Fast Times At Ridgemont High - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Reviews

½ December 31, 2015
In 8th graded I learned everything about high school by watching this movie. Watching it again there are so many interesting details--highly recommended.
December 15, 2015
Loved it. No plot. Fun high school film. Not so traditional. A couple romance angles. Fun plot about your regular group of stereotypes and the girl who you would think is the shy girl but wasn't at all. And crazy enough got pregnant. It's a lot of fun, it's a very good high school film with no particular point but about differnt age groups in different grades trying to make it through a year of high school.
November 13, 2015
One of the best 80s flicks.
November 11, 2015
Real details and sense of closeness to the era's youth. Captures trends in fashion and relationship as expected from a Heckerling film. Fun, but with a sense of seriousness about the business at hand - respectful of the subjects and human in approach even to teenage angst.
½ October 23, 2015
Amy Heckerling really gets teenagers and, while the film can't be called major in any way, you walk out afterwards feeling you've gotten some knowledge. And you'll never forget Sean Penn's performance.
October 20, 2015
awesome guilty pleasure comedy
½ September 20, 2015
Love this movie and Jason Leigh brightens up the screen
½ September 15, 2015
Very Funny 80s high school movie that is memorable because Sean Penn's excellent acting. Yet, I think that it could have been a better movie
½ August 22, 2015
A fun 80s teen comedy that made an interesting choice by not having a main character or story and opted instead for a snapshot of different teens lives. Sean Penns surfer character is the most memorable, yet no real story arch develops with him, and it actually doesn't need to.
"This is US History, I see the globe right there"
August 5, 2015
Even at this age Sean Penn looks like a complete creep.

Cute retro teen film though, if a bit painful.
July 26, 2015
Although I didn't LOVE the film, I honestly wanted more of it when it was over; Fast Times is a good coming of age movie with its own quirky tone that sets it aside from films like Dazed and Confused or American Graffiti.

One main difference between this film and the others mentioned is that this film covers an entire school year while Dazed and Confused and American Graffiti deal with the events in a town over the course of one day. The time flies by in this film as the editing uses hard cuts to transition to scenes which occur weeks or months later.

Comedy comes from all types of characters in this film, making it a great deal of fun. One of the funniest moments in the film is a famous one which I had no idea was a fantasy scene - Brad Hamilton imagines his sister's friend taking off her top and walking towards him. She catches him in the act, and it makes for a very awkward situation.

Even the serious characters, like Mr. Hand, bring life to the story. His interactions with Sean Penn's character are like separate quirky battles between the two of them.

I don't really get why Sean Penn is billed first in the credits - the main characters, at least in my eyes, are Stacy Hamilton and "Rat." However, I do have to admit parts with Sean Penn are some of the funniest in the movie, though Penn seems to overdo the stoner voice. The ending of the film was one of the best Sean Penn parts of the movie, which I will not reveal since it is a great moment which becomes a big payoff for a particular character.

Overall, the film is funny, light-hearted, and while there are many elements to the movie it goes by in a flash, just like the title states; it truly is the perfect title for the film.
½ July 6, 2015
What can you say other than this is a classic high school teen movie. It has the elements are pure, rich comedy, sex, rock and roll, and Sean Penn as a wannabe surfer dude. I definitely recommend this film.
½ June 19, 2015
It was alright. wasn't a fan but I can see why many people did enjoy it. For me, it was bland.
½ June 17, 2015
It's dated but contains timeless situations that all of us will relate to until robots take over physical labor and self driving cars are the only vehicles on the road.
June 13, 2015
Not as bad as I expected it would be. Some have said that teens commonly feel that no one understands them, and do act as though they are the centre of the world.

This could be seen as an accurate depiction of teen life.

John Hughes made better teen movies than this.
½ June 5, 2015
I'm a sucker for 80's and 90's ensemble comedies like Dazed and Confused and the like, so I enjoyed this movie a lot. There's always something appealing about having a large cast of characters (especially in high school, for some reason) and seeing how the various characters interact.

This movie didn't have as many friend group-based crossovers as Dazed and Confused; it was more content to follow several different characters' isolated journeys. Sean Penn as Jeff Spicoli seems to be the character that everyone remembers from this movie, and with good reason; he's a stoner reminiscent of the Californians SNL sketch, getting into all sorts of weird hijinks like ordering a pizza in class (a scene my dad constantly references). I really liked pretty much every scene/line with Spicoli, even though his character isn't exactly feel original anymore watching this in 2015. Sean Penn makes it his own thing, though, and there's something so good-natured about him that makes you like him despite his idiocy. I won't say the dynamic between him and Mr. Hand is MOVING, per se, but it had a bit more of an arc than I expected, and those final scenes between the two were unexpectedly...nice.

As usual, my least favorite conflicts were the ones that involved romantic relationships. Mike was being such a good friend to Mark throughout the movie (I particularly liked him returning Mark's wallet but purposely letting it slip to his date that he'd forgotten it) that it really bothered me once he slept with Stacy. There was too much time between Mark and Stacy's first date and their eventual reconciliation at the end of the movie, so I was a little disappointed by that conflict. That said, points for including a nice scene where Stacy makes the definitive decision to get an abortion and is gently comforted by her older brother afterwards.

My least favorite part of the movie was probably the third quarter, or maybe most of the second third - whenever all that friend betrayal was going on. The rest of that time was taken up by Brad Hamilton's shenanigans, which I also didn't love. The pirate getup was amusing, but the bit with his crush walking in on him jacking off to a fantasy of her was a little over-the-top and obvious. This is only a quibble because the whole time it was pretty entertaining, but I just didn't love it.

And it's fine because the first and third acts are pretty strong. I really like how Mark and Stacy are each introduced individually and developed nicely so that neither is some outlandish crush. I really liked Mike's kind of coaching Mark to be charming, and there was something strangely adorable about the scene in the cafeteria with Linda teaching the naive Stacy how to give a blowjob. When all the guys at the next table over start clapping and Stacy realizes they saw her pantomiming a blowjob on a carrot, Jennifer Jason Leigh shrinks away with this sort of embarrassed laugh, and there's something enormously endearing about it.

Also enormously endearing: Mark and Stacy's romance overall. Like I said, the film falters a little once it tries to actually introduce serious conflict. I didn't like Mike 'stealing' Stacy from Mark, and I didn't love Mark sort of blowing her off just because he was scared of sex, or whatever that was. That said, all of their scenes were still cute, and I was really rooting for the two of them, which made their last scene together really cute.

Overall, this was a movie that was strongest in its moments of levity and lazy drifting, the unfocused scenes of high school hijinks and teenagers having relatable conversations about sex and life. It faltered when it tried too hard to force a conflict. Movies like Dazed and Confused prove that a movie can still be profound and entertaining with little to no ongoing conflict, so maybe more movies should adopt this loose and comedic style.
June 2, 2015
Amy Heckerling's movie remains a successful balancing act of being truly hilarious and painfully realistic depiction of that moment when a teenager is almost an adult but still very much a child. This "coming of age" movie remains timeless and features some great performances.
May 23, 2015
Awesomeness of Radical behavior ...
May 17, 2015
It doesn't seem to have a protagonist or a clear objective for one. Just a bunch of random high school events. It's like it tries to be American Graffiti, but misses the point.
May 9, 2015
A classic high school comedy that will deliver the laughs through the ages. Penn gives us one of the most iconic stoners in Hollywood history. In the end, there's no real plot to the film and that's the only shot I can take at this film. It's well worth a fun night. (79%)