Fat Head Reviews

• Jul 16, 2018

I've twice tried to make it through this film, but both times lost interest after having to endure the sound of the filmmaker's whining for about 45min.

• Jan 23, 2015

This may be the most libertarian documentary of all time, and it didn't even mean to be.

• Sep 12, 2014

It's all about the sugar.

It's all about the sugar.

• Jul 24, 2014

3/10 this comedian is a fucking retard

3/10 this comedian is a fucking retard

• Jun 23, 2014

I genuinely couldn't finish this movie. I kept checking to see how much more I had left. Not only is the production terrible (I'm talking lower budget than Tim and Eric great job-type stuff--bad graphics, often not filling the whole frame, bad music and random sound effects, slapstick humor, the same clip art over and over, strange skits?!, obnoxious repetitive vocabulary, the same cadence for every sentence in the V.O.), the content has a lot of issues too. There are a ton of logical fallacies--straw men, inconsistency, no true Scotsman, red herrings, etc. The movie perpetuates some myths (the only one that comes to mind is sugar rushes/crashes). The ideology gets in the way of its core message. It probably even lines up with my ideology for the most part, but the film maker is just so damn annoying, I couldn't take it. The people he debunks in the film are ass holes, but he's an ass hole too, and it doesn't make me want to keep watching. But I stuck it out 2/3 of the way through because I really enjoyed the heart of the content--all of the science and math behind this! Those "segments" are VERY well done. But so much could have been cut out of this. I only made it a bit less than 2/3 of the way through. This could have been really, really good if they had invested more time or review of the final product by someone who watches movies! It's just VERY difficult to watch.

• Mar 17, 2014

(For maximum enjoyment of this brilliant review, having seen Super Size me is recommended.) You could call Fat Head a response documentary for Super Size Me. It criticized the holes in Spurlock's arguments and exploited why Spurlock's experiment does not work. A sarcastic and straightforward documentary about the truth of fast food. Tom Naughton, a very critical and satirical person, proceeds to tell his audience why we shouldn't believe everything we told. Fat Head was definitely very amusing and very informative. Fat Head shows a more realistic point of view on fast food chains. Naughton easily pointed out how many of the claims in Super Size Me do not work. This effectively makes the audience revise their opinion on Super Size Me and fast-food chains in restaurants. Personally, I only realized there were many factors that were conveniently not discussed in Super Size Me after watching Fat Head. Naughton also shows his audience that many of the claims in Super Size Me were greatly exaggerated. Fat Head also explains how we truly become fat. Not only does that prove that McDonald's couldn't be blamed for obesity, but also that Super Size Me had not given its audience the full truth. It helped its audience understand why exactly fatty food, like McDonald's, is not necessarily the main cause for obesity, coronary heart disease, diabetes, etc. Fat Head is definitely recommended to those who have any desire to learn something new about fast food, health in general and why Super Size Me is an unreliable source of information.

• Mar 17, 2014

Fat head is an independently funded documentary by Tom Naughton. This documentary is thought to dispense the false truths perpetuated in documentaries such as 'Super Size Me' by Morgan Spurlock. If Morgan gained weight by fast food, Tom loses weight by fast food diet. Watching this film might make people think 'Fat Head' is just created to disprove 'Super Size Me' but I believe it was only half of it. This documentary contained more information than 'Super Size Me'. If 'Super Size Me' was influenced by too much opinion and the intent was to make money, 'Fat Head' was more on present information. Not only information but well done animation included in the film was amusing (frankly I found Ton's comments and jokes funnier than Morgan's). The film was very sarcastic. Tom claims that human are naturally feeded with animal fat, not vegetable oil, adding the subject metabolism in it (how it evolved). Tom believes it's the carbohydrates and sugar that makes you fat not the meat or protein. I loved the part where he shows animation on the difference between High Density Lipids(HDL) and Low Density Lipids(LDL). Many people have misconception that all cholesterols are bad but by introducing the role of HDL preventing plaque forming inside the blood vessels (preventing blockage in artery) gave a clear understanding on cholesterols. Tom's 30 days diet of animal fat (no carbohydrate) did prove to increase HDL, proving carbohydrate is the cause of obesity, so basically IT'S NOT HOW MUCH YOU EAT, BUT WHAT YOU EAT. Don't misunderstand. Tom is not trying to defend those fast foods out there that they are okay to eat, but he is trying to say it's our own choice that determine how healthy we will be. Tom showed actual data and gave historical points within the documentary (can be researchable). Like Morgan gained weight, Tom lost weight (I believe losing weight is much harder than gaining one). Tom also shared his idea on children nowadays taking school bus when they can walk, causing children to be more obese, trying to encourage kids to walk. This documentary clarifies the miss conceptions of eating fast food in an understandable way. You just need a functioning brain. Speakers in the documentary do gives point and scientifically proven facts to make people easily understand (does make the documentary slightly boring as it starts to preach on how fat is stored together with Lipid Hypothesis). For a very low budget documentary, this satisfied me the best from all documentaries I have watched so far. Ideas and concept are arranged well in the film that grasps audience's attention. People can learn to stay healthy by exercising, reducing carbohydrate and consuming enough calories. One very engaging documentary!

• Mar 16, 2014

In response to a documentary entitled Super Size Me by Morgan Spurlock, Tom Naughton conducted an experiment which proves that eating fast foods will not make a person obese. He decided to eat Mc Donalds regularly for exactly 28 days using a ?functioning brain?, which means that he knows what to order and when to stop eating it. He did the medical check up before and after his experiment, and the result was shocking. He lost 12 pounds, his body fat lowered down and he has no adverse health problem. In the beginning of his documentary, Tom claims that Morgan exaggerated the effects of eating fast food. Based on his calculation, there is no way that Morgan consumed more than 5000 kcal per day by eating Mc Donalds three times a day. He also insist that it is not Mc Donalds fault that people are obese, because they are not trying to force people to eat Mc Donalds or to supersize their meals. Again, it depends from person to person. Tom also explained that Government also takes part in making American obese. Instead of letting children to walk, they provides school bus facility to take children home from school. The most interesting part of this documentary is the fact that reducing the consumption of carbohydrates will help people to lose weight. After conducting an experiment regarding fast food, Tom decided to conduct a month diet without consuming carbohydrates and increasing the consumption of animal fats. The result was amazing! Tom lost his weight even though he replaced the wheat and grains into fried bacon, egg fried with butter and other fatty and oily food. This results to another fact that too much sugar will make poeple fat. Overall, this documentary is very entertaining and informative. It clarify the miss conception of eating fast food in an understandable way. The experts who support the ideas help the audience to understand things better based on scientific evidence. It is highly recommended for people who loves to eat fast food because the will know how to use their ?functioning brain? in a proper way.

• Mar 16, 2014

The movie "Fat Head" is a documentary created by Tom Naughton, which refutes the documentary Supersize me and the Lipid Hypotesis theory. Which he ate only fast food in 30 days and see the results in his body. During his diet, he aimed to keep his caloric intake to be 2000 calories, and carbohydrate to be only 100 grams a day, but he doesn't restrict his sugar and fat intake. He also take 6 night walks which he usually do only 3 night walks. By the end of his experiment, he loses 12 pounds, his blood pressure and cholesterol decrease. This movie tries to explain in detail, scientifically why american citizen have gained weight in average, compared to the past. Tom Naughton also tries to argue with Morgan Spurlock, the director of "Supersize Me" some arguments that were made in that documentary, such as, that people are unaware that fast food is high in calories because there are no information facts in McD, which Tom succeed to proof by asking people. Tom also argues that no one is being forced to eat fast food, and fast food restaurants are just to satisfy the demand of fast food. and that if fast food restaurants did not exist, people would satisfy that demand by eating the same food at other restaurants or at home. Naughton also questions Spurlock's claim that his 30-day diet resulted in signs of addiction, in light of the fact that Spurlock apparently had no difficulty in ceasing eating fast food at the end of his experiment. Tom also questions the use of BMI(Body Mass Index) to calculate whether someone is overweight, obese or normal, because it only counts the ratio of body mass to weight, which he is considered to be obese according to BMI. The documentary also focuses on the science and politics of the recommended nutrition intake from the government. It states the facts that there are some politics behind this nutrition recommendation by the U.S. government, which is only money benefit. It does a really good job arguing about the liquid hypotesis theory which states that high fat diet links to high chance of getting a heart disease which is approved by nearly all doctor and scientists, he made it really clear that these are just fake and it's amazing how people have been fed up by this false statement. This documentary is not only funny and entertaining, but also highly informative. It explains clearly the science behind losing weight and gaining weight. I personally love how Tom put humor in his explanation and arguments, and sometimes using cartoon. But in some point in the documentary it's too full of information and gets a little bit boring. I highly recommend this documentary to be watched by anybody because it really educates me about the misconception of losing and gaining weight.

• Jan 12, 2014

Important film if interested in how food and health intersect. I needed to watch it twice as soon many basic misconceptions were reviewed. A lot of issues come on back to "follow the money"!!!