Fast Company - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fast Company Reviews

½ January 1, 2016
Once again Cronenberg in unusual terrain. Who would have though he would do a drag-racing movie? Even though its pretty clean cut and easy watchable. Some love, some intriguers, some actiong, some violence. It's a little bit of everything, though far from his mutilating abnormality in the film-sense.
½ October 27, 2014
Cronenberg's weakest film.
½ January 18, 2014
A normal Cronenberg movie, yet it still retains his signature style. A little goofy but entertaining movie.
April 4, 2013
Even in a yee-haw drive-in flick about manly men drivin' cars, Cronenberg manages to sneak in some body-consciousness.
October 27, 2012
Not a typical Cronenberg film. Pit lane tensions overheat in Edmonton between top funny car racer Lonnie "Lucky Man" Johnson and his sponsor, FastCo Motor Treatment. Could have been even better if Don "the Snake" Prudhomme made a cameo.
September 27, 2012
Cronenberg is the director for hire here, and he has made a sublime racing picture, with an unforgettable cast of characters. Rattling confidently like the ramshackle cars driven by our team, the picture is simultaneously a sports parable about integrity and a deep meditation on the sport of drag racing. You can smell the fuel, the burning rubber, cold dawnings on a deserted racetrack by an alfalfa field, and all those oily characters. You may laugh at the butt rock anthems on the soundtrack, but if you don't root for Lonnie Johnson and Billy, I don't want to know you.
½ February 21, 2012
Drag racing. Funny cars. David Cronenberg? Ah, right, he's a racing fan and this was a joyride for him around the time of when he made The Brood. The ending was pretty badass, lol, didn't expect all that to happen, although I guess I should have saw it coming. It was enjoyable, a popcorn flick, and you gotta love the music.
½ January 7, 2012
Fast Company is, by far, David Cronenberg's least interesting film.
½ March 7, 2011
Not too shabby for a 70s movie about drag racing. Along with some of the most awesomly cheesy music in cinematic history. I found myself clapping to the end credits song.
February 9, 2011
A pretty average 70's movie. Very surprised that it was David Cronenburg. The most notable thing about it in my memory is that it was filmed in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The city I grew up in. Brings back alot of memories of places from back in the day.
January 17, 2011
November 11, 2010
Cronenberg fans be warned this is probably the worst film he has ever made and it just lacks the feeling of all of his previous and latter films. The film follows a car racing company and the problems they deal with day to day including a greedy oil executive that put profits before safety. If you are not a fan of car racing at all this film is worthless, if you're a fan of Cronenberg it's still worthless, but if you're a fan of the late great b-movie goddess Claudia Jennings than it is worth a rental.
October 22, 2010
vraiment pas mon genre de film
½ August 28, 2010
Betrays its exploitation roots in the third act with some ludicrous scenes, but for the most part it's surprisingly dramatic and it kept my interest to the end. The shot composition is quite nice too.
March 25, 2010
February 11, 2010
2: It's fairly obvious Fast Company was made by someone that has their own unique vision, but it's so radically different from Cronenberg's usual oeuvre that I couldn't tell it was his vision. It's either that he hadn't quite figured out what he wanted to say or how to do it, or he simply took a different approach due to the subject matter. It's little more than a B-picture about drag racing. Some of the performances and the manner in which it was shot are the only things that give it away. It's a reasonably entertaining film, but I can see why it was forgotten. It's probably one of the ten best films he's made, but it pales in comparison to what I think of as typical Cronenberg (A History of Violence, Crash, The Fly, Eastern Promises, Spider, Videodrome, etc). I suspect this was pretty popular at the time among 13-25 year old males (lots of naked breasts and fast cars).
½ January 28, 2010
Fast cars, coked up broads, and a sleazy John Saxon. It really is a shame that this is Cronenberg's only movie with Saxon. It would have seemed that the two were made for each other. The plot is silly, the acting hammy, and the car racing barely there. Still, its worth it just for the awful music and because it's Claudia Jennings last cocaine fueled performance, before she ascended into the great car crash in the sky.
December 8, 2009
A Cronenberg film that's not about violations/transformations of the body? What? About drag racing? Huh? For realz. As a decidedly B-movie, this is actually pretty decent. Definitely some effort put into the camera work, the story is throwaway, but there's some pretty neat footage of the racing and such. I guess if you're into fast cars driving REALLY fast in a straight line for very short distances...

Also has one of the most hilarious exploding endings EVER. I actually had to re-wind it twice and go frame-by-frame to understand what happened. What happened is, no joke, the racer guy chases after the evil executive (who is taking off in an airplane) with his race car, and rams into the plane, causing it to fly into the air, then back down out of the air into the company's racing trailer which EXPLODES!

The cast is hilarious. You have a metric plethora of hicks and rednecks. Even the "babes" in the movie are, uh, shall we say, of a decidedly B-movie quality. And one of the characters is named Meatball. And he actually looks not too dissimilar to Meatloaf, perhaps they are related? This movie also has the cheesiest motor-oil-innuendo-leading-to-a-threesome-with-the-two-hitchiking-shortshorts-montanagirls in a freaking redneck racing trailer that one could ever imagine.

This movie is what it is, and nothing more.
½ August 20, 2009
Fast Company is, by far, David Cronenberg's least interesting film.
½ August 17, 2009
Top Fuel driver battles ethically bankrupt team president. A real curiosity and surprisingly ordinary subject matter when compared to Cronenberg's other work. Expected a little more given the actors and director involved.