Far and Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Far and Away Reviews

October 13, 2014
I watched it in school which at first, I surprisingly never heard of this film despite the fact that it has Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, and it has Ron Howard as the director. When I saw it, I figured out why, it's a forgettable mess of a film. The two main problems, are the main actors, and the plot. I'm sure Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman are trying to act, but their accent is not authentic, it's like their accent is the same way that Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins is with his accent. Their chemistry could've been better though, and it felt like it was more arguments than just conversations. The plot, there's way too much of it, and it doesn't know what it's trying to focus on. There is another problem which is the comedy, but it's minor because there are some funny moments, but there was some other parts that was just awkward. Despite those flaws, it didn't make me mad because there are some good scenes in it, but it's just a bit dull and disappointing that I'm probably going to forget it in a few days.
October 2, 2014
hizo algo que pocos filmes de ese estilo pueden lograr, creerles
August 4, 2014
This film felt like they were just checking off the "make a period-piece epic" box.
½ July 23, 2014
Being Irish I find this film literally unwatchable after about ten minutes because of the atrocious accents. They really are that bad.
½ June 16, 2014
The accents of the leads are horrible and the plot is quite silly at times but the film is entertaining enough to be bearable.
June 14, 2014
a classic. beautiful love story. the search for land, freedom, and the american dream.
½ June 4, 2014
i didn't entirely dislike this film, it had it's moments. but it was really cheesy with a shit ending. actors were likeable, but why not cast actual irish actors?
May 8, 2014
Tom Cruise stars as an Irish immigrant who is on a journey to Oklahoma in search of the American dream, landowner. It's one of the best Ron Howard movies I've encountered.
½ March 31, 2014
Far And Away(1992)
Starring:Tom Cruise,Nicole Kidman,Thomas Green,Robert Prosely,Barbara Babook,Ellen Pollock, Collin Meaney,Michelle Johnson, and Douglas Gillso.
Directed By:Ron Howard
My Review
"All I know is that Joesph loves Shanon"
This is one of the most interesting but boring movies I have ever seen which makes no sense at all but that's how I feel about this movie. Apparently after this movie was made Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman also got married. The movie is mostly about obtaining land and love that's all i got out of it.
The film revolves around Joseph(Cruise)losing his father's land after his father's death and decides to set out to kill the landlord. But he fails. He meets Shanon(Kidman)a very modern type of women who wants to go to america and live a modern life. They fall for each other and both decide to get some free American land.
The direction from Ron Howard is better then is films in modern time now, the sets are realistic and the atmosphere of the film really evokes the 19th century. The acting on the other hand is very disappointing which is sad cause you've got two of my favorite actors as the main stars Tom cruise is doing well with the Irish accent for the film, as for Kidman I couldn't stand to listen to her.
The film as a whole is a love story set in immigration America had potential and is pretty to look at, but the tale is a bit alienating due to the poor performances from the lead actors. I give Far and Away a 2 1/2 out of 5.
½ March 17, 2014
Ron Howard is my guilty pleasure, he has made some great movies, some mediocre movie and even a bad movie or two. But I enjoy almost all of his movies, only one i did not like was How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Even I admit it is terrible...
½ February 19, 2014
Far And Away(1992)
Directed By:Ron Howard
My Review
"All I know is that Joesph loves Shanon"
½ February 10, 2014
Worth a watch on a Sunday afternoon, if there's really not much else to do.
½ February 7, 2014
2/7/2014: an ok movie with very good actors.
½ January 24, 2014
Thursday, January 23, 2014

(1992) Far And Away
FICTIONAL HISTORICAL DRAMA

This movie should've been called 'The Adventures of Joseph Donnelly". It's a pretentiously atrocious story directed by Ron Howard who was also credited in providing the story stars Tom Cruise as Joseph Donnelly who's house has just been burned down to the ground by a guy named Stephen as a result of high rent while the family were burying his father at the same time. Joseph then decides to vent his frustration to the land owners themselves to whom he coincidently bump into one of them while passing through a pub. At this point, viewers are baffled in regards to the situation, since it appears that much of the residents have no job, but still be able to continue to buy enough booze to get themselves drunk. In other words no one haven't got a sense about what the average residents do for a living. Anyways, because Joseph has no home to back to, he decides to go on a journey with his dads old gun on his hand so that he can go and shoot him. I don't really know how far Joseph walked but it seemed like it was at least less than a half a mile of walking distance. And I was like why can't some other people do the same, for the movie never explains. The owner's name is Daniel Christie (Robert Prosky) who appears to be a nice guy but the collector the family sends to collect the rent money, who also burned Joseph's house down appears to be a real dick, and his name is Stephen Chase (Thomas Gibson). I mean, how did he even get this gig in the first place, and of course the movie never answers. Daniel seems like a nice guy since he's totally unaware about Stephen's very harsh hateful tactics amongst the renters but for some reason everyone seems to walk around like he did absolutely nothing wrong making his character to be one-note and the family's reactions to be unrealistic. Joseph then manages to follow Daniel to his mansion and it's still like a half a mile away. And it there he meets Christie's daughter Shannon (Nicole Kidman) who caught Joseph hiding in their horse stable, and then stabs him with a pitch fork. Dickhead Stephen then gets notified that Joseph is unconscious and happens to be in the mansion of the Christie's recuperating and I'm still unaware about Stephen's role regarding the Christie's except that he also happens to be the fiancÚ of Shannon(Kidman) and collects rent who might be a law officer as well. At this point by the time Joseph is able to get onto his feet I'm wondering is he going to be allowed to explain his case to the Christie's since Stephen did burn his small little cottage to the ground. And the answer is no, what happened instead is Stephen then proposes a shooting duel with joseph to settle both their differences. I mean, wasn't their some law and order back in Ireland during the 1800's.

Anyways, Shannon dreams about escaping from the household in Ireland to the U.S. even though she got it made there, and offers to take Joseph along with her. Now, by the time they get to the US, Joseph suddenly becomes a great boxer even though he's really 5 foot 4 but in this movie he's 5 foot 7 with shoes on who is able to take on guys buffier than him with no indication of any training except with his two brothers for we have zero knowledge about where he learned how to fight except that it's natural down in Ireland. And at this point, I'm wondering if that was the case how come Joseph is still able to beat other Irish immigrants who also escaped along with him, for of course the movie never answers with the makers matching him with people slightly taller or the same size as him. This whole boxing scene echoes John Ford's movie "The Quiet Man". I couldn't believe I'm watching this, but in movies these days anything is possible. As I've said earlier, a better title would've been "The Adventures of Joseph Connelly" since he always seems to be the center of attention even when he loses he would eventually win and it's made in such unbelievable fashion we often wondered how come there isn't more people like him for Joseph is all I am able to handle.

1 star out of 4 stars
December 23, 2013
A super underrated movie.
½ November 26, 2013
Stunningly shot. Standard story. There's a disturbing celebration of insolence & perverseness. Utterly predictable. Creepy level of perviness. They idiotically confuse success & principle with snobbery. I actually ended up buying Cruise's accent eventually. The pretend dinner was vomit-inducing -- unwatchable. Interesting portrayal of the Oklahoma Land Rush. Good music. The antagonist was very contemptible. The relationship is not completely believable. Just alright.
October 19, 2013
A high standard of acting brings this story to life in a brash yet with an undercurrent of romance. The sets are well done making for a realistic period drama. Music is jest-full moving the story along in a fine tone that is a cheerful gift. Cinematography is not exceptional but has some quality parts a little more prep would have made it superb. Nibbles: Cherry Lemonade, Meers Burger.
½ September 5, 2013
A very underrated film, and I really don't know why.
September 4, 2013
A preteen favorite that seems more like a bizarre, pointless dream now rather than a film that was actually made. Notable for Howard, and easily the Kidman-Cruise mid-terrain to greatness coming out of the schlock of Days of Thunder and heading towards Eyes Wide Shut.
September 2, 2013
Far and away the best love story I've seen in a long time.