A Far Off Place - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Far Off Place Reviews

September 7, 2018
good family movie of determination and perseverance
July 24, 2016
The Kalahari adventure!

If you are a Disney live-action film fan, you won't disappoint with it. It comes between the regular Disney films and Disney nature films. It sets in somewhere in the Namibia and takes us with to a great adventure which is more like a documentary film than a film with a story. Actually, there was a small story, mostly on the opening and the end part and the rest of the film was a foot journey like 'The Way Back'. Based on the book of the same name about a girl and a boy who team up with a bushman to cross the Kalahari desert after their family was attacked by the poachers.

I did not know anything about it, so I expected nothing. But I thought of 'The Gods Must be Crazy', since it is not a comedy, I prepared for something new. I really liked the film, but not that much. Spectacular African landscapes, and awesome performances by everyone. I would have loved it if a few more wild animals participated in it, after all African flavour means that's what we all anticipate, especially the children. So from that perspective, it is slightly a disappointment, but not much. Other than that it is a fine family film from a trusted production house.

6.5/10
November 25, 2015
Haven't seen this in forever, and wouldn't mind revisiting a flick like A Far Off Place again! It was a box office bomb in the early 90's, but it couldn't have been that horrible, eh?
October 25, 2014
This film sets itself apart from other Disney films, with its cinematic, yet untouched view of the African wild and at the same time shows a degree of brutality that makes the film's characters both interesting and their futures unpredictable. It is not often that actors so young can make characters entertaining yet mature. this is a film not only for children but for adults also.
October 13, 2014
Interesting to see Reese as a teenager. Many disconnects in this movie however it is entertaining. Loved seeing Jack Thompson with his distinctive voice that I immediately identified as Clancy.
July 29, 2014
(First and only viewing - 1/14/2011)
December 18, 2013
Great family friendly film
½ May 15, 2013
Very loosely based on a pair of books by Laurens Van der Post, this Disney production involves two teenage strangers who must make a perilous journey across the Kalamari desert after their parents are murdered by poachers. They are aided by a kindly bushman, who teaches them how to survive, and naturally, helps the two endure a relationship. A FAR OFF PLACE benefits from breathtaking cinematography which show off the African landscape with stunning flair. (Incidentally, the film is directed by Oscar-nominated cinematographer Mikael Salomon, which explains the aforementioned visuals.) The performances are also very good, particularly Sarel Bok as the kind bushman, Maximillian Schell as a heroic anti-poaching soldier, and Reese Witherspoon as the lead character (and arguably more appealing) of the leads. There's plenty of funny moments and scenes in which the characters receive help from elephants, learn to kill for food, and survive hazards such as sandstorms, bloodhounds and scorpions which are quite exciting. That said, A FAR OFF PLACE is also surprisingly violent for a children's film, particularly one from Disney. In the first five minutes, a herd of elephants are gunned down and their tusks are sawed off--a scene which will traumatize youngsters. And then of course, the children discover that their parents are killed. Is this movie for children? Probably not, but anyone older should be fine with it.
February 24, 2013
Baby Ethan Embry!! I loved this movie when I was a kid. This one and Cheetah.
December 28, 2012
Could be a worthy film like 'The Earthling'.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
December 2, 2012
confused, says not for animal lovers but says it's a family movie? Will at least give a trailer a look see
July 23, 2012
A Wonderful Movie. Saw it when I was little. Ethan Embrey is a great in this movie.
May 20, 2012
On my to see list due to the Disney watching goal, but am feeling a little aprehensive after seeing comments about poachers and elephants and not being a good match for sensitive animal lovers.
April 1, 2012
i would like to see this
½ March 31, 2012
September 2, 2011
A FAR OFF PLACE is brave adventure of 2 kids with great message. Relation between 3 lead characters is very touching in this movie.

It's not a complete family movie.. there is a bit of violence content included.
I liked the movie.. I didn't feel bored until end when Xhabbo and Nonnie started thumping their chest and heavy load of wind start blowing in desert. Little odd thing to watch.
Another thing that was little odd when Nonnie, Mopani and Harry alone go to Rickket's property in search of Ivory and the ran into Rickett alone. It's another odd thing. No other vehicle around or any of rickett's handsman around. Ending is little dull but rest of the movie is Good.

High Points:
1. Reese Witherspoon's Performance
2. Storyline, Direction and Screenplay

Low Points:
1. Ending is little dull
2. Movie is little boring and slow in few parts.

Scenes:
1. End scene when Harry came back with Nonnie's birds is very good end.
2. A sequences between Nonnie and Harry are wonderful.

Direction, Screenplay, Cinematography are GOOD.
Dailogues are alright.

REESE WITHERSPOON steals the show completely. Wonderful acting in such young age in her early role. No wonder she is big hollywood star now.

ETHAN RANDALL as Harry done excellent job.

It's Family movie with Message about Illegal Animal Killing and wonderful performances by 2 young kids.

IT'S ONE TIME WORTH WATCH FAMILY-ADVENTURE MOVIE.
June 13, 2011
I haven't seen this movie in forever. I think I liked it when I did...
May 18, 2011
Pretty good survival movie!!!!
½ January 15, 2011
Too bad Steven Speilberg wasn't involved in this Amblin Entertainment production, it would've been his first Disney film. However, this movie has still got action and adventure in it and that's good enough for a Disney film like this!