Farewell (L'affaire Farewell) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Farewell (L'affaire Farewell) Reviews

March 22, 2015
Not every scene in Farewell plays out as well as I'd hoped, and some seem almost randomly added in with little necessary ties to the story, but when the plot gets back on track, Farewell delivers about what you'd expect it to.
November 30, 2013
Espionage in the USSR. Based on a true story, none the less interesting. Why oh why were they being so careless and obviously suspicious?
½ October 17, 2013
The performances are really good and the staging is quite believable and impressive.

The plot is really well done ... the only problem is that it is really far from the actual facts.
September 15, 2013
Taut and well made spy period thriller; a mood piece negotiating a large web of complications in an astute fashion--A Mind-Boggling True Story!!
September 2, 2013
Fascinating largely-real-life episode, and a very well made film around it.
August 17, 2013
Great spy thriller if you don't Mind reading subtitles.
August 1, 2013
As a thriller, this wasn't such a much, but it's fascinating anyway because of Edward Snowden and Bradley Manning. It's the based on facts story of a Russian whistle-blower who, back in 1981, manages to expose the entire USSR intelligence operation, all the infiltrators into American, French and UK military planning. He acts because he thinks the Soviet system has to come to an end. It worked, he did bring down the 'evil empire' and what he got for it was a bullet in the head. Wat fate is store for our two much-needed whistleblowers? Why aren't Americans staunchly behind them? What's going on?
½ June 24, 2013
I'm glad I saw this before bedtime, because it put me right to sleep.
½ March 11, 2013
Serguei Kostine's book 'Bonjour Farewell' serves as the source of the historical moments of one of the most important fractures in the Cold War in 1981 - the act of valor of Sergei Gregoriev - and the script for this very important and controversial film was written by Eric Reynaud and Christian Carion who also directed this stunning film (he is best remembered for his brilliant 'Joyeux Noël' which incidentally starred many of the actors in this film). It is a disturbing movie to watch, a film that was condemned by the Russian government, disallowing filming in Moscow - except for some undercover camera work for an apparent Coca-Cola commercial, and refusing to allow Russian actors to take part in the project. It reveals the brutality of the Communist regime of the time, a period Russia would prefer to remain occult

The story is somewhat convoluted, a fact that makes it even more revealing of the nature of espionage work at the time. Sergei Gregoriev (Emir Kusturica) passes secret documents to French spy Pierre Froment (Guillaume Canet) living in Moscow with his wife (Alexandra Maria Lara), documents so important that Froment must take extraordinary risks to pass them to the US Government. In the US President Reagan (Fred Ward) must balance the importance of these documents with the balance of relationships with the French government under François Mitterrand (Philippe Magnan) it is a tense struggle for power and at the crux of it is Froment and the ultimately captured Gregoriev who is tortured to reveal his French espionage contact. The rush to finish at the end of the film is breathtaking and heartbreaking. There is a conversation between Froment and the US Feeney (Willem Dafoe) that places the soul of the Cold War years in perspective.

Every aspect of this film is involving - the acting is first rate from everyone involved, the pacing is in the fashion edge of the seat direction, and the sharing of the innermost secrets of espionage is information we all should study. A reenactment of the Reagan/Gorbachev era as well defined as any film has dared to show us. Not only is this excellent filmmaking, but it is also information about a man's (Sergei Gregoriev) sacrifice that deserve honor. 4 1/2 stars 3-10-13
March 4, 2013
Emir Kusturica showing some serious acting chops. Unlike Eastern Promises this film we see non-russians playing Russians not because Mr. Fancy Director thinks that would be cool(FAIL), because no Russians were allowed to act in this film.
January 20, 2013
Wanted to see this one for a while. Good spy/thriller but left me a little confused as well.
January 5, 2013
I am not sure about the film's veracity but the acting is excellent.
December 24, 2012
I loved this movie. In French, English, and Russian...what a great thriller!
November 18, 2012
A Realistic Espionage Film... Intelligently made...
November 16, 2012
A typical spy movie where double agents play both sides. The interesting thing about "L'affaire Farewell" is that the story is more told from the French and the Russian standpoint.
November 14, 2012
Moyen d'un point de vue cinématographique mais puissant pour faire connaître l'histoire d'un héro méconnue.
October 29, 2012
An excellent espionage thriller without the trappings of a James Bond film, with real human characters.
September 28, 2012
I think I felt asleep that is why I didn't get it... I guess I have to watch it again..
½ September 26, 2012
The main characters are played by successful film directors in their own right. They are the film. As often happens with "inspired by" movies, it is hard to separate fact from fiction, and film-making from history. So I don't try. This is a great perspective, and a subdued one, of how an unassuming French man helped set in motion the fall of the Soviet Union. The typical stories we see about espionage between U.S. vs. U.S.S.R. take a back seat to the more personal stories of those were involved. It also explores the question of lying and betrayal, within relationships and to country. It is a tangled web when one sets out to do right.
August 28, 2012
I found myself pretty bored. It plods along at a shockingly slow pace and the story seems to overreach the ability of the movie format.