Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Reviews

Page 1 of 184
March 19, 2018
A magical movie. The film has managed to enchant me by minute one. As a fan of the Harry Potter films, the entry with the newspaper reports was a nice start into a new history of this world. The figures grow very fast to the heart. This is partly because the actors play their roles in a great way. I especially like Eddie Redmayne and Dan Fogler. The story, in my opinion, is not exactly a latte, but gradually discovering the various animals has made me very very much happy. Technically, the film was well done, but partly I thought too much CGI was used. The film might have been shortened by 10 minutes, but it is definitely worth seeing. 8/10
½ March 18, 2018
Reviewed 1.29.18. It fails to cast its own spell, hence the occasional tie-ins remind you what you're really craving (we miss you Harry!). Set against the incandescent world from whence it came, the setting feels uninspired. And most of the new characters stumble out of the gate, due to a lack of compelling emotional attachment. Newt Scamandar (Eddie Redmayne) is no orphaned and tortured Mr. Potter. Thankfully, Dan Fogler delivers a star-making performance as 'No-Maj' (Non-Magical, a.k.a. America's 'muggle') Jacob Kowalski. A wannabe baker that can't catch a break until something fantastic enters his life, and not just beasts. Alison Sudol lights up the screen as his love interest, Queenie Goldstein. Unfortunately the fresh-faced cast is weighed down by established stars like Colin Farrell, and seems they are repeating the mistake, with Johnny Depp scheduled to gobble up air in the planned sequel. Thankfully for the younger set, the CGI creatures are the true draw. One can only hope that its most attractive assets will be free to shine in future installments. Much like a collection of young wizard heroes from yesteryear.
March 17, 2018
Brilliant way to still make films set in the Wizarding World. Spot-on acting by almost all the actors, especially Dan Fogler. Also, love the way the story isn't a clone of the Harry Potter films. It stands on it's own as a very magical film.
March 16, 2018
Do mundo mágico de Harry Potter o diretor David Yates apresenta-nos Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, 70 anos antes da história que conhecemos. A antecipação era sentida um pouco por todo o lado, mas será que correspondeu às expetativas? Sem dúvida que sim.

A narrativa desenvolve-se na cidade de Nova Iorque, em 1926, e conta a história de Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne), um escritor e feiticeiro com um carinho especial por animais e criaturas mágicas, que rapidamente entra em apuros após algumas das suas criaturas fugirem da sua mala, correndo o risco de expor o mundo da magia à população que não pode saber da sua existência, os no-maj (não mágicos).

Aliada a uma equipa de produção capaz de dar vida às suas ideias, a escritora J. K. Rowling volta a mostrar uma tremenda capacidade imaginativa e dá um novo plano de fundo à saga que promete muitas e boas surpresas. Com uma história ruiquíssima e uma panóplia de personagens que por vezes o filme luta em solidificar, Fantastic Beasts estabelece-se como um filme que irá agradar a miúdos e graúdos, e promete conquistar uma nova geração de fãs que irão experienciar pela primeira vez este universo.

Para um filme de aventura e fantasia, este sucede em ambos os géneros, valendo-se da sua personagem Jacob Kowalski (Dan Fogler), um no-maj, enquanto elemento cómico e expositivo para a audiência. Destaco também no meio de um elenco talentoso a performance de Colin Farrell, que interpreta Percival Graves, cuja presença era suficiente para me prender a atenção ao ecrã, assim como Eddie Redmayne que vestiu a personagem em pleno.

A natureza espacial e temporal do filme são também do meu especial agrado, conseguindo reproduzir o visual, crenças e costumes da época de forma credível. Também credíveis são os efeitos especiais e a sua interação com as personagens. As criaturas são imaginativas e têm características únicas, despertando um pouco da curiosidade animal do ser humano.

O filme comete o pecado de não ter uma banda sonora memorável e de perder alguma estabilidade ao nível da edição em certas cenas de ação, onde perde a noção do espaço. Também luta no desenvolvimento dos subenredos, que não são posteriormente bem explorados, retirando alguma coesão ao filme.

Com uma mistura de descoberta, diversão e obscuridade Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them demarca-se não só como o primeiro de cinco filmes planeados para esta nova etapa, como também um filme com mérito próprio, não dependendo dos nostálgicos filmes de Harry Potter (2001 - 2011) para enfeitiçar o seu público.

½ March 16, 2018
surprisingly great. eddie did a marvelous job. great dialogue and good plot. awaiting the next one eagerly
March 14, 2018
A very pleasant surprise!
March 5, 2018
An interesting story but feels a bit choppy. A little more time spent on character development and development of the "new world" would have been helpful. Redmayne's character feels a bit too odd, but the movie is entertaining and the future of the franchise looks good.
March 5, 2018
Even if you haven't seen Harry Potter, you'll like this movie.
March 2, 2018
This is all very spectacular, using computer generated images to accompany the magical storyline, which is fascinating for the mind, and no doubt guilty for sending many children into fantasyland overdrive. Only problem is, I have no idea what's going on. Is this a prequel to Harry Potter, a sub-plot, or something completely independent. All these use of spells and wonderful character names make one need subtitles to understand the wizardry dialogue, which rather detracts from the enjoyment.
February 19, 2018
Overall a good movie but I couldn't get into the characters until the last few scenes.
February 17, 2018
Well a complete disappointment climax is the portion wvh gets noticed but still this franchise hs a lot of potential
February 16, 2018
I very much liked this new step into another side of the Harry Potter world!
½ February 12, 2018
An enjoyable view on the wizarding world. Definitely recommend watching. It's a shame you knew Colin Farrell was the antagonist from the very start as they gave it away with the hair was just a matter of waiting.
February 6, 2018
Newt is a compelling lead character. Jacob was fun, and a comedic relief, in a not so obvious way. I had fun learning about all of the different beasts. Can't wait to see more of Newt and his friends : )
February 3, 2018
Movie made no sense. Great film if you enjoy confusion and loud sounds
½ February 2, 2018
Well at least this film got a interesting story, or else I will be giving this a 2-star rating. But it may be a great film for Harry Potter fans.
February 1, 2018
I like the adult theme set in the Harry Potter world. What's not to like. Come on people!! Not a fan of Waterston but she did okay. Looking forward to next film. Kudos.
½ January 30, 2018
I hate this movie it's boring and confusin.
January 29, 2018
I am obsessed. Brilliant storytelling. Thrilling characters, perfect acting, special effects, costume design, just everything on point.
January 27, 2018
I was excited to see this movie and learn of the upcoming sequels. The movie as a stand alone wasn't great. I would give the sequels a try considering the story line and how much I enjoyed Harry Potter; however, with yet another appearance of recycled, blonde villain, Depp as Grindelwald, I'm seriously disenchanted. Lost the magic, J. K.
Page 1 of 184