A Farewell to Arms - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Farewell to Arms Reviews

November 19, 2011
The very first movie I ever watch with my MOM and truly enjoyed. She picked it and I was in the 9th grade.
½ November 5, 2011
Epico dramma romantico-bellico con lo sfondo italiano della Prima Guerra Mondiale, tratto dall'omonimo romanzo di Ernest Hemingway che arriva a giustificare la diserzione per amore. Una riuscita storia d'amore tra un autista di autoambulanze statuintense e un'infermiera inglese.
September 27, 2011
As I much appreciate the star actor, Gary Cooper, I found this film to be a dissapointment. Cooper stars as a soldier to finds love in a World War I camp. He meets a nurse (Helen Hayes), and the spent several short periods of time together enjoying each other's company. Sadly, Cooper has to return to war and Hayes has been moved to another camp. I wanted to like this film, but I it found slow and relatively dated. It just didn't have the magic that it once had back in 1932 and alas, I could only marginally accept it. I will admit, however, the special effects were pretty explosive and there were few scenes with some passion.
July 26, 2011
People say it's to long, but it's less than 90 minutes long, so why not check it out?
June 26, 2011
A classic film, and one of the early talkies.
June 4, 2011
The book fails to carry over to the screen.
½ February 6, 2011
It was an Adolphe Menjou weekend a few weeks ago with Morocco, Path's of Glory and A Farewell to Arms. Cary Cooper is dreamy in this daring, pre-code anti-war drama adapted from Hemmingway's novel.
January 9, 2011
Lällistettynä Hemingwayna aikanaan pidetty leffa on kuitenkin ajalta ennenkuin itsesensuuri teki Doris Dayta koko Hollywoodista. Naispääosan esittäjä vetää roolinsa oivan jakautuneesti yhtaikaa hulluna/onnellisena/surullisena, mutta koko ajan rukkana ja Cooperilla on tämä ja Sheriffi leffoina joissa sentään lähes näyttelee. Valtavan iso produktio aidoilla paikoilla eli laatua alusta loppuun. Katsomani versio oli 2,5h, ilmeisesti lyhyempääkin on tarjolla.
October 7, 2010
Brilliant movie. On the Italian front during World War I, an American ambulance driver (Gary Cooper) falls in love with a nurse (Helen Hayes). Love and War, not a good combination but it was a beautiful romantic story.
September 5, 2010
Since I have not read Ernest Hemingway's book, all that I can go by is this film.

I thought that it was a slow, drawn out melodrama. A few times I wanted to turn it off. However, I stuck it out, because I wanted to see how it ended.

The two main actors who played the lead roles were not that good together. There weren't any real sparks that you see when two people are in love. It seemed kind of forced and phony.

Read the book instead. This film is a snooze-fest.
½ September 3, 2010
Very long and very melodramatic! Good actors and a realistic story, but it was too melodramatic for my taste.
August 12, 2010
Amazing movie. Gary Cooper awesome and so it Adolphe Menjou. One of the best movies ever made in the 1930's.
August 9, 2010
i love me some old movies
June 19, 2010
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie.....i think that gary cooper, helen hayes, adolphe menjou, henry armetta, jack larue, mary phillips, george humbert, mary forbes, fred malatesta play good roles/parts throughout this movie.......i think that the director of this classics/drama/war/romance movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect thorughout this movie.....i think that gary cooper/george humbert/mary forbes were great throughout this movie......i think that this is such a great war movie 2 watch its a great romance movie 2 watch with a brilliant cast throughout this movie n its enjoyable movie 2 watch
jjnxn
½ June 16, 2010
Creaky antique with mismatched stars is interesting in how much more openly the couples sexual relationship is portrayed than it would have been just a few years later when the production code had gone into effect. Otherwise it isn't anything to go out of your way to watch.
½ May 2, 2010
A sweet but painfully predictable love story. Cooper and Hayes were both OK but I liked Menjou as the doctor. It would be unfair to compare it to the Hemingway book because it was made at a time when the studios followed a tried and trusted formula for its stars.
February 28, 2010
A love story set in World War 1. And that's pretty much it. Not very interesting except historically.
½ February 4, 2010
1.5: This isn't how I remember Hemingway. The filmmakers seem to have almost entirely lost his mood and tone, even if they have stuck with essentially the same plot and some of the same dialogue. It's a bit hard to say what I think of the film as the experience was so influenced by the horrendous picture and sound. However, on the whole I'd say it was a sizeable disappointment. Cooper's performance was indifferent to poor and the rest of the cast wasn't much better. Cooper and Hayes work reasonably well together, but not well enough to pull the picture out of mediocrity. It's another obviously pre-code work. One of the early lines that gives it away is, "and you're an ass." It's truly amazing how simple the filmmaking techniques were in the early talkie period. The camera here is almost completely stationary, the framing uninspired, and the editing often a bit pedantic. However, there are flashes of brilliance, such as the Cooper POV camera swiveling back and forth when he is laid up in bed in the hospital. Overall it's a pretty pitiful adapation though. Far too much Hollywood and not nearly enough Hemingway.
December 28, 2009
Pacing, superior acting and impressive direction make this one of best, if not the BEST, Hemingway adaptation ever put on screen. The cinematography is not there to be beautiful and it isn't just serviceable. It helps tell the story.

It's an emotional and believable story. One buys the love story, the sadness and the desperation. As stylized as it is, like great poetry, it is sincere and delivers a truth that is undeniable.
½ September 1, 2009
Helen Hayes and Gary Cooper made every scene between them count in this film, and the ending was done beautifully. The only problem was I felt a little disconneted to the story - which I think was more to do with my frame of mind whilst watching than anything else. I think before I can be sure of a rating I'll need to rewatch the film, but for now down to the acting alone (plus the fact Gary Cooper was easy on the eye in this film) and because the ending was beautifully bitter sweet I'll give this film 3 1/2.