Fahrenhype 9/11 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fahrenhype 9/11 Reviews

½ November 10, 2010
Note: This, like the Team America entry, is an article written for my college newspaper...so it will read as if it is tailored for that audience.

Several weeks ago while reviewing "The Hunting of the President," I mused that I wanted to see a documentary with a conservative point of view to balance all the liberal documentaries out there.

My wish has been granted; prominent Republican Dick Morris and other conservative voices have put together "Fahrenhype 9/11," a pro-Bush rebuttal to Michael Moore?s controversial box-office smash "Fahrenheit 9/11."

"Fahrenhype," now available on DVD, is as sure in its purpose as Moore?s film was. Where Moore used the medium of cinema to discredit George W. Bush and his administration, "Fahrenhype" uses the same medium for opposite means; it aims to discredit Moore and justify the reasons the Bush administration had for going to war.

This column is not intended as an attempt to prove or disprove anything found in either film or to judge the policies of the Bush administration. Regardless of one?s political belief, the events of Sept. 11, its aftermath, and the war in Iraq affect all of us, and that will not change if the winner on Election Day is John Kerry or George W. Bush.

I don?t judge these films based on their politics, but rather on how well they present their case through the cinematic medium. With that said, I feel it is worth noting that unlike so many documentaries-liberal and conservative alike-that feature nothing but talking heads and are incredibly redundant, "Fahrenhype" is a movie. It plays like a movie, using editing effects and music to stir the emotions. It provides some laughs, even taking a shot at John Ashcroft for his eardrum-splitting rendition of "Let the Eagle Soar." It is not shy about using the same techniques that Michael Moore has perfected against him.

"Fahrenhype" presents its rebuttals to almost every section of "Fahrenheit 9/11" clearly and concisely, from the 2000 election to George W. Bush?s vacation time to the military?s recruiting policies. Along the way, the film features soldiers who are for the war and support the president, several Republican members of Congress, and prominent pro-Bush voices like Dick Morris, Sen. Zell Miller, and actor Ron Silver. Yet the film scores the most points when it features an Oregon state trooper who appeared in "Fahrenheit" and did not like the way he was portrayed in the film.

"Fahrenhype" isn't as good as Moore's film; when comparing the styles of Moore and "Fahrenhype" director Alan Peterson, it is obvious that Moore is the superior filmmaker. But Moore also had more time and resources to make his film; considering the limits placed on the filmmakers here, what they have accomplished is admirable from a purely technical standpoint if nothing else.

Overall, I only have one serious gripe about "Fahrenhype 9/11": Was it really necessary to include Ann Coulter among those offering their views? Her borderline psychotic "I-hate-everything-liberal" rants are rather tiresome, and while she doesn?t add anything of substance to the film, she does succeed in taking attention away from others like Morris and Miller, who make some of the strongest points in the movie.

In writing and speaking about "Fahrenheit 9/11," its supporters, and its detractors, I have tended to stay away from that ugly "p" word, propaganda. I realize that Moore?s film does fit the definition perfectly. However, so do television commercials, talk radio, the shout shows on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News, internet pop-up ads, and so on and so forth.

The reality is that we are confronted daily with propaganda, and that any type of communication that tries to sway our thoughts is propaganda (like right now, I?m writing propaganda). So if we hold "Fahrenheit 9/11" to that postulate, it becomes clear that "Fahrenhype 9/11" is also a similar type of propaganda, albeit aimed at a different audience with a different ideology.

The political muck in America today is so thick you can?t cut through it with a chainsaw. It?s full of stubborn, hardheaded people who are always right, no matter what. I?ve spoken with liberals who will view "Fahrenheit" but not "Fahrenhype," and I have spoken with conservatives who will take in this film but not cast an eye towards Moore?s. Both sides have then seen it fit to make judgments based on movies they haven?t watched and feel free to debate something when they have no idea what they?re talking about.

That kind of attitude is foolish, close-minded, and most of all, stupid. The solution is obvious: Fire up the DVD player, watch "Fahrenheit 9/11" and listen to Moore make his case. Then watch "Fahrenhype 9/11" and listen to the conservative rebuttal. Then, do the sometimes challenging task of wading through the murk and drawing one?s own conclusions. Considering that it is the duty of those in a free society to be well-informed, I don?t think it?s too much to ask.

And that's my two cents.
½ September 25, 2010
not to bad... a lot of bullshit but some good points in this movie
July 26, 2010
junk movie
waste of time
February 10, 2010
I can debunk these debunkers so easily, this film was bullshit
October 1, 2009
Oh, How so many will try make Michael moore, look bad, just cause he is using our first admendment to the full force. This movie is filled with analytical mbullsh*t!

"One Star out of Four" Be happy you got that Mister.

The End. No More Comments.
September 8, 2009
I watched this film right after having watched Fahrenheit 9/11 for the first time. Moore is the more skilled movie maker, as he humanized his movie while this one felt more like a bunch of people spouting their opinions. The one big thing that I'll give this movie props over was addressing the Bush/Bin Laden family connection, as I felt a bit misled by that in Moore's movie. In the grand scheme of things, people will remember Moore's movie in years to come, while this movie was focused on the 2004 election and will soon pass into obscurity.
June 22, 2009
Provides some ammo for people who don't like Michael Moore, I guess, but doesn't have the courage to really go after him. I said it with "Michael Moore Hates America," and I'll say it again; why are people so afraid to actually go after Moore? I don't know anyone, left or right, who likes the guy, and it seems like people won't go whole hog when it comes to making a movie about him. If you don't like him anyway, then by all means, take a look at this film. but maybe you should consider making your own.
½ June 7, 2009
I get it...some people don't like Michael Moore. But to say his movies are propoganda and this one isn't is insane. Poor attempt to debunk and good filmmaker.
½ May 13, 2009
A fairly mediocre attack on Michael Moore that neither inspires or fails.
½ March 5, 2009
SCHOOLED MICHAEL MOORE NOW GIVE US SOME OF YOUR 100 MILLION DOLLARS TO MAKE THIS FILM PROFITABLE
January 20, 2009
oh gawd, you patriotic-governmentcocksuckin faggots will do anything to cover up or put down real facts! your american health care sucks ass; $4,000 just to fix up a broken arm!!??!? you americans are fucked down there! not that canada's is any better but at least we dont charge your whole life's savings just to fix a broken bone... -_-'
January 7, 2009
It's nice to see Michael Moore's falsehoods and omissions pointed out.
December 31, 2008
A great telling of just what a lying litle propegandist michael moore really is. Team this up with An American Carol and have a GREAT movie night !!!
November 23, 2008
Not Impressive...I wanted answers on why so much information was being withheld from us but all Fahrenhype did was protect Bush's dumbass integrity and try to hurt Moore's.
November 15, 2008
Absolutely DESTROYS moore's film & every flimsy premise he offers. Literally, every argument moore makes is exposed for the bold-faced lie that it is. This is called ownage. The level of intellectual argumentation is not even comparable. It's like adults arguing against children.
November 15, 2008
This is just as full of propaganda as Fahrenheit 9/11.
October 27, 2008
I wasn't impressed with the original film. This only sheds the light on a handful of techniques and people that were in the original film. Interesting spoof from a conservative's point of view. But the accuracy was very biased against Moore as well as relying too much on Ann Coulter which made general fallacies whenever speaking. For a film to rely on Moore's fallacies, but yet has several fallacies of its own just makes it as an average documentary.
½ October 5, 2008
"Fahrenhype 9/11" is a 'documentary' to prove that director Michael Moore's movie "Fahrenheit 9/11" is filled with bullshit. But just like many other 'anti-Michael Moore' movies it is not even close to be as well made, clever or entertaining than the Moore movies. "Fahrenhype 9/11" has one of the worst narrators I have ever heard and in the end this is just a much propaganda (if not more) as they say Moore's movies are, for example in this movie they even try to make you think that 'the patriot act' is great and that George W. Bush is not as dumb as he acts (and I bet nobody buys those statements). Say what you will about Michael Moore, but the man knows how to make a movie, who ever made this one doesn't.
September 28, 2008
Watch this movie to find and know the TRUTH of what really happend.
September 23, 2008
Have it - in your face ugly fat white guy!