The Farmer's Daughter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Farmer's Daughter Reviews

December 20, 2013
Loretta Young won her Academy Award in this well made, nuanced (originally Finnish) scenario of a plain spoken country gal who delivers common hardworking sense to the conceited, know-everything swells in the big city (sorta like a female version of Mr. Deeds Goes To Town). The frosting is thick on this cake but its still pretty good and its ladled out by a entire cast of totally recognisable character regulars. Like many old school visits to the dreamtime along with the realisation that this dreamworld never existed is the somewhat charming wish "that wouldn't it great if it did though?"
September 18, 2013
Tame story about another country girl meeting a rich politician and falling in love. This time, however, the characters were great. I loved the butler that called everyone by their first name and the mother was wonderful.
August 16, 2013
Cute if slightly silly movie that would likely be critically panned today. Despite the loss of innocence in the post war period, this still depicts a world that displayed innocence in film..
½ June 27, 2013
This is a simple story that just worked & actually scored Loretta Young her first academy award for Lead Actress.

The story of the daughter of a immigrant farmer and her travels to the big smoke to become a Nurse who ends being a butler for a political family & then finds herself in the political ring.

It's a charming film even though its incredibly predictable & you can see it all coming. Loretta really put the effort in & her performance shows.

A classic that is know engrained in society & is often referred to in quotes & jokes, a good film worth watching.
July 3, 2012
I love this movie. it is Young's best film. Totally charming.
January 2, 2012
I seriously loved this movie.
June 1, 2011
She is really brilliant for me to set a good modal. When I am totally lost, i will watch this movie again. Now Voyager.
February 25, 2010
Oscar win best actress Loretta Young
September 12, 2009
OK ? Loretta Young won an Oscar for her performance in this film. So, right off the bat, you might think that you?re going to see a piece of high-caliber cinema?more high-brow than fun. Well, nothing could be further from the truth. This movie is pure FUN! It?s a charming, innocent romantic comedy that stars Loretta Young as Katrin, the only daughter of Swedish immigrants who?you guessed it?own a farm. She saves up enough for nursing school in ?Capital City? and heads into the real world of skyscrapers and scam artists. After losing her money to the latter, she goes to work in a mansion owned by the matriarch of a political family?who also happens to live there with her single, attractive son. WOW! What a coincidence! Please don?t think I?m poking fun at this film?but to be honest it?s more of a guilty pleasure than anything. It?s not high art and Young, even though she is just perfect as Katrin, this is not an Oscar-worthy role, per se. Oscars are won for Shakespeare and for The Lion in Winter, not sweet films where the smile doesn?t leave your face throughout. So, if you are looking for an entertaining, delightful film that you might have missed, check this one out. It?s sure to please!
½ August 24, 2009
Sentimental at it's WORST.

Young DID NOT deserve the Oscar.
February 26, 2009
A very good movie on how much we should know about the people we put into power.
January 18, 2009
Loretta Young, Best Actress, 1947, as "Katrin Holstrom" in "The Farmer's Daughter".
½ September 12, 2008
Pretty fun political comedy about a poor Swedish girl (played by Loretta Young in her Oscar winning role) who gets a job as a maid for a congressman. Young is oustpoken with her political views, and of course falls in love with the congressman, played nicely by Joseph Cotten. Nice story with a great supporting cast, especially Ethel Barrymore and Charles Bickford. The ending is fun though the very end seemed too quick, and I felt that with the title of the film, we probably should have seen more of "The Farmer". Anyway, it's a sweet film.
September 11, 2008
I'm surprised this film was even made in 1947. I was also surprised that people thought it was a funny movie. Sure, it has its funny moments, but the drama and romance are real. Loretta Young first comes off as a stereotypical Swedish-American, but she adds such depth to the role it's inspiring. Not to mention, there is a lot of political commentary that apply to then and apply to now. I can see why Loretta Young won her Oscar for Best Actress.
½ June 29, 2008
A wonderful uplifting comedy ahead of its time. Loretta Young deserved her Oscar for this role.
June 28, 2008
its like mr. smith goes to Washington meets Pamela (a novel by Samuel Richardson)...overall it is a fairly decent movie especially if you like old movies..
½ June 28, 2008
Awful, unfunny, unengaging, unrealistic. It proves that the modern 'romantic comedy' was in fact written long, long ago and has been retreaded on an annual basis.
½ May 27, 2008
This is a good movie
April 12, 2008
This was an alright movie.
March 28, 2008
i enjoyed this movie... especially what the father says to his daughter near the end of the movie.. thought provoking:)