Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Reviews

August 22, 2017
Fantastic everything. Very well-done.
½ August 21, 2017
This was a wonderful film. Most reviews don't do it justice, and that seems to me because they are trying to compare it to the Harry Potter series, when this film is attempting something very different. This is above all a film about love and human feelings, hubris and humility, caring and denial, and redemption in the little ways. .
August 20, 2017
It's such a refreshing story, and it leads to the beginning of many well known traditions at Hogwarts. So glad I watched it!
August 18, 2017
The story can be a bit hard to follow, but the enjoyable acting and vividly spectacular imagery make this a worthwhile watch.
½ August 17, 2017
I am so enamored with the character Newt Samandor (brilliantly cast with Eddie Redmayne) that I have watched three times! When I see that critic Mark Medly of the Globe and Mail wrote that the characters had less personality than the monsters, I was infuriated! What about the baker? HE's adorable. Great movie. Funny how CGI has become so good, people take it for granted.
½ August 16, 2017
An interesting prequel to the Harry Potter stories and a more grown-up version of the wizards and their powers and beasts. I enjoyed the very brief cameo from Johnny Depp near the end.
August 16, 2017
With a very simple plot that lacks the weighty feel and inherent sense of approaching catastrophe that the original Potter films had, a script that has trouble finding the balance between whimsical and dark, as well as somewhat bland (although very likeable) characters, 'Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them' certainly isn't the best entry into the Potter franchise. That being said, when seen as a stand-alone project, it is still an enjoyable film in its own right, despite its shortcomings, and easier to follow if you know next to nothing of the Potterverse other than what you've seen on-screen. Yes, its magic may still be dormant, but it is there and perhaps it's just waiting to burst forth in the next few films. Clearly meant as an introduction to a new world and characters, here's to hoping there is a whole backstory, full of intrigue, yet to be revealed.
½ August 15, 2017
Still not a Redmayne fan, but it's an interesting expansion of the Potterverse.
August 15, 2017
A slow, dull and over Americanised spin off that doesn't compare anywhere near close to the brilliance of the other HP movies. Gutted.
½ August 15, 2017
Literally one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. A complete disappointment and an obvious cash-grab.
½ August 15, 2017
At a glance this was a thrill seekers paradise. A must see for any Harry Potter fan however after the introduction the film grinds to a halt and the story telling becomes more monotonous, Eddie redmond plays a role designed for an audience of teenage American girls, a new era Hugh grant. This diverts from his actual character quite a bit. Dan fogler plays the comic relief who could have quite easily have been taken from the film and it wouldn't have been noticed, this is a shame as I find his ability on screen fantastic. Colin Farrel plaid the Erie and powerful Percival graves setting an evil tone from the offset with his evil and mysterious look, however as the story goes on and we learn more about him it seems more as if he was thrown in to draw a crowd. I feel like the casting could have been better and the storyline could have been focused in better areas, having said that I get the appeal.
½ August 14, 2017
I put "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" on the same level at "The Hobbit." "Harry Potter" was a great series of films (and books) that had a world rushing to movie theaters to watch the epic battle between the boy who lived and Lord Voldemort. After the eight films, that is where it should have stopped though I cannot say I am surprised that the world of "Harry Potter" would return. Written by J.K. Rowling, the writer of the "Harry Potter" series, "Fantastic Beasts" hopes to bring the love and magic from the previous installments onto the big screen once again. Unfortunately a sub-par story and lack of a real villain cannot bring back our love for magic.

The story focuses on Newt Scamander (Academy Award winner Eddie Redmayne), an author who travels to New York City on a global study to find and care for fantastical beasts. However upon entering the city, some of his beasts (locked away in his magical suitcase) are released. While trying to find them, Scamander finds himself in the middle of an ongoing protest between wizards and no-majs (an American term for Muggle).

The story takes place in 1929 before the events of Harry Potter and gang. In fact, there is little to no real tie to the storyline besides the general topics (wands, wizards, no-majs/muggles, Hogwartz, etc.). However, there in lies the problem with "Fantastic Beasts." As the film tries to be on its own, the viewer cannot help but compare the film to the "Harry Potter" series. The charm from the original series is here in "Fantastic Beasts," but what is really missing is a great story. There is tension between the wizarding world and the no-majs, there is a dark source of magic in the city, and there is a main character we can get behind. However, there is no supporting cast of "fantastical" characters that we can understand and love or hate. Percival Graves (Colin Ferrell, who's performance is somewhat lacking) is an interesting character but towards the end becomes a typical, by-the-book character. The twist at the end is predictable which removes whatever tension is from the film (though I wonder how much Johnny Depp got for 30 seconds of screen time).

"Fantastic Beasts" tries very hard to be on the same level as the "Harry Potter" series. Unfortunately, the magic is not as strong and if there is going to be more of these beasts in the future, I hope it brings a fiercer story. However, "Fantastic Beasts" is a nice trip down memory lane for viewers who want to see some old spells being used and some pretty cute beasts locked away in a suitcase.

Grade: C-
½ August 14, 2017
A solid 3 but it gets the extra 1/2 for the Bowtruckle blowing a raspberry at Newt! вр'(TM)
August 13, 2017
This is a cool Prequel to the Story before Harry Potter :)
August 13, 2017
An impossibly charming cast led by the immaculate Eddie Redmayne keeps the ship on course through the dull waters that often fill the origin ocean, but this is a solid start to a promising series. The not-so-subtle themes of conservation and acceptance seem all too timely as well. Maybe the wizarding world can convince those who won't listen to us Muggles and Nomajs
August 13, 2017
great movie, can't wait for this series, I love harry potter and this may be better
August 13, 2017
Great film and plot ... keeps you guessing!
August 13, 2017
I saw it in theaters and it was gorgeous looking and it definitely captured me in the plot and characters. There was also many many references to the Harry Potter series which was awesome but the movie didn't over do it so much to the point where it could have been the very easily made Harry potter reboot.
½ August 13, 2017
This is an entertaining film, beautifully designed and photographed with clever characters, strong performances and great visuals and makeup effects. And for me that's the problem. There are so many eye-popping scenes of special effects, it takes away from the story. I was never a devoted fan of "Harry Potter". I only saw the first two films and read a couple of the books. I think that I was just to old to appreciate them. I do tip my hat to J. K. Rowling for her immense story telling skills, but I'm not sure that I'll follow a series of these movies.
August 13, 2017
A decent start to this earlier era in JKR's Wizarding World although my main interest was in the photo and conversations of and about another female member of the Lestrange family.