Fast Food Nation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fast Food Nation Reviews

½ March 22, 2014
Anti meat propaganda film.. I'm a pet and animal lover and it will always sadden me to see the slaughter. But it is a fact of live. These cows (animals) are bred for this reason. I love meat and will continue to eat it. If these workers have the stomach to work there. More power to them. And I'm sure their pay is very good. (Minus the illegal-alien aspect). Still good pay anyway for them. According to the movie. It is interesting when they mentioned all the shit and piss in all the meat factory field being stored in shit ponds or where ever. That freaks me out. Cuz even that much cattle crapping in one area, will somehow get to out streams and water sources. Even sink into the ground water. But then again. The soil still should filter it enough before it gets to the water table. I hope that most of the cattle meat farms are in states with flat elevation when the shit water does flow to quickly to our streams. But it's 2014. Our technology and knowledge have corrected many of these common sense concerns. I like many if the actors in this movie but I suggest not watching it. It sucked.. And believe it or not, it didn't verbally assault the meat industry to bad. Just tried showing us. It seems to stay away from the politics also.
March 11, 2014
Something I'd grabbed cheap at Big Lots that turned out to be well worth the $3, though I wasn't prepared for the slightly scattershot feel of the ensemble cast, so that took a bit of getting used to, as I was expecting things to focus more on Greg Kinnear than on the other random folks we meet along the way.

Worth a rental.
½ March 1, 2014
Schlosser's book was a fast read and a shocking eye-opener on how McDonald's pretty much controls the American meat industry, with disasterous effects for the labor, health, meat-packing & ranching industries. So I'd like to see it. Another reason I can watch it is that I can finally look at Ethan Hawke, now that he's no longer married to Uma Thurman, who secretly loves me.
December 30, 2013
It's decent in the sense where it reminds us of where processed food comes from but for anyone who's mildly educated in the matter none of it is surprising. The part at the end with the slaughter was supposed to be a disturbing gross out, which yes it is but regardless of whether an animal is slaughtered on a ranch or slaughterhouse it's basically the same process so it really lacked the punch it was going for. Slaughterhouse, car factory, etc all run risk of hurting yourself when you're operating heavy machinery designed to cut things. The little "free the cows" escapade showing the cows not wanting to leave and be complacent connecting with the society's own complacency wasn't a stretch to grasp and kind of insulting really that it was supposed to have more of an impact.. Bringing in the illegal workers was pretty unnecessary considering the poor citizens in our own country working in factories aren't immune to the same situations with working in a dangerous factory at odd hours although it did add some melodrama. Nobody was forced to do anything that they didn't agree to in the first place. And why is this targeting only America like it's the only country in the world applicable to these things? I appreciate the heart behind it but really the whole yarn is pretty pointless.
½ November 19, 2013
Eric Schlosser's book, Fast Food Nation, is a great read because it gives engaging descriptions and details backed by research to explain the crazy state of our food economy, but this movie is just terrible. It is superficial. I am guessing (hoping) Schlosser regrets having his name and book associated with this title. Watch Food, Inc, to see the real version of his book...he's interviewed in that one and his stories are in it, too. Why the DVD Fast Food Nation has the name it does is a mystery to me. I am a teacher who has used the book in my class.
November 8, 2013
It's a well meaning picture, but a fictional film was not the way to approach the real life subject material.
July 29, 2013
i might want to see this movie but i'm sure if i did it would change my life and i like it the way it is.
June 5, 2013
a director on a mission with and interesting look at things.
June 3, 2013
Fictional film based on non-fictional book loses all creditbilty by using pseudo names and places instead of the facts. Long list of celebs participate in this but why? Should have just made a documentry about real dealings of the fast food industry instead of this boring scripted mess.
April 9, 2013
Very important message. Many of the good points from the book are missing, but the film gets it's intended point across.. Do yourself a favor and pick up the book.
½ March 31, 2013
As is often the case, the book is SO much better.
½ March 9, 2013
i wasn't able to enjoy this movie. so dirty. i eat fast food very rarely. however, after watching this movie, i won't. ugh, nasty meat! i'm not a vegetarian but it wasn't a pleasure to see the nasty & illegal butchery & guts. o yuck! i couldn't sleep and eat meat for a little while.
March 4, 2013
I'll have to see first!
½ February 20, 2013
Eye opening. I'll never look at fast food the same again. And if I do, I need to re-watch this.
February 14, 2013
"We all have to eat a little sh** from time to time." Director Richard Linklater helms the political drama Fast Food Nation. Inspired by a non-fiction book, the film follows several intertwining stories related to the fast-food industry; from the immigrant worker to the corporate executive. However, the stories are a bit disjointed and don't have a strong connection to each other. Still, they're quite interesting and have some compelling characters. The ensemble cast features Greg Kinnear, Patricia Arquette, Bruce Willis, Ethan Hawke, Kris Kristofferson, and Avril Lavigne; who all deliver solid performances. While it's fairly entertaining, the politics of Fast Food Nation end up interfering with the storytelling.
½ February 13, 2013
MESSAGE MOVIE! And it forces its message down your throat by making any character that isn't a simple-minded "activist" into a fucking coked up rapist. Horrible characterization and absolutely no satisfying resolution to most of the "plots". Ethan Hawke's character in particular just raped us with the movie's message. Oh, and fuck Avril Lavigne who is the walking, talking, product of this great machine that sucks in the minds of "rebellious" fourteen year old girls with hypocritical, shallow, bullshit.
February 6, 2013
An interesting and thought provoking film. The film feels fairly disjointed as you watch it, mostly because it tries to focus on too many elements of the fast food industry that it is parodying. I enjoyed all of the elements though they lost their strength through being spread out amongst others. To me, the most interesting parts of this film are the ones exploring the illegal workers in the meat factories. I thought the group of actors in this segment were fantastic and their performances were emotive. Perhaps this was marketed more as a fictional Supersize me, which is why I felt disappointed by the overall structure of the film. Never the less, the film itself was shockingly brutal and realistic, and made the audience question issues and sections of our society that we usually turn a blind eye to.
½ January 28, 2013
A brutally honest look at the magic behind fast food.
½ January 24, 2013
Promising, but needed to be a lot better.