The Ex - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ex Reviews

½ October 3, 2016
The best scene about this movie was the young kid swallowing a hamburger in 10 - 15 seconds.... The rest of the story line was utter trash, Jason Bateman was so much of an asshole it almost made this movie unwatchable
June 8, 2016
a few good laughs as jason bateman, an ex of a man's (zach braff) wife whom he works with, fakes having to use a wheelchair. He manipulates everyone into thinking Braff is the bad guy and turns family and his wife against him. Its at time hard to watch because his luck is soo bad and some laughs are spaced too far apart.
December 26, 2015
There are some funny scenes but from half way to the end the movie loses something
½ August 10, 2015
Ok, but not great. Don't care to watch it again. Probably laughed 2 maybe 3 times. Pretty disappointing for a Jason Bateman movie.
½ July 27, 2015
Sometimes we need a stupid movie just to relax and not worry about things. This movie started out decent for a comedy. It set up the story well, but that's they best it could get. The movie is about Tom Reilly (Zach Braff) and his wife Sofia (Amanda Peet) are in for some major changes now that they have a newborn. As a lawyer, Sofia has always provided a comfortable living while Tom has contributed love, support and the occasional paycheck. When Sofia decides to be a stay-at-home mom all that changes. Tom moves the family to Ohio to work for his father-in-law as an assistant associate creative for Sunburst Communications. His boss Chip (Jason Bateman) happens to still carry a torch for Sofia from their high school days.

The movie really didn't make us laugh to much at all. Jason Bateman played his character very well I thought though if you want the lone bright spot of the movie. The movie was also very predictable. The cast seems very solid for this type of movie, but there was nothing spectacular to make me want to recommend it anybody at all.

Jason Bateman gives a solid performance, but the story is very predictable and boring.

2.5 out of 5
May 10, 2015
Supposedly, we'd seen this movie, but you'd think I'd remember such great actors in such a bleh movie!
January 2, 2015
Decent comedy with Zach Braff. It has some funny moments and pretty okey story so its worth seeing. I enjoyed it and comedy is always welcome.
½ December 15, 2014
Zach Braff and Jason Batemen team up in "the EX". Braff plays Tom Reilly who can't hold a job, and needs to start being mature with his wife (Amanda Peet) who just had his child. To prove hes worthy he takes a job at his inlaws, and believes his new co-worker and ex-boyfriend of his wife is out to get him. The Ex has some comedic parts, but was disappointing given the comedic talent in this movie.
½ November 17, 2014
Needs Its Own "Moosha-Wakii" In Sympathy To Any Audience Member a that Manages To Sit All The Way Thru a This...Without Having Your Attention Diverted, Due To Bordem.
½ September 27, 2014
this should be a instant classic with this casting.... terrible script
September 27, 2014
Zach Braff pushes a crippled Jason Bateman down a flight of stairs in the trailer. Hopefully the rest of the movie is like that.
½ September 1, 2014
So much potential...
August 22, 2014
This movie is hilarious
½ August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - Summer 2009)
½ April 30, 2014
From the pit of my stomach I say "I hate this film."
It has no characters that are even the bit likeable. Unfair, unpleasant things happen to the protagonist that are meant to be funny, but make me frown and wince as the awkwardness and unreasonable events occurring.
This is a selfish film, that is unfunny, that is stupid, that is one of the worst films of 2006.
March 16, 2014
I just want to see it for Jason Bateman.
February 5, 2014
Just because of Bateman.
February 4, 2014
I guess this is why we haven't seen much from Zach Braff recently! I wish we would direct again!!
January 5, 2014
zach braff films are always in my top lists