Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got racing renegades (Fast & Furious 6, starring Vin Diesel and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson); the Wolfpack on the prowl (The Hangover Part III, starring Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms): and a fantastical forest (Epic, with voice work by Amanda Seyfried and Beyoncé Knowles). What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

What a turn around for a series that was regularly rotter. Fast 6 looks cool, and I could see it being the third biggest box office film of the summer. Hangover 3, who cares. Before Midnight is the one I really want to see, but I can wait until video.

May 23 - 10:19 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Wow, I thought Fast Five was a fluke getting Certified Fresh in the mid-70s. Now the sixth installment does it, too. I did not enjoy Fast Five, so I doubt part six will change my feelings towards the franchise.

Seems Todd Phillips has been wanting to do some darker drama stuff for a while now, but I find it odd he would take the third part in his massively popular comedy franchise, and decide to throw away most of the comedy. Ballsy, I will commend him on that, as well as props for trying to do something different compared to the horrible retread that was Part II, but I just find it jarring. I guess that answers my question as to why there were hardly any jokes in the trailer. Might also answer why WB held out for so long before releasing any promotional materials until a mere two months before the theatrical release; trying to sell a comedy mostly absent of comedy is a tough gig for the marketing team.

May 24 - 01:04 AM

Dave J

I guess you're not into fast car films or films about fast cars!

May 24 - 12:36 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Dave doesn't remember the Crunk's love for "Drive".

May 24 - 01:34 PM

Dave J

Well, I wouldn't exactly call "Drive" an action fast car movie per se since the only major action driving scene I recall are seen from the reflection of a hanging mirror! And although "Drive" is a good movie, it's scenes are more closer to "Sonatine" and "Fireworks" than "Fast And the Furious"!

May 24 - 03:30 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Also the car is real in Drive. Aint no place for real cars in Fast and the Furious. Only Homo erotic bromances with hot girl friends they would rather talk about then do anything with...Nin-Jit-Vroom and Car-Fu!

May 24 - 03:47 PM

Dave J

Incorrect Bradley Martin, for actual action films they always consist to show two types -actual models and fake ones! The reason that is because every actual car that gets wrecked and totalled if the stunt is not done correctly would be costly to the studio that have to pay for them! Studios use fake ones for many car crashes because it's more expensive than it would be to crash real ones! They're called stunt model cars which are used in almost every car crash movie imaginable!

Which reminds me, often I've read about unbeknownst car buyers who thought they were buying the actual thing but as a result of tracing some of the serial numbers later found that they were car crash doubles used in action movies!

The famous chase scene in "Bullitt" are not the only cars used throughout the entire film, other cars were also used as well if the stunt drivers didn't do what the director wanted!

May 24 - 04:15 PM

HedRat

HedRat .

Keep your brain matter in your skull my friend. It's not as good as Fast Five. There are a series of 'huh-what?' double-taking leaps of logic just to get to the next set piece and most of the fights are so blurred you can't tell what's going on. It peaks with the tank.

May 24 - 04:33 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

If you are watching a fast and furious movie expecting logic then you're doing it wrong.

May 24 - 05:29 AM

Dave J

As if number 5 makes sense too!

May 24 - 12:50 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

May 24 - 05:29 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Wait, so you guys wanted it to stay the same, the hangover 2 did, and then you hated it? Now this third one is different, and you hate it? Hey a bad movie is a bad movie, but the logic behind not liking the sequels doesn't add up.

May 24 - 05:31 AM

King  S.

King Simba

That's really the problem with sequels to comedies. They try to repeat the same premises, it's just not as funny the second time. They try to make it different and they lose what made the first film so good. Honestly, outside of some spoofs which have the advantage of being less plot focused than typical comedies (Naked Gun 2, Hot Shots 2) I can't think of any comedy sequel that I enjoyed as much as the original.

May 24 - 09:50 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

I liked Cannonball Run II better than Cannonball Run. The monkey is just too damn funny!

May 24 - 10:22 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Fast and Furious 6 is coming out just in time so douche bag 17 years old can bring out their grandmother bought ricer cars with kits on them to show to their 15 year old girlfriends. Can't wait to see burn-outs and VTec everywhere this summer.

May 24 - 05:34 AM

ChanandelerBong

Chandler Bing

I wish this comment section had an upvote option sir!

May 24 - 07:42 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Linkater's Hawke/Deply first two outings where great. I have seen them a good deal of times. When I heard a third film would be released I was hoping for the worst. However, if the rotten indicator is anything to go by (and it usually is)the the movie is bound to be as good as the first two. really happy about that. FF is the sort of movie that will never get more than the five minutes it sucked out of my life back when it's first entry aired on TV. I tough it so ridiculous and bland that I vouched to never watch it again, regardless of the ratings. I don't mind a little popcorn entertainement but those FF movies are too ridiculous and dull to consider. As for Hangover III i'll watch it whenever It's available for downloa... err... rent online. I actually liked the second Hangover, I laughed a good deal despite the fact that basically a crueder version of the first one. It was dumb but fun nonetheless (see, I CAN enjoy some popcorn cinema). Not interested in any of the other movies listed.

May 24 - 08:11 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

clicking "like" . . . you're one sharp guy John Noto

May 24 - 09:50 AM

King  S.

King Simba

May 24 - 09:50 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Fast and Furious produces an ADRENALIN RUSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh . . . fast-paced, awesome cars, BEAUTIFUL WOMEN you can't miss! The Hangover is about sex with a monkey . . . I'd rather see fast cars and beautiful BABES than watch a movie where a guy has sexual intercourse with a monkey.

May 24 - 09:53 AM

Dave J

I'm with you on that one, speaking as a guy of course!

May 24 - 12:22 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

Whoa who had sex with a monkey? now im definitely interested.

May 24 - 12:40 PM

Dave J

That was shown on "The Hangover" number 2, number 3 might be the giraffe!

May 24 - 01:08 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

@Dave J...im really looking forward to that.

May 24 - 02:29 PM

Dave J

Yeah, those animal intimacy scenes can always guarantee plenty of laughs!

May 24 - 03:21 PM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

May 24 - 10:22 AM

Dave J

I'm with you on that one, speaking as a guy of course!

May 24 - 12:22 PM

Dave J

I guess you're not into fast car films or films about fast cars!

May 24 - 12:36 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Dave doesn't remember the Crunk's love for "Drive".

May 24 - 01:34 PM

May 24 - 03:30 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

May 24 - 03:47 PM

May 24 - 04:15 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

Whoa who had sex with a monkey? now im definitely interested.

May 24 - 12:40 PM

Dave J

That was shown on "The Hangover" number 2, number 3 might be the giraffe!

May 24 - 01:08 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

@Dave J...im really looking forward to that.

May 24 - 02:29 PM

Dave J

Yeah, those animal intimacy scenes can always guarantee plenty of laughs!

May 24 - 03:21 PM

Dave J

As if number 5 makes sense too!

May 24 - 12:50 PM

Dave J

I think one of the major problems with the second and perhaps this third "Hangover" films is that as each film continues Todd Philips begins to have less creative control since if any of it's main characters didn't like something or someone for that matter- they can ask him to change it and do something else instead! I think viewers saw this happening when Philips initially wanted to include Mel Gibson for a brief cameo for number 2, and that one of it's cast members didn't want that to happen forcing Phillips to "adapt" to what the actors want instead of what Todd Phillips himself want! This is a prime example of the amount of power actors can have over a script!

May 24 - 12:58 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer