wizarding world looks almost identical to Harry Potter, as if nothing has changed in the past 70 years or so. I guess it wouldn't be nearly as nostalgic if the wizarding world in Fantastic Beast looked drastically different.

I do like the cast (with the exception of one) and the set-pieces, but Fantastic Beast was underwhelming. I'm not even sure if it's better than the worst Harry Potter movie and I don't think I would be interested in the sequel, unless Tina returns for the sequel.
½ May 12, 2017
another beautiful world to wish we could live in it