Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Reviews

½ June 16, 2018
Great characters top movie a worthy entry to the franchise
June 16, 2018
What a dull, ugly and flat out despicable movie. I wasn't engaged once throughout this "movie". Hits every predictable beat like it should with zero risk or anything interesting happening. A soulless product that purely exists to generate revenue and has no regard for quality.
June 16, 2018
Eddie Redmayne is an amazing actor. this movie is excellent entertainment.
June 16, 2018
Movie had some flaws and some down-time but overall it was a great experience.
June 14, 2018
I am a massive Potterhead. This series has basically supplanted Star Wars as my favourite of all time because of the absolute love and detail put into it by everybody involved.

Fantastic Beasts really scratches that itch of jumping back into the Wizarding World after the end of the Harry Potter series, but it absolutely assumes you are at least partly familiar with the source material.

The characters are well portrayed, and lovable, with the muggle very nearly stealing the show. It expands the world building from Hogwarts and Great Britain to the Americas and the rest of the world, which is awesome.

However, one nagging issue I had was that the Wizard characters avoided using magic (spells we've already know exist) in situations where it would have helped immensely. I can only assume the reason for this was to insert some visual set-pieces, but it seemed like a real oversight.

I really appreciate and respect that JK Rowling is writing these screenplays because I believe the original author should always have final say over their creations as long as they live. Now I can't wait for more!
½ June 9, 2018
I love the universe this movie has built, managing to recapture some of the wonder the first Harry Potter movies gave us when we discovered the Wizarding World. Newt's suitcase was absolutely amazing to visit and Graves makes for an awesome antagonist. Newt isn't the strongest protagonist but he has a nice chemistry with the other characters. A good addition to the HP universe.
June 5, 2018
Great movie, great introduction to a new saga... yes, I want MORE, i want to know more. And no, I don't care that Johnny Depp is playing, he can be a vilain in real life and in films. Lets see what how he does as a vilain in this franchise.
½ June 3, 2018
As a Harry Potter fan I was expecting to run into a played out childish movie but it was actually entertaining despite my low expectations. The main actor does get pretty annoying at times though and somehow gets away with destroying most of the city.
June 2, 2018
Fantastic Beasts brings new ideas to the Wizarding World that are great and interesting, but it's bogged down by sluggish pacing and an occasional lack of energy and momentum.
½ May 23, 2018
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is a 2016 fantasy film directed by David Yates.
This fantasy film certainly has amazing special effects, costumes, and set designs. The film started well, though was a little hard to follow. But I felt that it then lost its way, with some scenes going for too long and others with too much of a dark focus. A over 2 hours, this movie was too long. It certainly doesn't match up with the Harry Potter movies. The major issue I had with the film was Eddie Redmayne. He was miscast in this role and, due to his constant mumbling, was almost impossible to understand. I could only hear about 10% of his dialogue clearly. Let's hope the sequel doesn't suffer from this also.
May 18, 2018
soulless effect spectacle without any kind of story ... i am a huge potter nerd and LOVE the books and films, this spinoff is very stupid ... hope the following films will be better .. the movie is not worth a half star, its like 2/5, but there are so many fanboys posting 5 stars without any reason, i give it half a star to even the odds
½ May 16, 2018
An enjoyable fantasy film that while no where near as exciting or absorbing as the Harry Potter films is solid filler material for fans of the series.
May 16, 2018
An excellent addition to the Harry Potter Universe, Fantastic Beasts brings exciting performances from its leading cast, good character relationships, and well constructed graphics/animation.
May 16, 2018
Really enjoyable movie, Newt Scamander is really an interesting main character,and the side characters are properly developed.Also its a really pretty movie to look at-
½ May 13, 2018
A light, fun expansion of the Harry Potter wizarding world. Eddie Redmayne portrays Newt Scamander's 'harmless mad scientist' vibe perfectly.
May 13, 2018
Great! Spin off harry potter.
½ May 13, 2018
A movie I had no expectations going into, but ended up loving a great deal and I might just be the only person who fell deeper in love with this story than I ever did with Harry Potter. Not a flawless story and has some pacing issues, but it is entertaining and charming to me. The downpoints to me being the more boring parts with Credence Barebone and his "family." However following Newt Scamander around 1920s New York has enough charm in it to win me over. I am here for the premiere of the sequel!
½ April 25, 2018
The Movie does the Potter Films Justice. It really feels like watching a Potter movie, but with a twist: It's grown up. It all feels more adult, with a more darker tone and some more sexual allusions, but it is easily watchable as a child.
Eddie Redmayne does a tremendously good job playing the Role of Newt Scamander. All the other actors are good as well, but not as good as Radmayne. The only actor that comes up to Eddie is Dan Fogler but thats probably just thanks to his character Jacob Kowalski. Kowalski is the representer of us, the audience, and thanks to that you can even watch the movie if you haven't been in touch with Harry Potter. And for the Potter Fans it's just a nice extension of the wizarding world, we all know and love.
The Music is good and sounds familiar, like in the Potter films. The Visuals are pretty good and they look a lot like the effects from the last Harry Potter Parts, who also were created by David Yates. The Story is pretty good, but nothing special and in my opinion it focuses too less on the Beasts and more on the storyline of Credence and Graves, which is kind of sad since the movie series is called Fantastic Beasts. But apart from that it's a good movie.
April 23, 2018
In Phantastische Tierwesen und wo sie zu finden sind geht es um Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) einen sympathischen übernatürlichen Tierforscher dem die Tiere aus seinem magischen Koffer entwischen. Die lustigen und gut ausgedachten Tierwesen würde man am liebsten mit nach Hause nehmen. Colin Farrell spielt den Bösewicht und Johnny Depp hat eine sehr kleine Minirolle.